You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 7:26pm

Centennial of Naval Aviation color schemes

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/inde…c=211333&st=140

The US Navy is repainting a bunch of aircraft in various historical color schemes from the century of naval aviation. The thread has some great views of a couple of T-45 trainers done up in the old "Golden Wings" color scheme. They also have plans to do some Hornets in South Pacific WW2 schemes, as well as other aircraft and helos. Very cool.

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 8:00pm

Sweet! Now that's the way planes should be painted!

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 8:07pm

I have to agree with Brock. Those paint schemes are far better than the Navy's norm for the T-45. And it doesn't make that much difference that they're 'high visibility'.

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 9:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
And it doesn't make that much difference that they're 'high visibility'.

For the pilots in training it does......
"Da Enemi" will not be flying brightly painted fighters!!
The US Navy learned to their cost the error of not fitting a gun to their fighters, and TopGun is all about "getting up close and personel"

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 9:24pm

The USN's "Aggressor Squadron" F/A-18s and F-5s are painted in a multi-blue scheme reminiscent of Chinese air force fighters.

CGI, but I've seen this scheme on actual aircraft of the Fighting Omars.

...I think it's rather attractive, myself!

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 9:29pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
And it doesn't make that much difference that they're 'high visibility'.

For the pilots in training it does......
"Da Enemi" will not be flying brightly painted fighters!!
The US Navy learned to their cost the error of not fitting a gun to their fighters, and TopGun is all about "getting up close and personel"

True enough, but the T-45 does not fly in that role; ergo, doing the trainers up in the high visibility marks has little impact on their regular role.

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 9:43pm

I'm probably mis-quoting horribly but...

"Train as you mean to fight, fight as you trained"

It does you no good when you have to struggle to find a low-viz target thats shooting at you because all your training was against much more visible targets.

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 9:49pm

The T-45 Goshawk is a pilot-training aircraft; it's not a combat trainer. Basically, used for intermediate to advanced pilot training. Pilots then go on to do air-combat training in more specialized aircraft (such as F/A-18s).

In fact - those planes are usually painted bright colors to warn other pilots that there's a trainee at the stick.

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 9:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
The USN's "Aggressor Squadron" F/A-18s and F-5s are painted in a multi-blue scheme reminiscent of Chinese air force fighters.

CGI, but I've seen this scheme on actual aircraft of the Fighting Omars.

...I think it's rather attractive, myself!

So do I, and I love the Swedish equivelent, and it is effective from a look-down point of view over water (coastal squadron scheme),
for the same reason most low level strike aircraft wear camoflage,
while fighters tend to be wrap-a-round grey because of the violent flying involved in air combat