You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 4th 2011, 3:22pm

German News and Events, 1st Quarter 1941

Kieler Nachrichten, Thursday, 2 January 1941

The city was flooded with dignitaries yesterday as the keel of Germany’s newest aircraft carrier, named Gneisenau in honor of the great Field Marshal August Graf Neidhardt von Gneisenau, and in memory of the Great War armoured cruiser of the same name. More than three thousand workmen are employed in the dockyard in the various aspects of her construction, which is expected to continue over the next two years at least. While a sister vessel was also laid down in Cuxhaven Kiel exults in the latest example of her citizens’ expertise in shipbuilding and the nation can rest assured that the Gneisenau will be built with the thoroughness that is typical of the dockyards of this city.

Nachrichten für Außenhandel, Friday, 3 January 1941

The Hamburg-South Amerika liner Monte Pascoal departed the port of Hamburg yesterday bound for Rio de Janeiro via Lisbon and Pernambuco. In addition to her 118 cabin passengers she is expected to take on steerage passengers at Lisbon for onward transit to Brazil. Her cargo includes: twenty-two automobiles, 93 bales of automobile tires, 71 cases of automobile parts and several agricultural tractors; 63 cases of metalworking machinery, 200 cases of hardware, 110 kegs of rivets, 184 bundles of steel pipe, 400 tons of steel rails and no less than 4,000 bales of barbed wire, among other metal goods; more than 1,000 cases of porcelain, 170 cases of toilet soap and 880 cases of spirits, among other sundries; and 180 boxes of aircraft parts.

Militär-Wochenblatt, Monday, 6 January 1941

It is reported that the first round of tests for the Hs293 glider bomb were successfully completed late last month, it being demonstrated that the weapon can be launched from an aircraft and guided to its target. The preliminary results have confirmed the Defence Ministry’s decision to proceed with further tests under the direction of Doctor Herbert Wagner of the Henschel Flugzeugwerke.

Monday, July 4th 2011, 3:24pm

Deutsche Rundschau Special Feature - January 1941

Monday, July 4th 2011, 6:40pm

Governmental Deliberations

The Defence Ministry Situation Room, Berlin – Tuesday, 7 January 1941

Since the outbreak of hostilities between China and the Philippines the previous autumn meetings in the Situation Room had become far more common than Konrad Adenauer would have wished, but a necessary evil to assure that Germany steered clear of the rocks strewn in her path by the conflicting interests of the combatants and the great powers that hovered in the wings.

Adenauer scanned the faces of his advisors, the civilians and the military; Heuss, Gessler, Bruning and Erhard; Von Runstedt, Raeder and Kesselring. And Canaris, the grey eminence of information.

“Let us begin gentlemen,” Adenauer said. “Herr Bruning, will you summarise the latest diplomatic developments?”

“Yes Herr Chancellor,” replied Bruning. “There are hints that the Chinese have been sounding out several of the great powers to intervene on their behalf; our ambassador in Paris reports that an unimpeachable source indicated that the Chinese specifically sought the assistance of the French Navy in unspecified offensive operations against the Philippines.”

Adenauer was taken aback – and he saw surprise on the faces of everyone else in the room. “Are they mad? A French intervention would provoke every other European power. The French are not so foolish.“

Bruning smiled. “No, according to the source the French authorities were quite amused by the suggestion but turned it down flatly. From what we have learned, there have been no positive reactions to the Chinese proposals.”

Along with everyone else Adenauer was visibly relieved; outside intervention in the Sino-Philippine conflict could lead to world war – which Adenauer was determined to avoid. “What does Ambassador Rosen have to say on this matter?”

“We have not directly communicated the substance of the report to him – but in response to indirect inquires he advises that no approach to him has been made by the Chinese Government,” Bruning concluded with a nod.

“Score one for the Chinese,” thought Admiral Canaris. His own sources suggested that similar requests had been made to Russia, Britain and to China’s own ally Japan, all with similar results. No power wished to see the war widened.

“Very well,” Adenauer replied. “Herr Bruning, please monitor this situation carefully. If any of the powers seem to be shifting in favor of widening the war, we must be ready to respond immediately.” Bruning acknowledged the instruction.

“Admiral Raeder, will you provide your assessment of the conflict so far?”

