You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 5:20pm

Encyclopedia

Gentlemen,

lately I was searching several design and line drawings posted some time ago. To be honest it took me quite some time and some I didn´t even find.

Threads like the one RA started for the italian fleet that lists all ships are much welcome. However, I don´t think such lists belong to the infrastructure board.

What do you think about a new board called "Encyclopedia"? Every player would be able to install a thread where he lists all his countries designs similar to what RA put on the infrastructure board. No comments are to be posted on that board, it only exists to act as a pool for all WesWorld designs that actually came into existence. So no design proposals, no discussions.

It is my opinion that such a board would make it easier to preserve and find designs introduced to WesWorld and its audience.

What do you think?

HoOmAn

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 5:34pm

X-cellent idea, Hooman-san. I have my ships in the Infrastrucure thread, just to keep it reasonably to the top.
BTW, are we supposed to put the data in that Encyclopedia what our nations release to the world (partial datal like you and a few others did with your ships) or are we to put the full SS data in there?

HoOmAn

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 5:37pm

Data

I think we should use full SS files for the encyclopedia. We probably could mark information either not revealed or modified - make it italic or something.

However, yours is a good point and I´d like to get more input on it before starting that new board.

Regards,

HoOmAn

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 5:47pm

Well, I guess it would also be best to use Red Admiral's layout as a base, splitting up the various categories of warships in various posts in one's ship thread. This is something I used as well.
I also think this will be a good location to put one's gun data, torpedo data, mine data, and DC data as well.

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 5:49pm

Make it so.

It would be a vast improvement over the current situation, and may motivate me to completely update my own listings.

J

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 6:02pm

Fine

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 7:35pm

Sounds like a great idea!!

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 7:58pm

Ok with me. I still have to get some of my SS reports redone due to my hard drive implosion, not to mention my drawings as well.

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 8:14pm

It woudn't surprise me if the majority will agree with your proposal, Hooman.
So we'll post our ship data in the Encyclopedia area, using a layout similar to what Red Admiral has done for Italy. As Hooman mentioned, full SS data and mark information either not revealed or modified. Another idea could be to have an SAE style info bit first, followed by the full data (which I think I will do). As I mentioned 'good location to put one's gun data, torpedo data, mine data, and DC data as well'. I am fairly sure that the torpedo, mine and DC data can be put in one post.
Does anyone have other suggestions of things we can put in there?

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 9:20pm

Excellent idea!

As for 'secret' data - I'd say that the Encyclopedia board would be 'everything shows'; posts following a quarter's reports would have the 'Official data'.

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 1:21am

I like the idea - in order to make it manageable, please let's have one board per nation ...

cheers

Bernhard

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 1:45am

You all know where to find mine...

;-)

Complete Springstyles and all.

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 1:57am

Quoted

I like the idea - in order to make it manageable, please let's have one board per nation ...

Well, if that is done perhaps the next threads can be used on each of the nation's boards:
1) Ships limited by the Cleito Treaty, using Red Admiral's style of posts in the thread for various categories of ships.
2) Ships not limited by the Cleito Treaty (non limited warships and auxiliaries).
3) Order of Battle, updated every year, either at the end of the year in Q4 (=31/12/19xx) or at the beginning of the year in Q1 (1/1/19xx).
4) Gun data.
5) Miscellaneous data (mines, DCs, Torpedoes, boilers, turbines, radar, sonar, etc.).
Anything else to add?

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 2:54am

I assume by 'one board for each nation', there'd be an 'Encyclopedia' board on the main page, and on that page there'd be subboards for each country? Otherwise it would be a little awkwards...

I was thinking that there'd be one board with a thread for each subject ('Filipino Ships', 'Iberian Guns', 'Manzo's Crashes'...er, scratch that last one.)

Quoted

1) Ships limited by the Cleito Treaty, using Red Admiral's style of posts in the thread for various categories of ships.
2) Ships not limited by the Cleito Treaty (non limited warships and auxiliaries).

I'd just have one board for the ships (after all, we'll still be simming after 1937 - I hope ;) ). And what's wrong with my style? :-P

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 3:09am

Quoted

I assume by 'one board for each nation', there'd be an 'Encyclopedia' board on the main page, and on that page there'd be subboards for each country? Otherwise it would be a little awkwards...

Yes, that, I believe, is what LordArpad is suggesting.

Quoted

'Manzo's Crashes'

Sure why not? :-)

Quoted

I'd just have one board for the ships (after all, we'll still be simming after 1937 - I hope ;) ). And what's wrong with my style? :-P

Well, the way I look at it, it is similar to that of RA. Only difference would be that you use Iberian names for the categories. So a post for the BBs, a post (=reply) of BCs, a post for CVs, etc. Pretty much what you think it is best.

HoOmAn

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 1:56pm

Boards

Glad you guys like my idea. So I´ll install new boards during the next days (not sure when I´ll find time). There´ll be a category board called "Encyclopedia" and sub-boards for each country controlled by a player plus UK and USA.

I´ll leave it to you how to post your ships. Just note there is a limit to the number of pictures per post. IIRC it is seven or eight or based on kbyte, don´t really know right now. So propably a RA-style thread could cause trouble if you have too many pics per post (PpP *g*). Not sure, though.

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 2:24pm

I'll do one ship per post anyway. makes it easier.

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 4:43pm

Quoted

I'll do one ship per post anyway. makes it easier.

One ship per post?! I guess you will end up with a lot of posts and a lot of posts that double. ;-)
Well, I like that idea so I think I might do the same thing.

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 5:05pm

Wouldn't a post per class rather than per ship be a better idea?

Thursday, September 23rd 2004, 5:09pm

I think that's what he meant...

...and it's what I intend to do: have one thread for each ship type, and in each thread one post for each class. :)