You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, July 18th 2003, 5:13pm

Hybrid cruiser

She can carry 48 planes which is enough for using in large strikes, and her 8.25" guns give her hitting power against cruisers. I could fit 12x6" guns instead but have nowhere to put them unless i adopted sextuple turrets.

http://www.geocities.com/red_admiral_italy/hybrid.jpg

MM San Marco, Italian Light Fleet Carrier laid down 1932

Displacement:
14,659 t light; 15,208 t standard; 17,939 t normal; 20,052 t full load
Loading submergence 1,035 tons/feet

Dimensions:
720.00 ft x 78.00 ft x 21.50 ft (normal load)
219.46 m x 23.77 m x 6.55 m

Armament:
6 - 8.25" / 210 mm guns (2 Main turrets x 3 guns, 1 superfiring turret)
Main turrets are grouped together
8 - 5.12" / 130 mm guns
32 - 1.59" / 41 mm AA guns
Weight of broadside 2,286 lbs / 1,037 kg

Armour:
Belt 1.50" / 38 mm, ends unarmoured
Belts cover 85 % of normal area
Main turrets 2.00" / 51 mm
Armour deck 1.00" / 25 mm, Conning tower 3.00" / 76 mm

Machinery:
Oil fired boilers, steam turbines,
Electric cruising motors plus geared drives, 2 shafts, 89,245 shp / 66,577 Kw = 30.00 kts
Range 15,000nm at 15.00 kts

Complement:
775 - 1,007

Cost:
£5.099 million / $20.397 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 286 tons, 1.6 %
Armour: 1,139 tons, 6.4 %
Belts: 261 tons, 1.5 %, Armament: 163 tons, 0.9 %, Armour Deck: 670 tons, 3.7 %
Conning Tower: 44 tons, 0.2 %, Torpedo bulkhead: 0 tons, 0.0 %
Machinery: 2,634 tons, 14.7 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 6,600 tons, 36.8 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 3,280 tons, 18.3 %
Miscellaneous weights: 4,000 tons, 22.3 %

Metacentric height 3.8

Remarks:
Hull space for machinery, storage & compartmentation is adequate
Room for accommodation & workspaces is excellent
Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
Good seaboat, rides out heavy weather easily

Estimated overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Relative margin of stability: 1.05
Shellfire needed to sink: 23,759 lbs / 10,777 Kg = 84.6 x 8.3 " / 210 mm shells
(Approx weight of penetrating shell hits needed to sink ship excluding critical hits)
Torpedoes needed to sink: 2.6
(Approx number of typical torpedo hits needed to sink ship)
Relative steadiness as gun platform: 82 %
(Average = 50 %)
Relative rocking effect from firing to beam: 0.29
Relative quality as seaboat: 1.33

Hull form characteristics:
Block coefficient: 0.520
Sharpness coefficient: 0.35
Hull speed coefficient 'M': 8.41
'Natural speed' for length: 26.83 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 49 %
Trim: 62
(Maximise stabilty/flotation = 0, Maximise steadiness/seakeeping = 100)

Estimated hull characteristics & strength:
Underwater volume absorbed by magazines and engineering spaces: 84.7 %
Relative accommodation and working space: 183.5 %
(Average = 100%)
Displacement factor: 141 %
(Displacement relative to loading factors)
Relative cross-sectional hull strength: 1.02
(Structure weight / hull surface area: 122 lbs / square foot or 594 Kg / square metre)
Relative longitudinal hull strength: 1.03
(for 20.60 ft / 6.28 m average freeboard, freeboard adjustment 3.58 ft)
Relative composite hull strength: 1.02

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, July 18th 2003, 5:41pm

Flight deck

How long will the flight deck be?

Will it be enough to both land and launch planes simultaniously?

Further more, 48 planes sounds way too optimistic given the limited hull space you can use for storing those planes.

The main rangefinder seems to be too large to be able to turn without crushing its optics against the upper bridge.

....but it is an interesting design.

Friday, July 18th 2003, 6:45pm

I'd say the deck would be about 67% of the total length, thus about 482 feet. I'm not sure what kind of planes Red Admiral will use in the 1930's but takeoff distance needs to be less than 450 feet.
One part of the formula to calculate how many planes a carrier can carry ((length x beam)/750) gives us 74. He has enough misc weight for 63 planes. Since it is a hybrid, I would divide the max number of planes it can carry by the 67 percentage of the length which gives us 49. I'm not sure if that would be a solution to deal with hybrids though, but it might be an idea.

Hooman, you say that the main rangefinder seems to be to large to turn without hitting the bride. Looking at the picture in Paint, I say that it is without a doubt too wide to turn without hitting the bridge. :-)

Walter

HoOmAn

Friday, July 18th 2003, 7:38pm

hehe

Glad you agreed, Walter. :o)

As for the planes: I did nearly the same calculations you did. Using this rule that thing could maintain 48 planes but looking at the picture I really can´t see how. There is only enough room for one hangar deck and thus the max. number of planes that can be carried could (should?) be halfed and 24 planes sounds much more realistic than 48 for such a hybrid. Comments?

[Keep in mind the CL and CA convertions the Americans did when they were short of CVs. 48 planes is - more or less - what an INDEPENDANCE-class CVL could carry, IIRC, and those were fully converted or "purpose build" carriers, no hybrids. The USN also use two BALTIMORE-class hulls for carriers (some tons heavier) but those two ended up with similar stats to the INDY-class CVLs so if a BALTIMORE-conversion could carry ~50 planes being fully converted I doubt a hybrid of similar size but half its CA-armament can carry 48....

Friday, July 18th 2003, 10:01pm

There is enough space on such a ship ! That what does not fit inside the hangar deck, can always be placed on the flightdeck.
*Big wave crashes over the hybid carrier dragging all planes parked on the flightdeck along*
See ? And now there is space for even more planes. :-)

But if you want to see if it truly fits, you need to know how big the planes used on the ship are going to be and draw them next to the ship at the same scale. Maybe the 48 planes might fit on the hangar deck, but the crew would be unable to do anything there or move anything there due to lack of space.

Walter

HoOmAn

Saturday, July 19th 2003, 2:35am

hehe

Trying to be smart as always, eh?

How refreshing....

Have fun,

HoOmAn, who´s nose is still bleeding from time to time and who doesn´t like surgeries...

[I really can´t understand those who lay themselves down below the scalpel voluntarily....]

Saturday, July 19th 2003, 6:00am

ouch

No...no surgery is not fun...I had minor orthoscopic surgery to repair a hernia and that wasn't fun....5 weeks off work but spent at least 3 laying around doing little. At least I feel much better than I did before the surgery.

Saturday, July 19th 2003, 11:01pm

Me trying to be smart ?!
:-)

Perhaps one can use davits to hang some planes over the sides of the deck.

Walter