You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 5:12pm

Argentine Requirement

The Instituto Aerotechico in concert with the Commando de las Fuerzas Aereas Argentinas has issued a requirement for a single-seat ground attack fighter.

The Mexican TNCA A-1 Mapache saw heavy use in the recent was as a ground-attack fighter able to perform a range of strafing and dive-bombing missions while also being able to operate as a fighter. All of these have now been retired but the FAA now wants to buy a replacement to equip its ground attack units alongside the armoured Tucan T-17.

The main characteristics required are;
Single seat fighter
Ventral armour for pilot and engine
Two-four 13mm forward-firing guns or 2x 13mm and 2x20mm
A bombload of 1x500kg and 2x50kg or 1x250kg and 4x50kg with an alternative 10x15kg load
Stressed for dive bombing
Agile as a fighter, excellent rate of climb
Can be either a new-design or a modification of an exsiting type
Maximum speed 320-380mph
Numbers required would be 144 aircraft

FMA is looking into refurbished I-100 fighters, the new I-100D photo-recon variant is an example of the FMA policy to extend the life of the I-100.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 5:43pm

Almost looks like the spec was written for the old GW-105 (still produced in Asia and Mexico)

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 6:07pm

When does Argentina need the planes delivered?

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 6:11pm

During 1938 will be fine.

Here are the Argentine entries;

FMA I-100E
An improved I-100A developed for the single-seat dive-bomber/fighter requirement. Changes include a new reflector gunsight with aiming features, new lighter radio transmitter/receiver, an up-rated engine, hydraulic dive-brakes and ventral armour. As conversions each fighter requires addition of armoured plates and dive-brakes, new ailerons and elevators and rudder, new radio equipment, removal of cowling HMGs, addition of bomb racks and a new engine.
Dimensions: span 9.97m; length 7.38m; height 3.27m; wing area 13.58 sq m; wing loading 38.8 lb per sq foot; power loading 0.12 hp per lb
Structure: Metal monocoque fuselage with flush countersunk rivets. The lower engine cowling and cockpit floor features 6mm thick armoured plates. Metal wing with steel spars, all-metal split flaps and aluminium ailerons with light alloy covering. Rudder and elevators of light alloy construction with light alloy covering. Hydraulic-powered dive-brakes fitted under each wing. Retractable main undercarriage fitted with a non-retractable castoring tail wheel.
Weights: loaded 5,667lb
Powerplant: one 715hp FMA RR-14-2-B twin-row radial with constant-speed propeller
Performance: Maximum speed 320mph; range 250miles, initial climb 2750 feet/min; service ceiling 32,500ft
Armament: four Browning 13mm machine guns in the wings, one ventral rack for one 250kg or 500kg bomb and four underwing racks for 50kg bombs or two underwing racks for ten 15kg bombs
Equipment: full controls and navigation equipment including radio transmitter/receiver and Sperry autopilot

FMA I-01-IIB Buchon
Developed from the standard I-01-II this improved variant is for the dive-bomber/ fighter requirement with bomb-racks, dive-brakes and ventral armour.
Dimensions: span 10.05m; length 9.14; height 3.22m; wing area 176sq ft; wing loading 41 lb/sq ft; power loading 0.17 lb/hp
Structure: all-metal monocoque fuselage with I section fames and L section stringers with stressed light alloy covering, light alloy used for cantilever tail construction and tailplane covering. Ventral 7mm thick armour plating beneath the engine and cockpit. Cantilever metal wing with two steel spars, all-metal split flaps and aluminium framed ailerons with aluminium covering with two hydraulic dive-brakes. Rudder and elevators aluminium framed with aluminium covering. Retractable hydraulically raised main undercarriage with single oleo-pneumatic legs with twin pneumatic brakes and a retractable castoring tail wheel
Weights: empty 5,802lbs, maximum take-off 7,250lbs
Powerplant: one 1300hp Spartan 1300S V-12 inline engine with supercharger, maximum sea level output to 12,000ft
Performance: max speed 369mph at 15,000ft; service ceiling 21,500ft; rate of climb 2,325ft per minute at 1,500ft; range 311 miles full fuel load
Capacity: pilot in enclosed cockpit
Armament: four 13mm Browning HMG in wings and ventral bomb rack for one 250kg bomb and wing racks for either four 50kg or ten 15kg bombs
Equipment: full controls and navigation equipment including receiver/transmitter, reflector sight, Sperry autopilot and one flare chute

One has the advantage of being a rebuild job and the other new-build but FMA lacks the factory space since its tooling up for I-02s and winding down the I-01 line. Tucan can handle the I-100E rebuild job easily or even IMPA.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 6:50pm

A modified Skimmer might fit requirements, but would probably be too expensive to be competative with other entries.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 6:56pm

Germany really doesn't have anything like this that's dive-brake equipped and agile. The Fw-190F fits most of the requirements, but is not a dive bomber.

