You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, February 17th 2006, 5:36pm

Build vs Buy

Hmmmm. A question: for a non-combat ship like a training carrier, is there any reason to build it (using naval materials) from scratch versus buying a capable hull and converting it? Other than, of course, if you're planning something tricky (installing deck armor, trunks for ammo hoists, putting in bigger than necessary engines, etc) with it, that is. I'd been planning on building a CVT from scratch for Germany, but now that I see what India's up to, maybe I can save some construction budget and put it into something else....

Friday, February 17th 2006, 5:46pm

It gives you experience in actually building an aircraft carrier.

Friday, February 17th 2006, 6:04pm

Either reason for building from scratch is valid. It would seem Italy's built a CVT to be "tricksy", and Germany probably would benefit from a trial run at building a CV.

On the other hand, India's on a tighter budget, and has no need to be looking for tricks in this regard, as we're likely to be in a post-treaty environment by the time I look to add a fourth carrier to my forces. That being the case, spending 2,500 t on a refitted passenger liner makes perfect sense for me.

Friday, February 17th 2006, 7:46pm

I think in Germany's case building is the way to go, as RA said it will give germany the ability to begin a design process for its carriers. Some foriegn assistance may be required (IC).

Friday, February 17th 2006, 7:49pm

For instance german designers may consider visiting Karlskrona where work on Nordmarks first carrier Gas continues apace.

Friday, February 17th 2006, 7:56pm

Karlskrona is certainly a possibility, given the invitation. :)

India is another very likely source for foreign assistance in this matter, and there may be other possibilities as well.

Friday, February 17th 2006, 8:28pm

Quoted

India is another very likely source for foreign assistance in this matter

...which Germany would of course be welcome to.

Friday, February 17th 2006, 8:29pm

A training carrier can be useful in combat if it can be built to carry fuel for large numbers of planes. (and perhaps an overly heavy armored deck to keep the fuel safe from air attack) This can then be used as a range extender for the Fleet and Light Carriers, and thus place your expensive units out of reach of the enemy forces. Or allow you to operate land based planes farther from base. Its not a perfect solution, and very vulnerable, but generally cheaper than a Light Carrier.

I believe this was going to be Shinano's role had she actually gotten into service with the fleet.

Friday, February 17th 2006, 8:34pm

True - but then where are you going to train replacements for the pilots you're losing during the fighting?

Saturday, February 18th 2006, 6:46am

I think he means using it in a support role in an emergency. Unicorn was originaly designed as a maintenance carrier but she was modified durring her construction in order to act in a frontline capacity if needed. She had a few stints as an operational carrier in WW2 and the Korean war.

Saturday, February 18th 2006, 11:53am

Quoted

Originally posted by Earl822
For instance german designers may consider visiting Karlskrona where work on Nordmarks first carrier Gas continues apace.

Gas? You intend you have your carrier dissolve in the wind like other gases, or did you mean Gås (goose)? ;)

The difference between the letters "A" and "Å" is about as large as between "i" and "l", that is, only a dot when you write them, but pronounced very differently. /short lesson in scandinavian languishes over ;)

Saturday, February 18th 2006, 12:10pm

Hello Korpen and welcome to the board!

Saturday, February 18th 2006, 12:32pm

Quoted

Gas? You intend you have your carrier dissolve in the wind like other gases

He is probably expecting that to happen so he put a "a" there rather than the "å".
... and so his carrier would truly be "Gone with the Wind".

Saturday, February 18th 2006, 12:40pm

Yeah sorry it is goose(Gås), I get lazy and must learn not to just write it with plain qwerty letters.

Saturday, February 18th 2006, 1:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Earl822
Yeah sorry it is goose(Gås), I get lazy and must learn not to just write it with plain qwerty letters.

Ok, now i feel patronizing, but i would suggest changing the name to "Gåsen" (The Goose), as that is more in line with how the swedish navy named ships, for example Abborren (the perch) and Spiggen (The stickleback), Swedish uses the suffix "-en" or "-et" (depending on the word) were english would use "the".

I hope you dont mind me commenting a bit on this kind of things, if so, tell me and i will shut up. :)

Saturday, February 18th 2006, 1:40pm

I don't mind comments. I just prefer plain Gås. It might get changed, I'll have to see

Saturday, February 18th 2006, 3:04pm

It mayby a bit late responce but I balive bilding is allways preferd for buying.