You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, November 3rd 2005, 9:40pm

Secondary mountings

All,

OK, here's a question: for armored approximately 6" secondary mountings on a capital ship, should a designer use "mount & hoist" mounts or "turret & barbette" mounts? SS doesn't complain about either one, so I'm curious what the group's opinion is.

Thursday, November 3rd 2005, 11:36pm

I think "Turret and Barbette" for guns above ~130mm. Depends on the individual case though. I've been simming the 135mm/45 triple as "Turret and Barbette"

Friday, November 4th 2005, 7:41am

With me anything above 5.2" go's in turrets with barbettes.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, November 4th 2005, 9:16am

Could also be casemats or deck mountings (the latter like the 14cmers on HOOD)...

Friday, November 4th 2005, 10:24am

The Atlantean 5.5" mountings are deck mounts with hoists.

Friday, November 4th 2005, 10:50am

Quoted

With me anything above 5.2" go's in turrets with sbarbettes.

Quoted

Don't these two conflict?

Quoted

Could also be casemats or deck mountings (the latter like the 14cmers on HOOD)...

Casemates certainly are possible, but clearly fell out of favor during the 1920s and afterwards. Deck mountings, like the 5.5" guns on Hood or the single 5.9" guns on Scharnhorst, are certainly possible, but I don't recall those mounts as armored to the sides and rear, just fitted with gunshields.

Friday, November 4th 2005, 11:08am

The 5" 38 was in shielded pivot mounts like the Hood's 5.5" guns through to mounts with hoists and full turrets. On a capital ship I'd think you would expect something as large as a 6" gun to be in a turret rather than an open backed shield for the 1930's at least.

Cheers,

Friday, November 4th 2005, 11:51am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson

Quoted

With me anything above 5.2" go's in turrets with sbarbettes.

Quoted

Don't these two conflict?

Ok anything above 5.5"! This mount has disappeared from any modern ships so technically both statements are true (and conflicting :-P)