You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 9:41am

Canada, eh? 1920-29, major events

If I've gotten anything wrong (OTL or WW), or anyone has any suggestions (changes, additions, etc), feel free to let me know. Also, check the Q1/30 report, I've edited it to include a slightly updated OOB, mostly including officers (Some of you may get a laugh from the sources I used) and such. Best time to catch and change anything is now before moving on;

Ottawa Citizen
December 6, 1920
CLEITO, ATLANTIS - The Cleito Treaty, a worldwide naval arms limitation agreement, has been signed today in Cleito, Atlantis. In an unusual move, fellow commonwealth member Australia was given independant status and seperate limits from the rest of the Commonwealth. Prime Minister Meighen was quoted as being satisfied with the Royal Navy's ability to pretect Canada's interests, and leader of the Liberal Pary, Mackenzie King pointed to the conscription crisis of 1917 as evidence of Canada's inability to support a strong, unifed military at this time. Experts currently show the Meighen government to be shaky, and polls for the upcoming 1921 election are showing a distinct possibility for a new government to take it's place.

Ottawa Citizen
December 7, 1921
OTTAWA, ONTARIO
The results of the 1921 election have seen the downfall of the wartime Unionist fovernment of Arthur Meighen, and the dominance of the Liberal party under Mackenzie King. Key to the issue was the lasting effects of the 1917 conscription issue, which saw a complete shift in party allegiance in the province of Quebec.

Ottawa Citizen
March 26, 1922
HALIFAX, N.S.
The first Royal Navy units to be permanently home-ported in Canada have arrived this week, five destroyers of the S-class, and the Destroyer Leader HMS Stuart. It is expected that a further 10 Destroyers of the S-class, and the cruisers HMS Chester and HMS Birkenhead will arrive later this year. These ships will remain crewed and under the command of the Royal Navy, but there are rumors that PM King is interested in having these ships transferred to Canadian command, and crewed with members of the Royal Navy Canadian Volunteer Reserve.

Ottawa Citizen
June 04, 1923
HALIFAX, N.S.
The first contingent of RNCVF crew have transferred to the recently arrived cruiser HMS Birkenhead. It is expected that as more recruits are ready for sea duty, they will further replace crew complements of other ships currently based at Halifax.

Ottawa Citizen
October 15, 1922
OTTAWA, ONTARIO
Comments made by UK Colonial Minister Winston Churchill over the crisis at Zakho on the Turkish-Iraq border have fueled spirited debate in the halls of parliment. Churchill's comments that Dominion forces may be called upon to help the British forces in the region were met with opposition by PM Mackenzie King, who has insisted that the matter be decided by the Canadian Parliment before any consideration of assistance be given. Former PM and current leader of the Conservative Party, Arthur Meighen was quoted as saying, "When Britain's messgage came, then Canada should have said, 'Ready, aye ready,: we stand by you."
(Chanak crisis, as historical, just somewhere else; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanak_crisis)

Ottawa Citizen
Janurary 16, 1923
HALIFAX, N.S.
It has been announced that the Royal Navy Canadian Volunteer Reserve will be reorganized into the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve as of the 1st of Feburary, under Rear-Admiral Walter Hose. Commanders and crew of the Royal Navy ships currently stationed in Canada will gradually be transferred to Canadian control as manpower permits. To encourage voluntary enlistment in all branches of the Canadian military, incentives and benefits are being announced, such as pay comparable to industry salaries, and a retirement pension for those that serve a minimum of 20 years, and meet other requirements.

Ottawa Citizen
October 20, 1925
OTTAWA, ONTARIO
PM Mackenzie King's Liberal party was unable to obtain a clear majority in the House of Commons in yesterday's elections, and has established a coalition government with the new Progressive party. Also of note, is PM King has lost his seat in the House of Commons, but has asked fellow a Liberal Party member from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan to resign, and thus run and win that seat. Both Conservative Party leader Arthur Meighen and PM King's opponent, John Diefenbaker, strongly crticized this tactic, and have called for PM King's resignation.

{okay, I could write up a series of news stories elaborating on the King-Byng affair, and Arthur Meighen's second term as PM, but I'm just going to give a wikipedia link;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King-Byng_Affair
Sufficed to say, it demonstrated the low-level resentment Canadians felt towards English interferance in their politics, and the conscription crisis of '17 again became an issue, if only a minor one}

Ottawa Citizen
November 20, 1926
LONDON, GREAT BRITAN
As a result of the latest Imperial Conference in London, a report has been issued stating that the United Kingdom and the Dominions "are autonomous Communities within the British Empire, equal in status, in no way subordinate one to another in any aspect of their domestic or external affairs, though united by a common allegiance to the Crown, and freely associated as members of the British Commonwealth". This report was introduced by PM Mackenzie King. According to a Senior Administration Official, This, along with the Chanak Crisis, and the recent increases in expenditures and recruitment incentives for the Canadian Military further demonstrates PM King's desire to see Canada take more responsability for her own destiny.

