You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, March 5th 2007, 5:45pm

Lost Subs

Being ill has its merrits as I had time to blow through another new book I just got for birthday a few days ago: Spencer Dunmore - Lost Submarines

Summary:
The book contains a short summary of the submarine as a tool of war. From the very beginning to modern nuclear subs tragic events have hit the silent service times and again and Dunmore presents the stories of some of the boats lost including photos of their twisted and wrecked hulls.

Opinion:
The book is a nice read on a rainy day. Not being too big and featuring many pictures one can read through it in some hours. There is no technical data and no linedrawings. It´s all about the history of submarines in general and particular designers and the results and fates of their work. From the CSS HUNLEY, the HMS HOLLAND I to the subs of both world wars, the USS THRESHER, DAKAR and finally the Russian behemoth KURSK Dunmore provides insight into what happened and what expeditions have found on the sea bed. Without going into detail these stories are written quite interesting and add a new piece to my library.

Recommendation:
I´d recommend this book to everybody who has interest in submarines and likes to know what happened to some, probably the most famous ones. However, you should not expect technical details but instead some nice underwater shots.

HoOmAn

Monday, March 5th 2007, 7:49pm

Sounds like a keeper.