You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, September 13th 2006, 4:39am

Australian News Q2/32

March 24th

In a strage series of events the goverment not only agreed in principle to the increase of tonnage allocated to the Indians, and invited them to hold the conference in Sydney but also dropped hints that it will try to block the sale of battlecruisers to Formosa and Chosen. Why does the goverment support the increase of Indian tonnage but oposes the sale of BCs to the two SATSUMA countries? Is there a reason behind this?

April 1st

Construction continues on the Princess Vespa . She is expected to be launched late 1932, early 1933. Captain Lonestar has been chosen as her captain by the RASSL(Royal Australian Steam Ship Lines). The Sydney Times was fortunate to obtain an interview with the owner of the RASSL, Sir Rupert Murdoch.

ST: What do you say to the charges brought against the ship that she is a "shadow" carrier in disguise and should be counted towards the Australian Cleito Limits?

RM: I don't know nothing about no Cleito treaty. And these ships are no warships. We beat our swords into plowshares and get accused of building WARships? Why is everyone looking at us, when all we are building is a puny 15,000 ton ship using newtechnology to allow it to compete against the giant liners. What should be regulated are the giant oceanliners which displacing 50,000+ tons, with a speed of 35+ knots. I'm pretty sure there are plans to convert those ships into carriers in case of war. I consider these charges nothing more than dirty tactics by our competidors to stop our revolutionary idea from floating.

ST: What would you say to the idea that your ship might be impressed into RAN service? Or alternately having the goverment blocking the construction of your ship due to international preasure?

RM: The RAN better not lay their (censored by the Australian Association of Concerned Mothers) hands on my ship! Any country interfering with free enterprise deserves to have the guns of Tiger shove up (censored by the Australian Association of Concerned Mothers). Our goverment does not have the right to interfere with private matters. If neccesary I'll have this ship registered under another flag. And you can be sure that I will not support the current goverment come election time.

ST: What is so revolutionary about this ship?

RM: Its concept. She is capable of delivering and receiving mail and passengers without having to stop. This eliminatestime wasted stopping in small harbors. She should be capable of beating much faster conventional vessels in normal routes. In ten years you can expect most ships to follow her lead. The "White Elephant Line" ships will soon be obsolete.

April 5th

Today the ships destined to participate in the International Fleet Review and Air Regatta in Spithead, departed from Sydney. Mighty Tiger lead the fleet which included Auckland , Admirality Isl , 4 Aclarity class destroyers, Canberra , 5 "S" class destroyers and Sydney in what is expected to be her last cruise before she is retired. Canberra is trasporting the aerial component, which will include the "Black Swans" flight demonstration team, and the CAC-7 Shrike which is being offered to the Royal Air Force. Also aboard will be the two Gloster VI racers that will be Australia's entry in the Schneider Trophy
race.

Artist conception of the racers:

The racer:

The "Black Swans"

April 15th

The number of diplomatic messages between Australia and several other countries has increased. A number of dimplomats have been dispatched to Siam, Iberia, Denmark and a few other countries. When the Goverment was asked about this increase in diplomatic traffic and the apperant lack of similar communications with the SATSUMA countries, the reply was that similar communications where to be held with SATSUMA but do to "El Derretir" this has been postponed.

Southern Cross arrives!
May 1st

Crowds, rivaling those present at the arrival of the original Southern Cross , where present today to witness the arrival of the zeppelin Southern Cross . ATPA has announce that regular service to the US, Canada, and possibly Great Britan will begin sometime in mid July. Flights for 1932 are already booked solid. The RAN took the time to confirm the fact that construction of the first of two zeppelins for the RAN has begun. The second one will be built in the newly finished RAN facilities in Sydney.

(pics by CanisD)

Wednesday, September 13th 2006, 6:12am

-squints- Your Black Swans appear to be......CANADIAN~!!!

Wednesday, September 13th 2006, 7:22am

I think Canis did a beautifull job on the airship pictures.

...and stop using us good looking Canucks for your propoganda pictures!!!!!

AIGF

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, September 13th 2006, 9:10am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Construction continues on the Princess Vespa . She is expected to be launched late 1932, early 1933. Captain Lonestar has been chosen as her captain by the RASSL(Royal Australian Steam Ship Lines).

*rofl*

Had you problems finding names lately? ;o)

Wednesday, September 13th 2006, 1:38pm

Quoted

Why does the goverment support the increase of Indian tonnage but oposes the sale of BCs to the two SATSUMA countries? Is there a reason behind this?

If there is, surely Dark Helmet is behind it all...

Wednesday, September 13th 2006, 4:20pm

Ah my dear friends that picture was taken during one of their demonstration flights in Canada!

Quoted

Had you problems finding names lately? ;o)
Exacly.

Wednesday, September 13th 2006, 7:32pm

Quoted

Ah my dear friends that picture was taken during one of their demonstration flights in Canada!

Nicely done!

Friday, September 22nd 2006, 4:41am

May 10th

Profesor Challenger of the Royal Australian Geographical Society has declared his intent to purchase a sulprus Airship for a flight of "discovery". What is the good Profesor's destination is anyone's guess. The top choice is the South Pole, but the Congo, Skull Island, and El Dorado are also high in the betting list. A delegation has been dispatched to the US with the intent to purchase either Los Angeles or Shenandoa, but other airships have not been discounted.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 5:02am

Cleito Controversies
May 15th

With voting on the Japanese battlecruiser deal going on in Cleito, the First Lord of the Navy gave a blistering speech today on the Treaty.