“Herr Chancellor, it appears that the Chinese have taken the initiative thus far in the conflict; while the balance of losses between the two navies are somewhat close, the fact that the Chinese were able to carry out a surprise attack on the Filipino naval base at Subic Bay with small losses definitely gives them the initiative and ability to strike when and where they wish. Among the vessels destroyed in that attack were several battle casualties – raising Filipino losses to four light cruisers and five destroyers. And the Chinese still hold their base on Itu Aba in the Spratley Islands – the casus belli – despite persistent Filipino attempts to dislodge them. Quite frankly, the Filipinos have not been fighting well – and given the recent elections – it is not clear whether that will change.”

Adenauer looked at Bruning, “Herr Gruber agrees with this assessment?” The German ambassador in Manila was noted for his friendship with the Filipino people.

“Unfortunately yes Herr Chancellor. While the conduct of the war was an election issue, he does not see the new government as being any better equipped to prosecute the war than their predecessors.”

Canaris cleared his throat. “Herr Chancellor, there are some developments on the intelligence front that may have bearing on our deliberations.”

Adenauer quickly turned his attention to the chief of the Abwehr. “How so?”

“Despite their apparent military shortcomings, the Filipinos have been able to maintain good lines of communication with their traditional friends in the United States – they have acquired no less than twelve older destroyers from that source, making good their losses so far; and they have acquired a further six destroyers from Italy.”

“Italy? I am surprised that they are angling in such troubled waters,” commented Bruning.

“From all indications,” Canaris repled, “it was a straight-forward commercial transaction. However, as the Italian Government allowed it to go forward during time of hostilities it does have implications in their diplomatic view of the hostilities.”

“So,” Adenauer summarized, “the Filipinos have been two potential friends at court. What about the Chinese – have they found anyone to support them?”

“Ambassador von Dirksen reports that Mexico has sold them six obsolete frigates,” Bruning admitted.

“That is all we have been able to confirm so far,” added Canaris.

“It is clear to me that this conflict is heading into a new and more dangerous phase,” Adenauer admitted. “While European intervention is unlikely, I am greatly concerned about the position of the United States and the views of its new government. Germany must increase its ability to respond flexibly. Admiral Raeder, I will be recommending to the full cabinet approval of the naval programme for 1941 and its acceleration if possible.”

Raeder nodded. “Thank you Herr Chancellor.”

Monday, July 4th 2011, 7:34pm

RE: Governmental Deliberations

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
“Despite their apparent military shortcomings, the Filipinos have been able to maintain good lines of communication with their traditional friends in the United States – they have acquired no less than twelve older destroyers from that source, making good their losses so far; and they have acquired a further six destroyers from Italy.”

“Italy? I am surprised that they are angling in such troubled waters,” commented Bruning.

“From all indications,” Canaris repled, “it was a straight-forward commercial transaction. However, as the Italian Government allowed it to go forward during time of hostilities it does have implications in their diplomatic view of the hostilities.”

I had to have a good think about that one but I did eventually remember that Italy agreed to sell the Cantore-Class. That deal was agreed to ages ago. Does it particularly change things? Not really; Italy has sold some older ships to both China and the Philippines over the last few years. It would be possible to read far too much into this. Italy doesn't have an interest in the region - it's on the other side of the world. Similarly, Italy would expect neither China nor the Philippines to have much of an interest in the Med. Sure, Italy could get involved and have a good go at threatening everyone like some other European nations but what's the point? It's a small war with little likelihood to grow unless another party does something stupid. Likely endgames are either the same situation as before, or China gets a few new small islands. Italy can easily live with those outcomes.

Monday, July 4th 2011, 7:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

I had to have a good think about that one but I did eventually remember that Italy agreed to sell the Cantore-Class. That deal was agreed to ages ago. Does it particularly change things? Not really; Italy has sold some older ships to both China and the Philippines over the last few years. It would be possible to read far too much into this. Italy doesn't have an interest in the region - it's on the other side of the world. Similarly, Italy would expect neither China nor the Philippines to have much of an interest in the Med. Sure, Italy could get involved and have a good go at threatening everyone like some other European nations but what's the point? It's a small war with little likelihood to grow unless another party does something stupid. Likely endgames are either the same situation as before, or China gets a few new small islands. Italy can easily live with those outcomes.

All good and valid points seen in hindsight, but delivery in time of war could be seen as a hostile act; but that is more between China and Italy rather than Germany and Italy. And of course Italy is free to define its interests abroad as it chooses. Suffice it to say that Germany sees its interests more broadly.

