You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 3:21am

Ship age

Didn't we have rules for aging ships loosing effectiveness? I've been looking but can't find them.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 3:27am

RE: Ship age

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD
Didn't we have rules for aging ships loosing effectiveness? I've been looking but can't find them.

Oddly, we were discussing this a few weeks ago on IRC; both Wes and Shin remember it, but I did not. We determined that it was apparently removed when the new refit rules were put in place.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 3:39am

Yes, Wes and I distinctly remember a rule saying ships required 15% refits every 15 years, or they began to lose 2% 'strength' per year (or something close to that), but oddly enough, we can't find it anywhere.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 10:07am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
Yes, Wes and I distinctly remember a rule saying ships required 15% refits every 15 years, or they began to lose 2% 'strength' per year (or something close to that), but oddly enough, we can't find it anywhere.

25% refit every 15 years and a 50% rebuild every 20 years. If the ship gets to be 15 years old without a refit it's at 95% "effectiveness". It then loses 2% a year after that. Might even then need further rebuilds at 10year intervals, not sure if I'm remembering that one right.

The jump from 25% at 15years old to 50% at 20years old didn't make a great deal of sense and lead to a lot of ships being re-engined in the 1920s. Personally I'd think that 25% at 10years old and 50% at 20years old makes more sense. ~20years is a reasonable figure for ship life. Engines would be fairly worn out by this stage and the hull would need some work as well if it was to continue in service.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 4:10pm

The interval was 15 and 30 years

A 25% refit at 15.

A 50% partial reconstruction or a 75% full reconstruction at 30 years.

I'm open to RAs suggested reduction. It would keep mad rebuilders like me from getting too far out of line.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 5:47pm

Quoted

2.2.2 Refits:

Any ship ages. Its combat ability degrades and time and technology advances. For each year over 15 that a ship has not been refitted, it suffers a 5% penalty to its combat performance. Note that a ship may be refitted at any time, subject to any relevant naval treaty restrictions.

A refit involves the replacement of relatively small items such as wireless, secondary guns, radar, and fire control directors. General internal hull fittings such as bulkheads and bunks may also be replaced at this time. It does not affect the ship’s hull or its overall performance to any notable degree.

The cost for refitting a ship is equivalent to 25% of its build cost. The time it takes to refit is equal to that figure as well. If a battleship originally cost 40,000 tons of material to build, its refit cost would be 10,000 tons of material and the time required would be 12,5 months. A refit does not add to the value of the ship, it just refreshes its combat ability.

Once a ship is refitted, it is no longer subject to the combat penalties mentioned above.

2.2.3 Rebuilds
Although a refit does extend the career of a warship, she will need more extensive work after thirty years of service in order to remain effective. For each year over thirty that the ship has been in commission, she will suffer a 5% penalty to all aspects of her operation (combat, speed, damage control, etc) as parts simply wear out. Note that a ship may be rebuilt at any time, subject to the terms of relevant naval treaties. A rebuild will require that the ship be dry-docked.

Found an old copy of the Rules, the degradation is 5% per year rather than 2%.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Sep 4th 2010, 5:47pm)

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 6:10pm

I wonder how that disappeared from the 'official' rules. hm.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 6:11pm

Since there are no combat rules, did the degradation ever have a practical application?

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 6:15pm

An older, worn out ship will not perform as effectively in combat. It's up the folks scripting the combat to take that into effect. I'm not sure there's been any notable combat yet involving elderly (and neglected) combatants vs. modern ones to provide a proper example yet, however.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 6:20pm

Reunion in the ABS war? According to those figures RA just found, Reunion would have been rated at a 70% when the war began.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 7:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

25% refit every 15 years and a 50% rebuild every 20 years. If the ship gets to be 15 years old without a refit it's at 95% "effectiveness". It then loses 2% a year after that. Might even then need further rebuilds at 10year intervals, not sure if I'm remembering that one right.

The jump from 25% at 15years old to 50% at 20years old didn't make a great deal of sense and lead to a lot of ships being re-engined in the 1920s. Personally I'd think that 25% at 10years old and 50% at 20years old makes more sense. ~20years is a reasonable figure for ship life. Engines would be fairly worn out by this stage and the hull would need some work as well if it was to continue in service.

Quoted

Originally posted by AdmKuznetsov
A 25% refit at 15.

A 50% partial reconstruction or a 75% full reconstruction at 30 years.

I'm open to RAs suggested reduction. It would keep mad rebuilders like me from getting too far out of line.

