You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 23rd 2003, 11:58pm

SpringSharp/-Style and deck armour

Hi Folks

are we all sure that the deck armour weight provided by SS are realistic. Try simming Richelieu with her 270 mm max and see what I mean.

cheers

Bernhard

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 1:09am

Deckarmor

Hi!

Please note that ss is calculating _average_ deck thickness.

So when simming a ship with 200mm average deck armor it can have 250mm over its magazins and machinery while it only has 120mm outside the citadel.

Therefor it is better to go for weight than for total armor thickness, though, if you have a comparable historical design at hand (same size of the hull and armor sheme).

It´s also difficult when using a layered system because ss is based on american AoN principles and layered systems are somewhat more weight consuming. :o(

I know of no rule of thumb how to deal with that problem. For me I handled it as mentioned above. IF I have thickness x I keep in mind that it should be x+40 or 50% over vitals and x-60 to 80% over the rest.

Any other ideas?

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 10:14am

my opinion

well i think that if i enter an average thickness of 6" deck armour then i can have 6" armour covering all of my deck.

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 10:37am

Do you actually need 6 inches covering the whole of the deck ? Personally, I think it is a waste of weight.
I think Hooman's idea is pretty good in determining the armor thickness of the deck.

Walter

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 1:42pm

overkill

yes 6" armour all over is probably overkill but then again you have a very well armoured ship. 6" should stop most rounds under 30,000yds.

Well my point is yes it is overkill but i don't really care. I have Battleships planned with 8"armour decks.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 3:03pm

Eh....

You maybe got that wrong: ss is calculating things using an average value but this, in fact, doesn´t mean it is homogenous all over your ship. I´m pretty sure Rick´s formulae takes care of the fact that a ship doesn´t have the same deck armor everywhere...

This could be interesting to know. Maybe someone stops by the Design Board and asks him?