Ottawa Citizen
Janurary 26, 1928
HALIFAX, N.S.
The light carrier HMS Hermes arrived in Halifax today, the first capital warship to be based in Canada since the Great War. Arriving with her were the three light cruisers of the Apollo class, which are being transferred to RCN control to supplement the aging Chester class cruisers currently in service. It has been speculated that these ships will be renamed upon comissioning into the RCN, but there is no official word from the Government at this time.

Ottawa Citizen
April 30, 1928
HALIFAX, N.S.
A suprise awaited coastal residents at Halifax at dawn this morning, with the unannounced arrival of battlecruisers Renown and Repulse. An official statement was released by the Admiralty later this morning, stating an agreement had been made with the Royal Navy for the transfer of all ships currently based in Canada, addition to two Battlecruisers, to full Canadian control by this time next year.

Ottawa Citizen
April 15, 1929
HALIFAX, N.S.
The last ship still under RN control was transferred to RCN command today during an elaborate ceremony at Halifax, presided over by PM Mackenzie King and RCN Fleet Commander Admiral Walter Hose. HMS Renown was recomissioned into the Royal Canadian Navy under the command of Captain Charles Renoylds.

Ottawa Citizen
June 16, 1929
COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
Negotiations have concluded on the revisions to the Cleito Treaty today. [DETAILS PENDING]

Ottawa Citizen
November 31, 1929
VERACRUZ, MEXICO
The RCN contingent sent to participate in the USN/Atlantean wargames has arrived at Veracruz. The 1st Battle squadron under command of Rear-Admiral J.P. Hanson and the 2nd Carrier squadron under Rear-Admiral William Ross are expected to perform supporting roles to the larger USN and Atleanean forces, however details have not been released.

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 9:54am

Well done!

Nice to get a refresher on some past Canadian politics, in particular the jousting between Mackenzie King and Arthur Meighen.

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 3:19pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Ottawa Citizen
June 16, 1929
COPENHAGEN, NORDMARK
Negotiations have concluded on the revisions to the Cleito Treaty today. [DETAILS PENDING]

[SIZE=4]NORDMARK!!!!![/SIZE]

Alright you colonial upstart.......
you and me, Iceland, handbags at 10 paces...NOW!!!!

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 3:56pm

A neutral party is necessary to ensure that neither side makes use of dirty tactics by utilizing the "Handbag With Brick Inside"(tm).
:-)

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 3:59pm

We Danes have no need of such low tactics as a "Handbag With Brick Inside"(tm), we have our close combat, axe wielding [SIZE=4]"Micro-Vikings"(tm)[/SIZE]

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 4:09pm

Anti "Micro-Vikings"(tm) device...

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 4:52pm

You never know when a flyswatter will come in handy ...

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 6:24pm

Are you implying that my [SIZE=4]"Micro-Vikings"(tm)[/SIZE] are fairies????

If so...........

Doug Wise

Unregistered

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 6:27pm

He's probably implying that they are "micro", therefore they're combat skills, although indeed quite great for their size, are no mach for a regular-sized flyswatter accelerated at just the right amount.

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 6:33pm

Well being "Micro" I can see why it could be missed on the map with all that Nordmark around it. Denmark however is still indepenant of the Sweds, Nords, and Fins.

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 6:36pm

You are not permitted to settle international disagreements on Nordmarkian territory!!!

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 6:38pm

I was unaware of a disagreement as to the status of Denmark.

Coldmar on the other hand is a big question mark.

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 6:54pm

Quoted

itat:Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Ottawa Citizen
June 16, 1929
COPENHAGEN, NORDMARK

NORDMARK!!!!!

Alright you colonial upstart.......
you and me, Iceland, handbags at 10 paces...NOW!!!!

This is what I mean

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 7:05pm

For varying definitions of....

Perhaps in the older sense of the term (i.e. magical beings). ;-)

A flyswatter should have much the same result regardless. ^_^

Coldmere, I thought Manzo wiped it off the map? XD

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 7:41pm

Coldmere; Monaco of the North.

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 8:09pm

fixed. :x

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 11:25pm

[SIZE=4]"Micro-Vikings"(tm)[/SIZE] are being stood down!