You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, February 12th 2004, 11:18am

I'm no artist...

as the picture below will demonstrate, but here's my first warship drawing, of the new Imperator Petr Veliki class battleships:

But I think I've included most of the major components....

Okay, so I don't know how to draw propellers!!!

Thursday, February 12th 2004, 11:25am

"image hosted by tripod"

beautiful wallpaper ;). But I see no battleship, hehehee

try at www.uploadit.org. Very useful. Tripod won't allow remote access.

Thursday, February 12th 2004, 11:28am

Interesting.

Because I see it when I review my post!

I'll try the other site.

Thursday, February 12th 2004, 11:36am

Okay, how's this:

The scale is in meters, by the way...

Thursday, February 12th 2004, 11:52am

Quoted

Originally posted by AdmKuznetsov
Because I see it when I review my post!

because you have the photo in your HD and when the page loads ,it doesn't try to load the pic from the website, but from your HD. Happens ;).

now I can see it. Interesting. I don't like designs with more turrets aft than forward too much, but it seems quite good. Very good try for a first drawing (gotta learn to do that now that I'm in the SIM...I'll have to draw some of my own ships :))

Thursday, February 12th 2004, 5:23pm

She doesn't look that bad. However, doesn't Petr Veliky have her turbines mounted between x and y turrets?

I'm not quite sure about the placement of your 130mm guns. The fields of fire as is aren't very good. how about some twin 6" turrets as well? Like with the 1917 Black sea BB.

The hull seems rather fat for a BC of 0.6

There is a lot of superstructure for 1921.

Sorry for the constructive criticism. As well as uploadit.com there is www.photobucket.com.

This would be my 'take' using Bernhard's 47cm scale. It is much more cluttered. 12 of the 130mm guns are in turrets instead of casemates due to lack of freeboard aft. Thanks to Wes for most of the bits.

Thursday, February 12th 2004, 11:46pm

Heh heh I knew I recognized most of those parts! Perhaps I should make a russian warship weapons template as well. I'd say the bridge isn't too bulky when you look at the gangut class BB's late in the war.
Their bridges were starting to look a bit blocky so its not entirely impossible. I'll take a look at various preposed Russian BB's and see what I can come up with!

Friday, February 13th 2004, 3:22am

Nice drawing

Quoted

She doesn't look that bad. However, doesn't Petr Veliky have her turbines mounted between x and y turrets?

Nope. The aft turrets are not separated by the engine room.

Quoted

The hull seems rather fat for a BC of 0.6

Like I said, I'm no artist..

And the constructive criticism is nothing that you need to apologize for.

Your drawing makes her look like a real bruiser. Thanks!

Maybe the aft secondaries could go into casemates in the superstructure that rests on the deck. And no, the aft-most turret does not have an AA gun on it. That's 4 381mm/52 going off just behind them, after all!

As to the AA and the light batteries, I thought of the 100mm as dealing with bombers. Dive bombing wasn't the threat in 1918, as I understand it, but level bombers dropping stuff from fairly high up. The 37mm is intended to shoot up MTBs, and so have limited elevation. Although they might be able to deal with torpedo bombers too. I placed them somewhat forward, since that's where the real menacing torpedo threats would come from.

Friday, February 13th 2004, 6:04pm

I've added a plan view and replaced the 130mm turrets with casemates. Also added 37mm guns and cut down the aft superstructure.

Friday, February 13th 2004, 8:41pm

Quoted

Okay, so I don't know how to draw propellers!!!

Neither do I. :-)
I'm truly horrible when it comes to propellors. So with a large picture (1 foot = 8 pixels) I drew of a future BC, I thought: 'screw it!!', grabbed Anatomy of the Ship: Yamato, scanned the propellors + shafts in there, slightly altered the size, completely redrew them and put them on the ship. End result is pretty good.

Walter

Friday, February 13th 2004, 10:12pm

Hell half my ships fittings are used from Hoomans pics....they have been slightly altered a few times as time has gone by...and as for my turrets I find myself wanting to redesign my future BB turrets as the turrets for my older ships are later drawings and look much better than the earlier ones!

Friday, February 13th 2004, 10:55pm

Scary...

And I like that in a battleship.

Quoted

I've added a plan view and replaced the 130mm turrets with casemates. Also added 37mm guns and cut down the aft superstructure.

And plenty of deck space for her recce aircraft.

Excellent work.

The Sviatoslav class heavy cruisers will share the same general layout. The major difference is 10.6m less beam, but from the side, it'll be confusing ;-)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, February 14th 2004, 12:47am

Similar look

Looks like you got your inspiration from the Battle at Denmark Strait were the Germans (BISMARCK/PRINZ EUGEN) confused the Brits....

Saturday, February 14th 2004, 1:11am

Actually, I didn't know that.

But don't get me started on land deception operations in in the East in WWII. You'll never hear the end if it.

Saturday, February 14th 2004, 2:45am

Well aside from the funnels my Melampus class BB's and my Vengeance class BC's are very similar in apearance and I've acctually given thought to increaseing the amount of similarity's between them.
Emagine what would happen if an enemy BC mistook Melampus for Vengeance and decided to engage? Even beter would be perhaps the Vengeance could ward off other BC's with the impression that they it is the Melampus.
By the way Stuart I've been having a bit of fun trying to draw your BC, I'll e-mail it to you and see what you think!