You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Kaiser

Unregistered

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 3:22am

German Infrastructure Revisited

While I hate to keep bringing this up, I have a major problem with German infrastructure. What Rocky has been limping along with is in no way a true reflection on German industry and shipbuilding capacity in the inter-war period.

In the 1911-1921 period 14 Battleships and 8 Battlecruisers were either launched or completed, for an infrastructure point total of 220 points, plus the 30 thirty points standard for a total of 250 points.

Industrial production would work out to 10 "free" factories and the 22 factories that go with the capital ships for a total of 32 factories.

Losing Danzig would reduce Infrastructure to 230 and 30 Factories (assuming Danzig was roughly equivalent of the other "Government" yard at Wilhelmshaven).

I only have accurate information that comes out to 158 points of the potential 230 allocated, which leaves 72 points of Infrastructure, approximately one third of the total, unaccounted for.

There were at least 8 small privately owned yards that I don't have information on, which should account for most of this missing infrastructre.

On top of this , the vast majority of the German shipbuilding capacity is in private hands, and was extremely active building merchant shipping in the inter-war period.

Kiel

Kiel Naval Base*
2 x Type 3 Docks
2 x Type 2 Docks
2 x Type 1 Docks
3 x Type 3 Slips

Private yards
3 x Type 4 Slips
4 x Type 3 Slips
6 x Type 2 Slips

Total Infrastructure : 67
(Incorporates Kiel Naval Base, Krupp Germania, Howaldswerke)
*Government controlled.

Wilhelmshaven*

1 x Type 4 Dock
2 x Type 3 Docks
3 x Type 1 Docks
1 x Type 3 Slip

Total Infrastructure: 22
(Wilhelmshaven Naval Base)
* Government controlled.

Emden

1 x Type 4 Dock
2 x Type 4 Slips
1 x Type 3 Slip
1 x Type 2 Slip

Total Infrastructure: 18
(Nordseewerke)

Bremen

2 x Type 3 Docks
1 x Type 2 Dock
1 x Type 5 Slip
2 x Type 3 Slips
3 x Type 1 Slips

Total Infrastructure: 31
(Incorporates AG Weser, Vulkan Bremer)

Hamburg

1 x Type 5 Dock
1 x Type 5 Slip
1 x Type 4 Slip
1 x Type 3 Slip
2 x Type 1 Slips

Total Infrastructure: 20
(Incrorporates Blohn & Voss, Vulkan Hamberg)

Overall Infrastructure: 158

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 4:46am

Perhaps an amicable solution is to have German industry as per the rules but x% of production is earmarked for 'reparations'. This way you have the choice to lay down a 300ton TB in a type 3 slip (you have lots of slips) if you like but you are restricted by treaty to how many and how big your ships can be and limited to effective 12 000 tons per quarter of production. Obviously Germany will not invest in slips/drydocks and investment in factories wont pay off for 20 years so you'll build towards your treaty limits - just like everyone else.

Sound fair?

Cheers,

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 5:12am

I think the question is, what happened to all the factories? And should their output be avalible once the treaty is reduced or removed? The slips and docks I doubt are the question (I'd have to look at the original Wesworld German Infrastructure again to be sure). Its the ability to produce that has come into question, as oppose to what the limits of the end product are.

Kaiser

Unregistered

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 5:45am

From what I can tell from the infrastructure rules, lost production goes straight into the civilian economy.

Either way, I beleive that in WesWorld, reparations were discontinued in 1923.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 9:13am

There should be some posts somewhere explaining what happened to all th ose factories and yards. Could take some time to find it, though....

IIRC we agreed that Germany would loose those factories and slips due to reparations and lack of maintenance etc.

The Doc should be able to explain that in detail, methinks.

Kaiser

Unregistered

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 10:45am

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
There should be some posts somewhere explaining what happened to all th ose factories and yards. Could take some time to find it, though....

IIRC we agreed that Germany would loose those factories and slips due to reparations and lack of maintenance etc.

The Doc should be able to explain that in detail, methinks.

Would you like me to rename Germany Grand Fenwick as well?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 11:49am

Would I what?! Not sure if I understand.... Grand Fenwick?!?

Please explain... Thanks.

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 12:42pm

Grand Fenwick

A book called "The Mouse that Roared", made into a hilarious Peter Sellars movie.

Again, Germany is an industrial power of the first rank, and something needs to be done about German infrastructure that dosen't reflect that status.

I suggested that Germany's infrastructure costs be halved, or even quartered, to reflect refurbishment of facilities that have gone into disrepair, until the pre-Great War infrastructure level is reached. That gives him a chance to get back into "Great Naval Power" mode in a reasonable time frame.

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 2:12pm

I agree that "1/2 pricing" German factories and infrastructure, until the pre-war level is reached, seems to be a logical solution.

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 7:38pm

I agree on the Factory's part, however I'd say cutting down the slips/drydocks by 1/3 allowing Germany the ability to increase its material production (through foriegn building contract markups). If the slips don't get used they don't get used, its the factory output that is the "meat and potato's" of ones Infrastructure.

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 8:21pm

As Hooman notes, it was assumed that, in part, neglect and lack of military usage caused the government to lose some of the facilities. Similarly, many of the remaining factories and infrastructure re-tooled to do other things in the civilian sector.

That left just enough supply for me (11 factories, 30 pts of infrastructure to start) to limp along with under the original ToV restrictions.