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 8:23pm

I'd suggest the Reggiane 2001 from Italy. It's fairly robust and has lots of hardpoints. 630kg underfuselage and 160kg wing hardpoints. Shouldn't be too hard to mount 20mm cannons in the wing roots instead of the 13.2mm guns. Might be a bit underpowered with the extra weight. Or wait a little while for the Reggiane 2005 (ish).

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 8:32pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
FMA I-01-IIB Buchon
Developed from the standard I-01-II this improved variant is for the dive-bomber/ fighter requirement with bomb-racks, dive-brakes and ventral armour.
Dimensions: span 10.05m; length 9.14; height 3.22m; wing area 176sq ft; wing loading 41 lb/sq ft; power loading 0.17 lb/hp
Structure: all-metal monocoque fuselage with I section fames and L section stringers with stressed light alloy covering, light alloy used for cantilever tail construction and tailplane covering. Ventral 7mm thick armour plating beneath the engine and cockpit. Cantilever metal wing with two steel spars, all-metal split flaps and aluminium framed ailerons with aluminium covering with two hydraulic dive-brakes. Rudder and elevators aluminium framed with aluminium covering. Retractable hydraulically raised main undercarriage with single oleo-pneumatic legs with twin pneumatic brakes and a retractable castoring tail wheel
Weights: empty 5,802lbs, maximum take-off 7,250lbs
Powerplant: one 1300hp Spartan 1300S V-12 inline engine with supercharger, maximum sea level output to 12,000ft
Performance: max speed 369mph at 15,000ft; service ceiling 21,500ft; rate of climb 2,325ft per minute at 1,500ft; range 311 miles full fuel load
Capacity: pilot in enclosed cockpit
Armament: four 13mm Browning HMG in wings and ventral bomb rack for one 250kg bomb and wing racks for either four 50kg or ten 15kg bombs
Equipment: full controls and navigation equipment including receiver/transmitter, reflector sight, Sperry autopilot and one flare chute

One has the advantage of being a rebuild job and the other new-build but FMA lacks the factory space since its tooling up for I-02s and winding down the I-01 line. Tucan can handle the I-100E rebuild job easily or even IMPA.

If Argentina is looking to acquire the I-01-IIB but FMA can't fill the order, remember that ENAER's new factory is tooled up for a run of regular I-01-IIs and can build to Argentine order.

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 1:59am

Atlantis has the Accrisius DB-2 "wraith" under developement (Su-6 clone).

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 2:38am

From the company that brought you the A-1 Mapache...

Doesn't meet the specs fully, but was designed precisely for that sort of mission. Add a new engine and it can probably meet the specs.

TNCA/PZL C-9/50 Tornado/Jastrzab

Power: Pratt & Witney 1000hp Twin Wasp

Length: 7.7 m (25 ft 3 in)
Wingspan: 9.7 m (31 ft 10 in)
Height: 2.7 m (8 ft 10 in)
Wing area: 19.4 m² (209 ft²)

Empty, 4200 lb
Max Take Off, 5300 lb

Max Speed, 300mph
Range, 500miles

Armament: Four 7.62/0.3in machine guns, 500lbs of bombs & rockets.

http://www.awiacja.republika.pl/pzl2.htm

A joint Polish/Mexican project. Based on the C-3 Quetzalcoat and A-1 Mapache. It is a multi-purpose fighter bomber.

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 6:09pm

It's a tough requirement I know and its somewhat odd for a fighter to have dive-brakes but the Instituto Aerotechico really feels they are needed for safety. It would like to see an auto pull-out system like the Ju-87 but that's going a bit advanced.

ShinRa, I don't think the Skimmer has the required diving speed due to the thick wings and its a bit big for what I'm after.

The Fw-190F is noted as is the 2001 with 20mm cannon. On paper it seems to fit what I want but without the armour (which I'm prepared to sacrifice if neccessary) or dive-brakes. If the latter can be also fitted then I'd be even more interested.

Wes, got any specs for the Accrisius DB-2 "Wraith" ? Feel free to PM them.

The TNCA-9 is also interesting being quite small and agile, also the Mapache was very good in service and that would bring brand loyalty. IMPA could add Atlantean Ripon-Roth 1,200hp radials easily enough to boost the performance.