As I am not privy to player discussions, I'll refrain from discussion of likely endgame scenarios at this point.

Monday, July 4th 2011, 9:49pm

Quoted

As I am not privy to player discussions, I'll refrain from discussion of likely endgame scenarios at this point.

That was more Italy's viewpoint. It doesn't seem likely that China is going to invade Luzon and make this into a protracted war. At most, maybe wresting control of Palawan but much more likely to be on a far smaller scale.

Has China interpreted Italy selling a couple of old destroyers as a hostile act? Definitely doesn't seem that way. Now, rocking up with a fleet of your newest and bestest ships to the region and making a big fuss...

Monday, July 4th 2011, 9:58pm

Quoted

Has China interpreted Italy selling a couple of old destroyers as a hostile act?

I don't know; they have yet to indicate so publically, so perhaps they don't. :rolleyes:

Monday, July 4th 2011, 10:23pm

Quoted

That was more Italy's viewpoint. It doesn't seem likely that China is going to invade Luzon and make this into a protracted war.

That's why China attempted to bribe the French to lead the invasion.

Quoted

Has China interpreted Italy selling a couple of old destroyers as a hostile act? Definitely doesn't seem that way. Now, rocking up with a fleet of your newest and bestest ships to the region and making a big fuss...

Wasn't me that made a big fuss. In any case, the deployment was successful, since "suddenly" the Chinese found themselves "quite willing" to talk to me, whereas previous efforts to communicate had met with stony silence. Fancy that! Roosevelt Diplomacy works!

In any case, what's the point of playing an empire if you're not badass enough to wear the pants? Or maybe it's a retro toga for Italy's case. :)

Monday, July 11th 2011, 3:05pm

German News - January 1941 - Second Tranche

Deutsche Allgemeine Zeitung, Thursday, 9 January 1941

It was announced today that the Government has purchased property on the island of Usedom for use by the National Institute for Space Research. The purchased property, near the village of Peenemünde in the northwest portion of the island, was acquired for the sum of 750,000 Reichsmarks. It is believed that the site will be developed as a research station for atmospheric sounding rockets and other projects under the aegis of the Institute.

Militär-Wochenblatt, Monday, 13 January 1941 – Promotions List

Kapitän zur See Hans Langsdorff, late commander of the battlecruiser Derfflinger has been promoted to the rank of Konteradmiral and will take up command of the First Cruiser Squadron.

Kapitän zur See Ernst Lindemann, late commander of the battlecruiser Seydlitz, has been promoted to the rank of Konteradmiral and will take up command of the Third Cruiser Squadron

Kieler Nachrichten, Tuesday, 14 January 1941

The cruisers Frankfurt and Wien completed their trials today and were formally commissioned in a special ceremony today at the Baltic Naval Station. Both vessels are to be assigned to the Third Cruiser Squadron of the Battle Force.

Eisenbahn Kurier, Wednesday, 15 January 1941

Wirtschaftswoche, Friday, 17 January 1941

A spokesman for Continental Gummi-Werke AG confirmed that the concern was in negotiation with officials of the Irish Government regarding the establishment of a manufacturing and distribution subsidiary in that nation.

Friday, July 15th 2011, 3:25pm

German News - January 1941 - Third Tranche

Transradio Press Service, Saturday, 18 January 1941

In a strongly worded statement the German Government deplored the attempted assassination of the President of Bolivia. Speaking to the press Minister of Justice Gustav Heinemann said,

“The use of violence against elected officials at any level is contrary to the rule of law; to seek the murder of a head of state is to transgress one of humanity’s fundamental laws. Germany offers to Bolivia whatever assistance it can in bringing the authors of this infamous attempt to justice, and will join with Bolivia and every other civilised nation in the world to root out the traffickers in narcotics at the source.”

Militär-Wochenblatt, Monday, 20 January 1941

The Defence Ministry has announced the short list of contenders for its multi-purpose universal cross-country vehicle with all wheel drive (Mehrzweck Universal Geländewagen mit Allradantrieb) requirement. Of the prototypes submitted for consideration the designs proposed by Adler and by Auto-Union will proceed to the next phase of testing with a final decision on selection expected in mid-spring.

The Adler V40T

The Auto Union Type 82

Friday, July 15th 2011, 3:30pm

*Votes for the Auto Union type*

One of the previous places I lived, a guy in town had a VW Thing that he was restoring. I always thought it looked pretty nifty.

