You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 7th 2010, 12:12pm

Allow Me

To be the first to rewelcome our friends from the UK to the wonders of minority government which we Canadians have had to endure for the past 6 or so years. Full of compromise, and excitement, it its quite fun to watch if you like politics. The upside is of course elections every second year when the opposition parties decide to outvote the government and force an election :D. I hope you enjoyed your 40 years of majority goverments, because unless your system changes it will likely be continual elections and continued minorites for you folks as well. :) Have Fun!

Signed,

TheCanadian, stuck in perputal minority governments.

Friday, May 7th 2010, 1:27pm

Lol! The problem is there are no more politicians that stand out and seem trust worthy. Our own Steven Harper isn't exactly the best guy for the job, just the best outta the bad lot we have currently, though personally I don't mind him that much.

....and don't get me started on Provincial governments, our own here in BC has gone from Hero to zero in exactly 5 days after the last election.

"How nice you brought us the Olympics....hey wait, you didn't say anything about this HST in your election stumping....."

Friday, May 7th 2010, 3:39pm

No RL political debates. We've done well by a no-IRL-politics rule, and I for one think that's for the best.

Friday, May 7th 2010, 3:58pm

Agreed, let's keep the real-world politics off the board.

Friday, May 7th 2010, 6:02pm

RE: Allow Me

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
I hope you enjoyed your 40 years of majority goverments, because unless your system changes it will likely be continual elections and continued minorites for you folks as well.

Change in the voting system towards proportional representation would make minority and coalition governments much more likely. The issue here was that the incumbent party had such a massive lead to overturn, it was always going to be extremely hard. We'll have to see what happens at the next election...

Friday, May 7th 2010, 9:53pm

Bloody Canadians :D

6 years, is that all you're complaining about? :rolleyes:

Try 30+ years of coalition governments.
Ireland has not had a single party government in all the time i've been able to vote.

Friday, May 7th 2010, 11:12pm

...has it worked well?

Friday, May 7th 2010, 11:16pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
No RL political debates. We've done well by a no-IRL-politics rule, and I for one think that's for the best.

Must have missed that rule, although I can see the reason behind it, people can get quite upset when they are talking politics. A pity though, its so fun to talk about but I digress.

Saturday, May 8th 2010, 12:16am

It was a recent decision the mods made, as a result of a discussion that spun into a rather polarized gun control debate.

But since that's how we're rolling for now, I'm going to close this one as well.

Saturday, May 8th 2010, 12:25am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
It was a recent decision the mods made, as a result of a discussion that spun into a rather polarized gun control debate.

But since that's how we're rolling for now, I'm going to close this one as well.

The gun control debate was recent. The No-Politics rule's been more a gentleman's agreement for, well, as long as I've been around, at least.