You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, September 25th 2006, 4:43pm

Peruvian news and events - Q2, 1932

April 12, 1932 - Lima

The government has announced the building of another destroyer and another submarine in Germany. "Once these two ships have been completed in Germany, we will begin production of sister ships here in Peru."

Additionally, rumor has it that negotiations have been opened with German officials on a purchase of soon-to-be-surplus Austrian mountain artillery pieces, with the results of the Austrian and German plebiscites having pointed those two European countries in the direction of union and the smaller Austrian army being equipped with arms different from their German counterparts.

May 1, 1932 - Lima

The government has announced the formation of a third anti-aircraft battalion, which will be raised and trained over the course of the next year. "We have watched with interest and some concern the use of aircraft in the conflict between Chile and Bolivia, and it seems prudent to strengthen the defences of our country."

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 6:12pm

May 25, 1932 - Lima

The Naval Minister, Senor Octavo de la Garza, has released the following statement: "After some investigation, we have decided not to attempt to buy the German battleship Helgoland for the Armada."

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 9:31pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
May 25, 1932 - Lima

The Naval Minister, Senor Octavo de la Garza, has released the following statement: "After some investigation, we have decided not to attempt to buy the German battleship Helgoland for the Armada."

I hope she doesn't end up scrapped. :(

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 9:35pm

That's her most likely fate. Unlike some of the other ships that will likely become available soon, she's going to be hard to update, and so far Germany has heard no expressions of interest in her of late.

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 9:42pm

Quoted

That's her most likely fate. Unlike some of the other ships that will likely become available soon, she's going to be hard to update, and so far Germany has heard no expressions of interest in her of late.

Hrm. Well, the Philippines has no need, but perhaps Columbia or another South American nation.

Do you consider Kaiser and Konig worth updating?

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 10:00pm

Columbia's quite interested in Posiedon at the moment!

Bisides Colombia I can't think of any nation that could afford her. Peru's bought quite abit, Equador is an Iberian satilite and the others are landlocked.

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 10:06pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Columbia's quite interested in Posiedon at the moment!

Bisides Colombia I can't think of any nation that could afford her. Peru's bought quite abit, Equador is an Iberian satilite and the others are landlocked.

What about Lithuania?

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 10:06pm

Bulgaria?

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 10:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen
Bulgaria?

That's a thought. Although, admittedly, Helgoland is pretty bargain-bin at this point. I think her only contemporary in the area is Yavuz. :/

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 10:12pm

Quoted

Prinz Regent Luitpold might get converted into a training vessel, while right now Germany is intending to retire Markgraf as a museum ship. But certainly either of them are more viable upgrade candidates, just by their design, than Helgoland is.

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 10:14pm

Quoted

Quoted

Prinz Regent Luitpold might get converted into a training vessel, while right now Germany is intending to retire Markgraf as a museum ship. But certainly either of them are more viable upgrade candidates, just by their design, than Helgoland is.

Interesting... I forget, have you sold off all the Deutschlands?

Thanks on the clarification re: their names.

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 10:19pm

Two of the old pre-dreads were sold to Poland, the third has been converted to a radio-controlled target ship.

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 10:29pm

Personally if I was Germany I'd keep Markgraf

Her only downfall is her speed which I'm sure could be bumped up with the removal of the Q turret. Add another inch of armor to her 4.5" decks and shes a preaty decent little ship.

I'd say shes the prime candidate out of all three surviving great war ships serving.

The Turks were breifly interested in Helgoland due to her similarity to Ulic Ali reis, profile wise, but other projects have taken priority.

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 11:51pm

Bulgaria seems like the perfect candidate. Mexico briefly considered her, but there are other cheaper alternatives.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 12:35am

Of the three old warhorses, the only one that the KM might keep in active service over the long term is Markgraf. P Z L, if converted, has value as a training vessel, and can serve in extremis as a bombardment vessel once her belt armor is re-installed. But all that depends on the status of the Treaty: Germany expects to fill out her allotment of capital ships with new-build units, so there may not be a place in the active roster for Markgraf.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 12:57am

Quoted

What about Lithuania?

Or Latvia. Granted I doubt either could afford them.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 1:01am

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD

Quoted

What about Lithuania?

Or Latvia. Granted I doubt either could afford them.

This IS the Wesworld, though. ;p Still, I don't know if they even have any destroyers at this point. And buying an old German battleship might put the Russkies off a bit.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 1:21am

Quoted

And buying an old German battleship might put the Russkies off a bit.

That would probably be a major reason to buy them for many Latvians and Lithuanians.

Tuesday, October 10th 2006, 1:12pm

April 9, 1932 - Lima

The delegation from Atlantis has been welcomed to the capitol to discuss the recent agreement between Atlantis and Colombia. The government, as is not overly surprising, has expressed some concerns over that agreement, but is more than happy to hear the Atlantean side of the matter. With fighting along the Chilean-Bolivian border, occassional intrusions into Peruvian airspace, and the recent rash of mistakes along the Peruvian-Brazillian border, the government and people are definitely worried about the state of peace that they have enjoyed ending.

Tuesday, October 10th 2006, 2:29pm

June 30, 1932 - Lima

Reports of recent events in Argentina and Paraguay have reached Peru, causing more than a little concern at how the continent is tending. While the "Night of the Long Bayonets" in Argentina does not directly affect Peru, as long as no Peruvian citizens were murdered, the lack of reaction by the Argentine authorities to the murder of surrendered prisoners shows what sort of men run the country. This shines new light on the Esquel Treaty, and just what may be running through the minds of leaders in Argentina.

In unrelated news, the government has announced the purchase of a small number of modified Heinkel He-70s for use as high-speed scouts, and Arado Ar-65 light bombers.