You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 2:35am

Off-topic randomness

I've been playing with maps in PSP lately, drawing inspiration from some of the alternatehistory.com threads.. in the back of my mind, I think that some of the stuff I've come up with would be good settings for a future WesWorld.

Here's Asia and the Pacific.

Notable changes:

"Sultanate of Malaya" composed of Malaya, Singapore, and parts of northern Sumatra and Borneo.

Thailand extends south into the Malayan peninsula.

Cambodia is independent from French Indochina and has a portion of southern Vietnam.

China is under the Qian Dynasty (see Hendryk's Superpower China timeline).

The Guangxi Clique of warlords and despots maintains a hold on southern China, Formosa, and Hainan-Dao.

Greater Korea, an independent state composed of Manchuria, Korea, and parts of the former Russian Far East coastline. Opposed to Qian China.

Yakutia, also taken from Hendryk's timeline, effectively a Chinese puppet state, although not a particularly powerful one. Established after the Russian Civil War.

Saikaido is composed of Kyushu and parts of southern Honshu - established when Japanese Christians, faced with persecution in the 1600s, called on the Spanish and Portugese for protection.

The Shogunate of Nippon is a militaristic and very Shintoist nation bent on reconquest of the south.

As compensation for the loss of Cambodia, France controls Noumea, Samoa and a few other extra Pacific islands.

India includes Pakistan.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 2:41am

Next Europe. Here's the map.

Notable changes:

Most of Northwest Africa, Corsica, and half of Sicily are controlled by what is being called the Carthaginian Empire, although it bears little resemblance to its ancient namesake.

The Central Powers did slightly better and yet slightly worse in the alt-WWI. Germany suffered as historical.

Austria-Hungary still exists, but has been stripped of Czeckoslovakia and much of its other territory. It still retains a coastline in the Adreatic and a militarized border facing Greater Serbia.

The Italians should not control Albania, that is an error on my part.

The Ottoman Empire is shaky, but reforms instituted are holding it together.

Nordmark doth exist. :)

The Netherlands still includes Belgium.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 2:43am

Finally, North America. Stolen wholesale from Jared's Decades of Darkness timeline (decadesofdarkness.alternatehistory.com), which is excellent and highly reccomended by Yours Truly. Here is the map...

To quote Jared:

Quoted

In the Decades of Darkness, the point of departure is the early death of President Thomas Jefferson while still in office in 1809. At this time in our history, the New England states were seething over the Embargo Act, a restriction on commerce which had been intended to stop American interests from being violated by Britain and France. The Embargo Act, however, mostly had the effect of bankrupting New England merchants. In our history (called our timeline or OTL for short), Jefferson finally conceded the repeal of the Embargo Act, which took the edge off the New England secessionist movement. While it would reappear later during the War of 1812, it never really recovered its momentum.

But in this alternate history, Jefferson dies and his successors keep up the Embargo Act for a while longer. This leads to the secession of New England, supported by the United Kingdom, and to a civil war where New England gains its independence. There is now a rump-United States where the slaveholding states hold the power, and a small but wealthy and heavily industrialised Republic of New England which follows its own path of development. The Decades of Darkness traces the history of these two nations, and the rest of the world, as it takes a very different path to the events of our history.

Essentially a massive, slaveholding USA versus a small, relatively democratic New England.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 2:44am

Anyways, this is just me being random - but I think that this would be an interesting world to play Wesworld in someday.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 3:33am

I don't know how you'd handle the roleplaying, but Navalism is on a tangent type world as well.

The World of Navalism: April 1903

[SIZE=1]Original map by Swamphen. Adjusted over time by Ithekro.[/SIZE]

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 3:44am

Holy crap, mega-france!

Plus Ottomans AND Habsburgs! Gets a thumbs up. :)

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 3:52am

Positions open.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 4:22am

DKB especially could use someone or what remains of New Switzerland. New Switerland in all her glory included not only whats on the map but also Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hainan, Hong Kong, Shangai, Fuzhou, and the Shandong Pennisula, plus the puppet state of Central Australia. Unofrtunately I had to leave because of real life.

I'll play around with the Navalism map see what I can come up for a future Wesworld.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 5:27am

Observations.

Players need to be evenly distributed across the field.

History needs to be cooperatively constructed to ensure that players are balanced and evenly distributed across the field.

Countries evenly matched are more likely to clash and fight. This makes things interesting.

Cheers,

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 5:39am

Balance

And balance is achieved over time in an unbalanced system.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 6:06am

Quoted

And balance is achieved over time in an unbalanced system.

Only if it has the mechanisms to sort itself out.

Cheers,

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 6:09am

Thus the birth of alliances, and the calls off relovution.

In the navalism case, it is both. France is slowly self destructing as other nations form larger groups to counter their military might.

Russia is the only true strange egg. It should be France's rival in power, but really does nothing.

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 11:49pm

How's this for WW2?

The world as of 1906, after the Treaty of Houston ended the Great Colonial Wars. Beginning in the 1820s in South America, then spreading world-wide in the 1860s - except for Europe, where the monarchs came to a Gentlemen's Agreement to fight only in the colonies, can't have any unpleasantness spoiling the hunting, eh what?

Britian, finding itself becoming increasingly irrevelant on the world stage, is not happy, and closes the Houston conference by inviting "all who wish to attend the launching of the Royal Navy's newest vessel, HMS Dreadnought..."

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 11:57pm

Like I mentioned before...

Quoted

*Claims Japan and renames it 'Tenkai'*

Ha! You foolish mortals truly believe you can defeat the God King Taishakuten?!
:-)

Thursday, October 5th 2006, 6:04am

Thinking Big

I still think a greatly enlarged world would be fun. Something "gas giant" sized perhaps. This would force different choices in ship design...especially in the range department if the oceans between some continents is vast.

Could also give rise to the potential for exploration even into the steam age or even the pre-dreadnought and beyond stage. Also could lead to isolation for some continents that don't know about each other, or cannot actively interact due to the vastness between the lands. Also could seriously hamper early aviation if there are no places to stop for fuel (though could give rise to commercial aircraft carriers).

Also could setup for adding new players from distant lands in future parts of a started sim.

Thursday, October 5th 2006, 6:07am

I note a Tarrantry but no Atlantis on the modified Navalism map.

And umm..What happened in North and Central America?

Thursday, October 5th 2006, 6:34am

Final Version

I have tried to balance the world a bit to make things more interesting. For example North America instead of having one superpower and two monor powers now has two powers which are balanced by the Russians, and Tarrantry to the North and Gran Columbia to the South. Also Africa has some native countries and Australia is divided.

A crazy idea I got, why not have everyone not have a state but a planet! Course SS2 wouldnt work!

Thursday, October 5th 2006, 6:50am

Well interplanetary sims might be fun, they aren't generally classified as "naval" sims. Star Blazers aside most space navies won't work using SS at all.

Lets just stick with water, and at least Earth standard physics (or at least fantasy balanced to Earth Standard physics in the case of a Giant planet sim). Because who doesn't want to travel 20,000 miles without running into land.......

...Well we'd need either speed or just long ranged ships for such a place which would reflect on out design process for sure. That is if your nation feels it needs to transfere that area of the planet for some reason. Otherwise you might have a more reasonably ranged vessel for "local" work.

Friday, October 6th 2006, 3:13am

Unless we consider space one giant sea and convert lightyears into nautical miles!

But a larger fictional Earth would be fun. And it doesnt have to be a Gas Giant. Simply making Earth twice as big would have the same effect without making things to difficult for the map maker.

Friday, October 6th 2006, 4:19am

Shameless Plug :B

If you want to go really off the deep end of ahistoricalness....