You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 10:52pm

HICMS Jianghu 1938

SIM by Parador

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ALVAMA" (Nov 14th 2009, 1:50pm)

Friday, November 13th 2009, 10:55pm

Awww, cute little micro-Dunkerque!

Have we seen this design before? ?( I don't recall...

Edit: am I the only one who thinks the amidships area and the funnel looks a bit low? It just looks a wee bit... odd?

Friday, November 13th 2009, 11:01pm

I'll enlarge the funnel

Yes It was posted early by Parador into a small drawing, two months ago IIRC

Friday, November 13th 2009, 11:14pm

Hi Vuk,

yes that's my ship ;)

HICMS Jianghu laid down 1938

Thanks to Alex for the new drawing !!

Friday, November 13th 2009, 11:32pm

OK!

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 10:24am

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 11:19am

A great drawing but I don´t buy the concept/design philosophy behind that ship....

Parador, could you elaborate on it?

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 12:52pm

I´ve only make the orgin. drawing in bigger scale and our style, The best way it to ask Parador my friend about the design, I want I cahnge stuff Call me

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 1:04pm

The only thing I think could change would be the rudder.
The pivit point doesn't look strong enough to support such a large rudder.
Perhaps a twin rudder set up could be used?

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 1:49pm

rudders

two smaller ones to eachother, better?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ALVAMA" (Nov 14th 2009, 2:51pm)

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 2:38pm

Hmm maybe not quite as small but I think its a much better layout, either that or the orriginal layout with a rudder 2/3rds the size of the one in the orriginal drawing.

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 4:26pm

She will be part of the chinese Scout Force. Perhaps the flaggship of one of the SCSP (South Chinese Sea Patrol).
Also she could be a raider, hunting for lonesome merchant or oil-tanker will be a good task fer her.

With her speed of ~35kn, she could escape most of the troubles (fighting against heavier armed ships). And with the aviation component the ship could cover a large area.

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 3:33am

I can understand the design and layout concept behind this, it's basically a forward observation platform and command unit - the larger seaplanes being used somewhat limits the ability for any aft armament, and conversely, protected area weight can be conserved by concentrating the armament forward. Being purpose built for the design makes her Somewhat like the Tone class Cruisers, where they had full cruiser armament, focused forward to allow unobstructed seaplane operation aft. It's like some of the seaplane tenders out there, but it can actually defend itself if need be.

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 3:39am

Whiff Sauragnmon?

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 3:53am

I understand the concept, I just think its expensive for the tasks that two smaller vessels could do.

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 7:00am

Vukovlad - Yes, Whiff Sauragnmon. The one and only.

Wes - I contest the point that the ship is more expensive for the purpose than two seperate ships - that's a rather short assumption and one that lacks a lot of depth. Look at the crew requirement for both such ships to operate, you are cutting down in crew requirements in sections such as engineering and command, because you're eliminating the redundancies for crewing those sections. Additionally, you're allowing the ship the capacity to defend itself in some degree, which means the ship is not as much of a floating target. Additionally, you are cutting down on material costs to build the full two hulls. Arguing them on grounds of expense is not correct - the common argument against the hybrid operator was the effectiveness, being that the ship was not as effective in capability as the two seperate ships, but this only works when you have the finances and capacity to Build the two ships - it's expensive to Build and Operate the two seperate ships. Furthermore, this is a Reconnaisance asset, and thus why I compared it to Tone, and vicariously Oyodo, which were built to operate a larger scout plane compliment and thus were not the same as, say, the Mogami or the Ise conversions - which were actually compromises of the capacity. I am personally of the belief that especially Mogami might have been served better with Seirans than Zuinin aircraft, and that the Ise would have similarly been better served with the use of attack capable aircraft - why? because these aircraft could be used to flank the enemy fleet and force them into more advantageous positions. Equally, BBV's like the Grossflugzeugkreuzer series would have been probably better off as fleet defense assets - think the Kuznetsov Carriers by comparison - they aren't Strike carriers, they're a Battleship that carries an additional reach to its air defense assets, and can project further air cover over the fleet, with a few optional strike-capable aircraft to run down escapees from commerce raiding missions.

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 1:50pm

The South China Sea isn't that big though, especially you've likely got air support from the Spratlys and the Philippines. The forward base for seaplanes doesn't make that much sense when the furthest you can get from land is about 400m.

It doesn't give that much extra scouting ability, is large and expensive, and very vulnerable. I'm not sure how well the 150mm quadruple turrets are going to work either, especially with the limited hull support and both forwards

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 1:58pm

higher freeboard

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 8:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
The South China Sea isn't that big though, especially you've likely got air support from the Spratlys and the Philippines. The forward base for seaplanes doesn't make that much sense when the furthest you can get from land is about 400m.

It doesn't give that much extra scouting ability, is large and expensive, and very vulnerable. I'm not sure how well the 150mm quadruple turrets are going to work either, especially with the limited hull support and both forwards

You are surely right, in the South China Sea, you can get air support from the Philippines, but who said, this ship will only be in the South China Sea ?? Perhaps the ship also appears in the Indian ocean or Atlantic ? Or, in the vast of the Pacific. There are many places where the ship can be hidden. ;)

Also i think it isn't more vulnerable than a "normal" cruiser, because after starting the aircrafts there is not more "burning material" than on a CL.