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 12:31pm

*Votes for Auto Union type too*

Looks more like a kit-car job but its easy to build, cheap to build, built like a Jerry-built outhouse and generally has good export prospects. (Bruce knows Argentina wants something like the Kubelwagen!)

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 6:26pm

*Votes Auto Union as well*

It just looks much sturdier and somehow 'right'.

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 8:05pm

Just one question guys.....

Why vote for the 2 wheel drive vehicle in a competition for all wheel drive vehicles???

I can't find specs on the Alder, but I know the Kubelwagen was 2 wheel drive......

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 2:43am

RE: Just one question guys.....

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
Why vote for the 2 wheel drive vehicle in a competition for all wheel drive vehicles???

I can't find specs on the Alder, but I know the Kubelwagen was 2 wheel drive......

But have you seen what's under the bonnet of the Type 82? 8)

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 6:10am

Quoted

Originally posted by Sachmle
It just looks much sturdier and somehow 'right'.

Exactly. It's got some sort of odd character - like the designer put it together when he only had a straight-edge handy, and just drew the thing with that. I love the look of it.

Monday, July 18th 2011, 9:42am

I like the look of the adler personally. I like the Kubel but the Adler is not the usual thing.

Monday, July 18th 2011, 5:04pm

Quoted

Quoted

No....what have you seen??

Monday, July 18th 2011, 5:07pm

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted

No....what have you seen??

I'm afraid you'll have to wait on the spec sheet. Keep your eyes on the Land Equipment folder. :D

Thursday, July 21st 2011, 11:00pm

German News - January 1941 - Fourth Tranche

Frankfurter Zeitung, Tuesday, 21 January 1941

The Disconto-Gesellschaft of Berlin has confirmed that it and its Hungarian affiliate, the Hungarian Discount and Currency Exchange Bank Ltd, have extended credits to the Manfred Weiss Aircraft and Motor Factory Ltd amounting to five million Reichsmarks, which will be used to purchase industrial machinery and tooling to refit the Manfred Weiss works, enabling it to fulfill larger orders from the Hungarian Government.

Sächsische Zeitung, Wednesday, 22 January 1941

The Kammgarnspinnerei Wernshausen AG of Niederschmalkalden announced that it has taken a twenty percent interest in the Cerveney Kostelec Spinning and Weaving Company.

Deutsche Presse-Agentur, Thursday, 23 January 1941

The German Government has extended the ban imposed on German-flag shipping in Far Eastern waters. German-flag merchant vessels are now prohibited from entering the recognised territorial waters of the Chinese Empire south of the Shantung Peninsula. The extension is occasioned by the threat of expanding submarine warfare between the two belligerents and a desire to avoid incidents of misidentification. Transit into or out of the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong is specifically excluded from the revised shipping ban.

Hamburger Abendblatt, Friday, 24 January 1941

The twenty-seven members of the German Military and Naval Technical Mission departed today for Brazil aboard a Bv222 flying boat chartered from Lufthansa. It is expected that the mission will spend some months in that nation assisting in developing modern defence plans.

Frankfurter Zeitung, Monday, 27 January 1941

The Badische Anilin und Soda-fabrik of Ludwigshafen am Rhein, a subsidiary of the Interessen Gemeinschaft Farbenindustrie announced that it had received permission from the Ministry for Health to commence clinical trials of dolophine in an effort to combat borandis addiction.

Transradio Press Service, Wednesday, 29 January 1941

Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Prime Minister of Baluchistan, arrived at Flughafen Templehof this afternoon for talks with Chancellor Adenauer and other officials of the German Government. The Chancellor himself was on hand to welcome Mister Jinnah and the other members of the Baluchi delegation. In brief remarks Mister Jinnah shared his thoughts with the press:

“I am very happy to have accepted the invitation of the German Government to open talks regarding the expansion of relations between our two countries. I have no doubt that our discussions will be both frank and fruitful.”

When asked how long his visit might last Mister Jinnah was non-committal, saying only that he hoped to see something of Germany beyond the environs of Berlin.

Deutsche Allgemeine Zeitung, Friday, 31 January 1941

The destroyers Koblenz and Wetzlar were launched today in the naval yards of Cuxhaven. It is expected that they will complete in summer of this year and join the fleet shortly thereafter.