You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 6:55pm

Small calibre weapons and torpedoes

Currently with SS, entering the number of torpedoes carried doesn't alter the load on the ship. It only interferes with the amount of deckspace availiable. It doesn't allow for the weight of the torpedo or the launcher. A small bit of looking through facts shows that a launcher+torpedo weighs roughly twice that of the torpedo.

i.e. for a 1mt 450mm torpedo, a launcher would weigh c. 2t

It is similar with small calibre weapons. An octuple 2pdr mount weighs 15mt. SS thinks that it weighs 1ton.

I propose that on future vessels that are fitted with TT and light guns, it should be necessary to caluclate the weight of these. It will have a significant impact, especially on destroyers.

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 7:04pm

Quoted

I propose that on future vessels that are fitted with TT and light guns, it should be necessary to caluclate the weight of these. It will have a significant impact, especially on destroyers.

Sure! Now I have to go and redesign all the 43,251 designs I have made for the future! (not)
You have a point with the small caliber guns, but with the torpedo mounts (as well as torpedoes BTW), I always assume that that falls under the miscellaneous weights.

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 9:37pm

Italy has nukes! I knew it!

"One megaton" torpedoes!!
^_^

*ahem*

I presumed that SS included the torpedoes and tubes as part of the "hull, fittings and equipment" weight calculation. Reloads, however, require misc. weight.

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 10:11pm

The prefix for mega is "M", "m" being for "milli". But I was taking it to be Metric Tons.

SS might include it in that bit. I'll have a play. The AA guns are still way under though.

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 10:13pm

It may depend on which AA guns we're talking about. The octuple 2 pounder might be way low, but how about the bog-standard 20mm single?

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 10:38pm

Oerlikon 20mm single weighs 0.7t or so. SS says it weighs 0.0305tons.

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 10:49pm

That's different from the 0.067 tons I got...
I think that with the weight of the "armament" in the SS file, the weight of the gun is given, not that of the mount. The mount itself might actually fall under the "hull, fittings and equipment" like how Swamphen looks at the torpedo mounts and tubes.
The problem is that we can't be certain about that. Ian might be able to tell us a bit more about those calculations.