You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:03pm

Nordmark Army

When to the Nordmark's Army thread and very interesting units.

A lot of artillery, mortars and AT weapons made the Infantry Divisions very dangerous to face. I still have my doubts of having FA batteries directly attached to the Infantry Regiments (regular FA guns a little too heavy to be manhandled by grunts IMHO) But the small size of the Army should allow for a certain degree of motorization in the artillery branches.

The Armored Divisions also are very powerful. IIRC the German original Panzer divisions have a similar quantity of tanks but less infantry. IMO they should do OK.

Small Army but it seems a tough nut to crack. Hope their Reserve units are up to the task also.

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:11pm

The FA battery attached to the Infantry regiments IS a bit of a question mark, but whether it's a problem for the infantry will depend a lot on the size of the guns: if they're around 75mm, it probably won't be too bad; if they're 105mm or larger, it's not going to be real good unless they're quite short barreled and ranged.

The armored division looks a lot like the original (2 armored regiment) German panzer divisions, though as you say, that formation had a slightly different infantry organization.

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:13pm

Yup, the army is actually starting to take shape, and the Coastal Rangers still have to be posted (they number in the region of 34 regiments)

The situation with reserves is more fluid, mainly because I haven't got that far yet.

As to why the layout for the armored divisions looks so similar, is because I used the same basic layout, though Nordmark has slightly different formations to the Germans.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Earl822" (Feb 26th 2009, 7:14pm)

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:15pm

What's the problem with 105mm+ FA in the artillery regiments?

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:17pm

As for those FA Batteries, where'd they come from?!?!?!?!

oh well back to the drawing board

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:20pm

Are you using the 10.5 cm kanon m/34? From what I can see, that's a good gun.

(Bulgaria is using Swiss-made m/34s, too.)

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
What's the problem with 105mm+ FA in the artillery regiments?

Nothing at all, in the artillery regiments. What Perderdor was commenting on, and I was seconding, was FA batteries attached to the infantry regiments.

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:47pm

Oh, okay. I missed that. I was about to comment that Bulgaria attaches FA in the artillery regiments, and I was somewhat alarmed that I might require a change...

Which reminds me that Bulgaria needs to get some new 105mm howitzers to start phasing out the old leFH-16s...

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:53pm

Fixed the FA batteries attached to infantry regiments, they have been replaced by an additional mortar platoon, and another infantry gun platoon.

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 7:58pm

The divisions seem to be lavished with a lot of artillery. Indeed very powerful; Due to the small size of the Army I can see a lot of motorization in the artillery branches plus a well kept road and rail sytem to allow the fast shift of troops from different sections of the Kingdom to try to stem any attacks till the Reserves arrive.

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 8:19pm

You haven't seen anything yet! The coastal Rangers are positively swimming in Artillery

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 8:29pm

Fusilier? Have any Nordic country used that designation? Jägare (Rangers) is probably a better name IMHO for both Fusilier and mountain troops.

Friday, February 27th 2009, 11:23am

On the Coastal Rangers:

First, 2 LMGs per squad is probably excessive for the period.

Second, the weapons mix in the artillery and field batteries is ... odd. Pack howitzers are small, light weapons that often can be broken down into multiple loads so they can be moved more easily by men or animals, the 110mm field howitzers .... not so much, and the field guns not at all. I'm not sure there IS such a thing as a 3" pack gun, the barrel won't break down and it's going to be a good deal heavier than that of a 3" howitzer. What you have is some light, mobile, weapons that are tied to heavier, far less mobile weapons.

Third, the batteries are quite to very large: 10 guns in the artillery battery, 13 in the field battery, and they're of different types and trajectories (which will surely make fire direction and control very difficult).

Friday, February 27th 2009, 11:27am

Most of the weapons for the Coastal Rangers were specified by Peng back during the South Georgia War. I must admit a desire to rearrange things, but it is not likely to happen till they are deployed again, or during the next major exercise (something which I should really have a go at organising)

Friday, February 27th 2009, 2:14pm

I don't have a problem with the weapons, per se (other than the "pack guns"), just the idea of trying to organize a single battery to include both. At least break them into separate batteries so they can deploy seperately.

Friday, February 27th 2009, 3:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
I don't have a problem with the weapons, per se (other than the "pack guns"), just the idea of trying to organize a single battery to include both. At least break them into separate batteries so they can deploy seperately.

Agree with Hrolf. Pack weapons and heavier guns means that in practice they will be two different task forces if in the same battery; it would be impossible for them to operate together except in a prepared position.

Friday, February 27th 2009, 5:21pm

I agree. I've been studying artillery doctrine for writing the Yugoslav War, and mixing artillery types in the batteries will make for odd command and control. You mightn't have enough men in the battery headquarters to run two separate fire-missions at the same time, and the difference in guns is fairly substantial; so only half of the battery will be able to fire at any given time, unless they're laying down preplanned barrages.

Better to devolve the guns into smaller but more similar units, IMHO.

Friday, February 27th 2009, 5:32pm

A reorganisation is going to happen, but i first need to scrip the chaos of a live fire exercise.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, February 27th 2009, 7:20pm

Quoted

I'm not sure there IS such a thing as a 3" pack gun, the barrel won't break down and it's going to be a good deal heavier than that of a 3" howitzer.

Wiki says...Skoda produced 75mm, 90mm, 100mm, 105mm and a prototype 150mm mountain guns between 1915-1939. The last took 6 carts and 3 animals to tow the barrel assembly. Generally the 100-105mm range seems the largest commonly fielded.

The MV was in the 450m/s range for the later ones, not far behind the old British 18pdr "gun", and substantially more than the old British 4.5" "howitzer".

Friday, February 27th 2009, 11:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Quoted

I'm not sure there IS such a thing as a 3" pack gun, the barrel won't break down and it's going to be a good deal heavier than that of a 3" howitzer.

Wiki says...Skoda produced 75mm, 90mm, 100mm, 105mm and a prototype 150mm mountain guns between 1915-1939. The last took 6 carts and 3 animals to tow the barrel assembly. Generally the 100-105mm range seems the largest commonly fielded.

The MV was in the 450m/s range for the later ones, not far behind the old British 18pdr "gun", and substantially more than the old British 4.5" "howitzer".

So sounds like Skoda at least thought here was a market for such a beast. I can't see it, myself, mountains are not good terrain for high-velocity guns, the dead zones behind crest lines are awfully large.