You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, August 22nd 2003, 1:12am

El Pais Spring 1921

11 Abril 1921 German – Iberian joint venture for railways founded.

Siemens Schuckert of Germany and Iberian Indesa have founded a joint venture in order to compete for RENFI's plans to electrify it's main lines beginning with Madrid-Lisboa. The founder of Siemens Schuckert, Wernher von Siemens is the inventor of the electric locomotive.

16. Mayo 1921 Change of Guard in Armada

The new Battleship Cuba was commisioned yesterday in a ceremony in Barreiro. Poignant about the ceremony was that tied up next to her was the Castilia which was paying off on the same day in order to conform to the Treaty of Cleito. The Commander of Castilia, Capitán Balthazár Curruco handed the Iberian Naval ensign over to Capitán Heitor Soares, the commander of the Cuba. The Cuba's first station will be as Flagship of the Carribean Station. The Castilia is entering the dry dock in Barreiro in order to be demilitarized and then to be towed to Cadíz to serve as a museum there.

8. Junio 1921 Colombian Government considers joining the Iberian Realm

The Colombian President General Pablo Neruda yesterday said that his government considered rejoining the Iberian Realm. “We would be keeping most of our Sovereignty and we would benefit from the trade connections and the military strength of Iberia.” The opposition launched violent protests and street demonstrations. The Army seems to be divided on the issue with the lower ranks against it and the higher ranks being in favour.

Friday, August 22nd 2003, 2:52pm

Nicely done. The commissioning ceremony is a unique idea - will it become an Iberian custom?

J

Saturday, August 23rd 2003, 2:31am

well, given the military's like of tacky ideas, probably ;-) Not always will there be a ship to decomission for a new one though ... I do admit that i like it myself.

cheers

Bernhard