In his own words: "This Treaty is a Farce! It is nothing more than a glorified circus. What else can you call
it when representatives act like little kids, trowing tantrums and leaving at the slightest provocations. Japanese representatives left after the Greeks mearly stated that any limits for the Japanese puppet states should be taken from the Japanese limits. It was Greece of all countries. We had to fight for our limits, we where forced into the Treaty and our limits where carved from those of Great Britain. I dont care for political corectness, we dont need that, we need decision. And to those members of the Cleito Treaty, I say the following in the name of the Australian People. We either solve our problems or Australia will have no need for the Treaty. Yes Australia will leave the Treaty as soon as it is diplomaticlly possible if any problems are not resolved."

When asked about what the Navy would do in case of a collapse of the Treaty, the First Lord declined to comment, but our reporters later caught references to Hood...proper battleline...and eighteen inch guns.

May 30th

Professor Challenger of the RAGS has announced that negotiations are underway with the United States Navy and the Goodyear Coorporation for the purchase and upgrading of the Airship Shenandoah. He has placed the flight date of the expedition in late October. No destination has yet been named, but RAGS representatives have been seen in the Atlantean and Dutch Embassies.

Artist conception of Shenandoah in RAGS colors.

Edit: Fixed, I got confused with the Japanese carrier somewhere of Mexico.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 6:49am

Quoted

Cleito Controversies
May 15th

With voting on the Japanese carrier deal going on in Cleito, the First Lord of the Navy gave a blistering speech today on the Treaty.

*coughbattlecruiserscough*

Friday, September 29th 2006, 7:05am

Battle-whats?

G3s with twin 18" guns maybe...or real N3 battleships...or the more fictional Fisher's Superb downgraded to 18" guns?

Certainly not Yamato. Not British enough.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 4:11pm

Diplomatic Note foward to all Cleito Treaty Members.

May 25th

Australia officialy gives notice that it will be withdrawing from the Cleito Treaty in two years. Australia was not an original signatoryand National Security demands it.

OOC The 2 BC will seriously affect the balance of power. And because of the Cleito Treaty I cant do anything about them.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 4:17pm

Unfortunately Australia cannot leave until 1936 at the earliest provided it has given notification of this by 1935.

There are other ways to change the balance of power.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 5:01pm

Well now....

I have wondered about that. My response would be...who's going to stop them? That's been Chile's position since 1925. How are the treaty nations going to keep Australia in the Treaty until January 1, 1937? I also believe altnaval and Walter have mentioned something about the leaving the treaty after 2 years provision verse fist notice possible being December 31, 1934.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 5:34pm

I don't think that leaving the Treaty, at this point, for these reasons, would be to Australia's advantage.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 5:41pm

Quoted

How are the treaty nations going to keep Australia in the Treaty until January 1, 1937?

The same way it happens in the Real World: they won't.

If Australia considers its national security more important than its honor, so be it; the world will react accordingly.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 5:59pm

Didn't I tell you about the new republics off of Australia: Santa Isabel, Malaita, Guadalcanal, San Cristobal, Choiseul and the Santa Cruz Islands.

Each is to recieve two 30,000 ton battlecruisers, a 15,000 ton light aircraft carrier, ten 6,000 ton light cruisers,three flotillas of five 1,600 ton destroyers and twelve submarines.

Then, there's also Kenya, Egypt, Burma, Malaya, Sarawak, Sabah, Nigeria...

The only thing keeping me from doing that is a sense of fair play, and my industrial capacity.

On a more serious note:

May 26th

His Majesty's Government, seeing the Australian dissatisfaction with the Cleito Treaty and its' effect on world affairs, has requested that Australia not be overly hasty in its' intentions to withdraw from the Treaty. They are requested to at least be present at Cowes* to discuss their needs with the other Contracting Powers. If, after this meeting, the Australian Parliament is still determined to take this course of action, then that should remain an option.

However, the effect of an Australian withdrawal from the Cleito Treaty would likely have a catastrophically destablising effect on the political situation in Southeast Asia, perhaps more so than the Australians perceive. We urge the Parliament of the Dominion of Australia to consider the wide repercussions of withdrawal before it commits to such action.

* The Treaty discussions will be held at Cowes Castle, with the delegates being accorded honorary membership of the Royal Yacht Squadron for the duration of the conference.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 6:04pm

Quoted

Didn't I tell you about the new republics off of Australia: Santa Isabel, Malaita, Guadalcanal, San Cristobal, Choiseul and the Santa Cruz Islands.

[chuckle] Germany is looking at the islands off it's coast and pondering something similar.

May 27th - The German goverment applauds Great Britain's stance on the matter, and hopes that all parties see restraint as their best option.

Friday, September 29th 2006, 6:17pm

Chile's 1929 suggestion in part compared with Japan's suggestion was to make and/or subdivide capital ship tonnage up even farther. Part of that was to create a Midrange catagory to cover ships between 13,000 tons and the size of a typical small battleship at 23,000+ tons

Friday, September 29th 2006, 6:37pm

May 27th

Australia will certainly attend Cowes and is willing to negotiate but feels that nothing less than "French" limits would be adequate.