Is this a rule proposition?

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 8:33pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

1: 25% Refit when the ship is 10 years old, or the ship loses 5% "effectiveness" per year

2: 50% Rebuild when the ship is 20 years old, or the ship loses 10% "effectiveness" per year

3. Ships over 20 years old require a 50% rebuild every 10 years

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. Covers obsolescence of combat systems etc.
2. Covers the ship being worn out
3. The ship is being even more worn out, a 20year hull life is a reasonable measure of thumb

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 8:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

1: 25% Refit when the ship is 10 years old, or the ship loses 5% "effectiveness" per year

2: 50% Rebuild when the ship is 20 years old, or the ship loses 10% "effectiveness" per year

3. Ships over 20 years old require a 50% rebuild every 10 years

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. Covers obsolescence of combat systems etc.
2. Covers the ship being worn out
3. The ship is being even more worn out, a 20year hull life is a reasonable measure of thumb

I'd be in favor of re-enforcing the original rule (or something close to it), but this seems rather excessive. Especially when you have the 15% refit in the rules specifically stating "Internal refurbishments for life extention purposes" not the 25%.

Furthermore, the requirements don't meet the realism muster. Ships like Latorre, Sao Paulo, and Yavuz did not get major reconstructions every 10 years, and did not degrade quite so rapidly. And more pointedly, several WW2 classes served in the USN until the 80s, and even 90s, without being reengined (if they ever were).

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 9:07pm

It's not been "the rules" for several years and never missed until now. It appears to me that the new refit rules eliminated it

If the loss of this "rule" was an accident, then I won't object per se to reinstating it, but seeing as it's not been the rule for quite some time, I'd like to suggest we provide a five-year grace period.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 9:47pm

Quoted

It's not been "the rules" for several years and never missed until now. It appears to me that the new refit rules eliminated it.

I'd never realised it had gone and had just been proceding as before.

Quoted

I'd be in favor of re-enforcing the original rule (or something close to it), but this seems rather excessive. Especially when you have the 15% refit in the rules specifically stating "Internal refurbishments for life extention purposes" not the 25%.

Actually, the "refurbishment for life extension" is covered in the 25% refit, rather than 15%. The 15% refit is pretty much just for changing around light AAA. I don't think my suggestion is overly harsh, it's still understating the maintenance required on ships by a large margin.

Pugh in "The Cost of Seapower" has lots of nice details on ship costs. A 25% refit as a mid life update is rather lower than the ~50% that seems to be common. And we're not paying for other minor maintenance bits either.

Quoted

Ships like Latorre, Sao Paulo, and Yavuz did not get major reconstructions every 10 years, and did not degrade quite so rapidly.

They weren't used all that much though. The above rules would be for keeping a ship in tip top combat shape. You don't need to swap engines every 10 years, but you'll likely be needing to do quite a lot of work to the hull in order to stop it rusting away. 10 years gaps may be a little harsh, could be longer instead.

I'd go for a grace period before "re-adopting" these sorts of rules.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 11:37pm

I vote against it. There have to be a reason for this to disappear from the original rules. And the reason IMO was that there is no way for the smaller nations to keep up and somebody figure out that was the way to get new players in. To get players for the smaller nations you need to give them a carrot. If you will be forced to upgrade every ten years, what is the fun of it? Realistic? Yes. Atractive to new players? No.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Sep 4th 2010, 11:38pm)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 12:51am

Being an oldtimer here too, I also wonder why or who this disappeared. In my spreadsheet the 15 year milestones are marked for RSAN classes and I pretty carefully watch the age of my ships...

This is really odd but for me those old rules still apply and always have.

Really odd. *confused* I guess it must have happened quite some time ago but for what reason, I really don´t know or remember.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 12:55am

I should probably add that the reason we once introduced this rule was to add at least some kind of cost for keeping a large fleet over some period of time. There is no dealing with maintenance in general but this is at least part of it. And when you have a large fleet like the RSAN it sooner or later eats up a large chunk of your budget....

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 1:02am

I'm perfectly ok with the 15 year refit plan, where a refit would be needed every 15 years....the 10 year and 20 year plan by RA seems too extreme, at least to me.

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 1:36am

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Really odd. *confused* I guess it must have happened quite some time ago but for what reason, I really don´t know or remember.

It's been missing at least as long as I've been here, as I read the rules very carefully when I started, and never knew about it. So - it's been at least since the start of 2008 that it's not been in the rules. I certainly would have done things a bit different - though not much - if I'd have known about this.