Once those restrictions change, it's reasonable to assume some of that additional infrastructure will become available again, as supply rises to meet the new level of demand. Not all of it, of course - I would suggest that we aim for levels similar to France, less the infrastructure in colonial regions, since France has the same general treaty restrictions Germany is seeking.

So, I'd suggest that starting in 1927, private industry begins re-tooling 10 factories and 100 pts worth of infrastructure, which will become available for naval building over the course of four years. The schedule of availability would be:

Start of 1927: Add 2 factories and 20 pts of infrastructure
Start of 1928: Add 2 factories and 20 pts of infrastructure
Start of 1929: Add 3 factories and 30 pts of infrastructure
Start of 1930: Add 3 factories and 30 pts of infrastructure

Kaiser would subtract the infrastructure that Germany already has, from the infrastructure he has compiled. He would then pick his quota from what's left on the list at the time. He could carry over a point or two if needed to avoid "fractional" infrastructure.

Including what's already in existence, and a drydock I'm constructing, this would leave Germany with 22 factories and 141 pts of infrastructure available at the start of 1930. Most likely this is more slip/drydock capacity than he needs, but Germany would not be alone in this regard.

Oh - and to be clear, I propose that this become available to Germany - not that he pay for it. As pointed out, the capacity does exist, it is simply being used elsewhere.

Thoughts?

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 8:56pm

Acceptable here...

Kaiser

Unregistered

Thursday, February 24th 2005, 1:27am

Infrastructure wise, I would suggest a slow ramp up to 1914 levels of production (minus Danzig), with a new factory coming on-line after retooling every quarter from Q1 1927. This would be a lot smoother ramp up in production with 1000 tons of industrial production added each quarter, so that a years production increase would look like Q1 1000t, Q2 2000t, Q3 3000t and Q4 4000t, for a total increase of 10,000t per year until it reached pre-war levels.

Drydocks and building slips are a different matter. While the factories would have been fully occupied with civilian production, a large percentage of the slips would have been totally idle in the post-war due to lack of work. I think that these slips and drydocks would need work to bring them back to a usable state, though not as much as it would cost to build new ones.

By allowing the Factories to gradually come on line as they are re-tooled, it means that I would have to spend part of this increased production to refurbish the building facilities before they can be used for shipbuilding. What those cost ratios are, I have no idea, but it retains the German "Industrial Powerhouse" feel, but still has ground to recover with the infrastructure...

Thursday, February 24th 2005, 1:46am

A thought (if it is good or not is not known)

Perhaps this could be viewed as a repair of the docks and factories as someone suggested for conquoured nations. A conquoured factory would need to be retooled to handle its new owners devices, and the docks could be damaged...either from the war, or from local efforts to sabotage the new owner.

Germany could be in this sort of situation. (thought not as sever). It "might" cost a little to bring the factories back up to 100% (as soon as they are allowed to be used for military use again), and the slips and docks would need either to be refitted (in maintenance was not done) or simply have the workers retrained and come under government ownership.....depending on the slip or dock. I'd not recommend a high price, but something to limit the process to approximately the levels suggested above. I don't think it should be free, but very reasonable, yet also limited (given the population's interest, the ability of the goverment to move at the idea, the amount a trained people to run the factories and built the ships, as it has been a while since some of these factories and yards were operating efficently, if at all).

Friday, October 21st 2005, 3:32pm

Bumped.

Hrolf and I are discussing Germany, including the matters raised in this thread.

Friday, October 21st 2005, 3:52pm

Since Rock Doctor bumped the thread, I'll put out what I suggested (not having seen this thread before) as a possible solution to the "Germany has no facilities" issue.

My suggestion was to cut German factories from the 28-32 given by the rules to 20-24 (lost to Poland, Alsace, etc), and leave the infrastructure as it's currently being run (ie, 30 points). The factories are busy doing civillian things, only turning out the bare minimum of military hardware (ie, no additional back-dated spending up through 1926), and the large slips and dockyards built for the High Seas Fleet have been neglected for years. If and when Germany gets around to rebuilding her fleet, she'll need to rebuild her dock facilities, paying for the privilege as normal.

This is not to suggest that some of the other suggestions aren't equally workable, it's just that I hadn't seen them when I suggested it to Rocky.

Tuesday, October 25th 2005, 2:41pm

It would be nice if we could get some resolution to this thread soon so Germany could catch up with the rest of the world (right now we're still at the end of 1926). There's a number of proposals on the table, any of them would work as far as I'm concerned.

Tuesday, October 25th 2005, 2:50pm

Quoted

My suggestion was to cut German factories from the 28-32 given by the rules to 20-24 (lost to Poland, Alsace, etc), and leave the infrastructure as it's currently being run (ie, 30 points). The factories are busy doing civillian things, only turning out the bare minimum of military hardware (ie, no additional back-dated spending up through 1926), and the large slips and dockyards built for the High Seas Fleet have been neglected for years. If and when Germany gets around to rebuilding her fleet, she'll need to rebuild her dock facilities, paying for the privilege as normal.

Suits me.

Tuesday, October 25th 2005, 2:56pm

Have to make a quick update, based on what I got from Rocky yesterday: Germany (as of end of 1926) has 37 points of infrastructure, and is 1.7 points from having 40 (1.3 points of a Class 3 drydock is done).

Tuesday, October 25th 2005, 3:54pm

"You have a GO"