Brock, ENEAR did cross my mind when I thought about the I-01-IIB. It would be virtually identical to the standard 01-11 except for the armour plating, dive-brakes and much stronger undercarriage. I'm more fond of the I-100 conversion myself as its cheaper and its a better dogfighter and has those lower cockpit windows better suited to picking out ground targets although they would be smaller and of bullet-proof glass on the I-100E. Such conversion packs could be exported to all current export users too. Likewise the I-01-IIB could be produced for Chilean use or other foreign export use (Atlantis?) etc.

All this is a stand-in until the Hs-129 appears in 1940/41 as the definitive ground-attack aircraft.

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 6:49pm

I don't think dive brakes are really needed. Lot's of diving attacks from prop planes in WWII and Korea with slippery airframes and few apparent problems. A shallow strafing run and then bomb release is a more probable attack method.

If Argentina is looking for something now, then the result isn't going to be very good. Limited engine power giving limited load carrying ability and extra armouring just makes the problem worse. You can probably just add more bomb racks to existing fighters and get a "good enough" solution without spending much money at all. In a few years you've got a choice between a dedicated attack aircraft like the Hs 129 or a much more powerful fighter bomber like the Typhoon. Italy is going down the second route with G.55 becoming an all-purpose fighter with heavy armour but enough power to fight well.

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 10:12pm

The main reason I can see for the dive-brake requirement is for improving accuracy: dive brakes will allow a more vertical dive, which will likely result in improved accuracy. Of course, there were relatively few high-performance dive bombers, the closest thing to the requirement that I can think of historically was the A-36 Apache.

Wednesday, November 4th 2009, 1:54am

If it wasn't for the speed requirements, an improved A-1 Mapache would fit the bill perfectly.

Mexico is working on a dedicated ground-attack plan. No specs yet. I think you've seen it before...

A dedicated ground-attack aircraft based on the Hs-129 and A-10. Designed around the Mexican 47mm AT gun.

Pic by Vukovlad

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Desertfox" (Nov 4th 2009, 7:17am)

Wednesday, November 4th 2009, 2:22am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
ShinRa, I don't think the Skimmer has the required diving speed due to the thick wings and its a bit big for what I'm after.

That's pretty much what I meant by too expensive (bigger is costlier, usually). Didn't really have anything else to offer, tho.

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 3:22pm

Hrolf is right, the dive-brakes make a better dive.

I've been re-reading Peter C. Smith's recent book 'Dive Bomber' which is a useful little potted history of the concept.
It's clear the Allied fighters of late WW2 did make dive bomber attacks but only rarely and mostly the angles were shallower than true dive bombing at angles greater than 70 degrees. The RAF was in denial about dive bombing for 20 odd years and the USAAF blew hot and cold on the subject and really only the naval arms of Japan, France, USA and Britain took any real notice. The Luftwaffe was the land-based exception.

I'm after a hybrid really, the T-17 is a strafer but can dive-bomb but this new aircraft must be able to strafe light targets, dive-bomb with accuracy and be able to fight against enemy fighters if bounced and capable of protecting others of its group or T-17s as they attack.

Still undecided yet about which is best among the aircraft here.

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 3:47pm

Divebombing is the most accurate way of attacking targets in this period but it is also the most vulnerable which is why most nations discontinued its use after a short period, once commited to attack its easy for AA to predict where to fire.

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 5:28pm

Refitting the existing I-02s with bomb racks and a bit more armour gives a platform that is survivable enough, effective enough and cheap enough for the time being until something better comes along. I don't see Argentina being able to establish air superiority to make a dedicated attack type a worthwhile investment.

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 6:43pm

The I-01 option would certainly interest Colombia as they purcheased all of the Atlantean I-01's plus spares from Argentina. Atlantis would take some interest in an I-02 variant as Gavin preposed, though Atlantis has other designs in the pipeline with similar capability's already, it wouldn't hurt to have a mixed role fighter/dive bomber.

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 12:33pm

The I-02 already has a ventral bomb rack capable of carrying 250-500lbs (roughly a 500kg bomb).
Since they belong to Fighter Regiments they would probably undertake less ground attack training than Attack Regiments.

The whole point of the fighter dive-bomber is so that it can operate in areas where I don't have air superority.
Modifiying I-01s as they retire from fighter units will probably be the best move for now.
Such kits could be easily sent to Colombia and Chile (for ENEAR) too.

There have been some interesting proposals though and Argentina keeps its eyes and ears to the ground.