You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 1:34am

The Iceman Cometh

After a number of frosts, and a wee bit o' ice in the saucers on the front porch, we get our first freeze of the season tonight - and it's a doozy.

The temperature will get down to around 20°F, and the wind chill tomorrow morning is forecast to be ~11°F.

(Rocky, quit yawning!)

If it's 'a gonna get this cold, the least it could do is snow! :(

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 3:17am

At least it isn't snowing! We go into panic mode here in the south when it snows. Was quite a shock moving from Canada to South Carolina when we had our first snow here and everything just shut down after a half an inch!

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 4:06am

I think it has snowed three times in my lifetime in my area....once every eleven years. And only once did it stick to the ground at all.

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 6:16am

Growing up in northern Ontario, I get a kick out of watching drivers in vancouver simply freak when we get the one snowfall of the year we typically get.

I'm sure Edmontonians do the same with us easterners who move to Alberta!

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 2:53pm

Only seen snow once in my (nearly) 24 years...back in 1988. NEVER seen accumulating snow.

I have to content myself with the heavy coats of frost, like that this morning, that look like a snowpack. :-/

They blew the forecast again...low here was only 25, and there's virtually no wind. So it's an absolutely beautiful morning!

And the goldfinches agree... ;)

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 3:37pm

I'd rag on you more, Swampy, but you do have to tolerate hurricanes.

I'm now living in Ottawa, which, after seven years in the Canadian Arctic, is a refreshingly mild place to be. The freezing rain's a bit annoying, mind you.

However...this week I'm back in my old stomping grounds of Iqaluit, Nunavut, where the sun rose at 9:17 and will set a half hour after lunch ends. It's -26 C, with a wind chill of -42 C. All things considered, that's not bad. In another month or so, the wind chill here will be in the sixties, and the weather forecast will conclude with, "Exposed flesh will freeze within seconds."

You guys don't know what you're missing. Maybe we should have a Wesworld convention up here...

Wes: where in northern Ontario?

CanisD: where in Canada?

Ithekro: I'd tease you, but if I showed up in your neighbourhood in July, I'd probably spontaneously combust.

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 4:43pm

I'm originally from Brampton, Ontario, just NW of Toronto. We moved to the US in 1979, eventually ending up here in South Carolina.

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 6:04pm

We had a day of snow and sleet months ago, but its relatively mild at around 10C.

Wednesday, December 15th 2004, 7:51pm

I was born in Toronto and lived there till I was 6 then moved up north to a small town called Victoria Harbour, which is about a 30 minute drive from Barrie. I moved out to vancouver after I finnished high school and I don't think I'd move again.

Canis, my grandfather lived in Brampton.

We had our first snow last week but it didn't stick....better luck next time!

Thursday, December 16th 2004, 1:01am

Why do you think California has the highest population for a state in the United States? It isn't our government. Though we likely have one of the most famous governors in the world now.
I've not seen recent figures but someone said California, if split off from the United States, would be the sixth largest economy in the world by itself.

Actually we do get snow within visual range, and even have had snow in all the surrounding towns....but not here except every decade or so. Of course the elevation is only about 27 feet above sea level in a valley.

Thursday, December 16th 2004, 1:28am

Quoted

would be the sixth largest economy in the world by itself

I'd heard 5th a few years ago... must have slipped.

Quoted

but not here except every decade or so

So you get earthquakes more often than snowfalls?

Cheers,

Thursday, December 16th 2004, 1:53am

Quoted

I'd heard 5th a few years ago... must have slipped.

Well my data was old...I guess it went up.

And yes we have little earthquakes more often then snow in this part of California....but I can live with earthquakes. Late less than a minute, and usually get cleaned up in only a few minutes, unless its a big one...then clean up takes longer. But we manage. I'd rather have earthquakes once in a while verses hurricanes, floods, or tornadoes which come almost every year.

Thursday, December 16th 2004, 2:07am

Quoted

I'd rather have earthquakes once in a while verses hurricanes, floods, or tornadoes which come almost every year.

I'd actually take a volcano before an earthquake, and you can chase tornadoes. ^_^

However I'll take snow before any of the above. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be ready to head on out from the ol' home state, for colder, less hurricane-prone climes...

Thursday, December 16th 2004, 3:29am

Quoted

I'd rather have earthquakes once in a while verses hurricanes, floods, or tornadoes which come almost every year.

You forgot fires ; )

Thursday, December 16th 2004, 3:31am

Quoted

You forgot fires ; )

No, I didn't. We got those...just not right here, right now.

Thursday, December 16th 2004, 3:41am

Quoted

and you can chase tornadoes. ^_^

...and what do you do if you catch one? ; )

Cheers,