You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:45pm

Hypothetical engine.

Comments are welcome. Use is not contemplated.

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 22nd 2008, 9:46pm)

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 10:12pm

Is it a Boxer engine?

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 10:29pm

180 vee or boxer, I haven't decided. If it meets muster it would go into the WW technology bank of useful sim items for players to use.

Whatever the outcome, this particular item would have to be simmed into the Czech tech tree. Suggested manufacturer would be Avia, Walter, or Motorlet.

My preference would of course be SKODA Werke. They made everything.

It also is a useful adjunct to those players who need an aero engine but don't have the native tech to build one.

H.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 22nd 2008, 10:36pm)

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 10:50pm

Praga built Boxer aero engines, or perhaps have Manfred Weiss build it to not force an overly great reliance on the Czechs

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 11:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Praga built Boxer aero engines, or perhaps have Manfred Weiss build it to not force an overly great reliance on the Czechs

Better yet PZL. They actually worked on a small version of something like this as an 180 vee.

That would put it in the Polish tech tree.

It might not be as open to everybody in WW that way, but....

shrug

H.

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 11:16pm

Poland is a player nation...

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 11:33pm

Quoted

Poland is a player nation...

Exactly. This is fairly advanced tech. Even in WW I can count the nations that could design/build it as follows;

1. Russia
2. Italy
3. Atlantis
4. Germany
5. Iberia
6. Britain
7. United States
8. Japan
9. Nordmark
10. Bharat [license]
11. China [license]
12. Poland
13. France

The only non-player nation that could design/build this device would be Czechoslovakia.

Not even Irbet could pull something like this off.

For purposes of vibration, oil scavenging, cooling and construction I'm leaning towards the boxer. The opposed vee is just a little too technically advanced for them all in 1928 when engine design for a monster this size would start..

H.

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 11:42pm

I don't really see the possible application for something like this.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 11:50pm

My Opinion:

I don't think building an NPC nation engine tech tree is needed. Simply rebranding OTL engines should work fine.

The question should not be what designers name is on the engine, but what the power to weight and displacements are.

Now, if the country has a storyline engine capability, they should be able to build custom engines so long as they are within the right technical range.

For example, in 1940 or so we had the following in service :
1940: 1,030hp/ 1,320lb Merlin II, 27L, reliable.
1940 : 1,200hp/1,467 P&W R-1830-76 Twin Wasp, 31.63L, 4.2’dia.
1940: 1,500hp/ 1,930lb Bristol Hercules XI, 38.7L, 4’4” dia.

That gives a power/weight of .77-.81 That also gives a power / displacement range of 37.9-38.7.

So a hypothetical engine with 1300 hp could be 1,605lbs and 33.4L

There will always be be some outliers- such as the historic Hispano-Suiza 12Y-51 which was the pinnacle of that design arc, where the historic engine should be used as is.

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 11:59pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I don't really see the possible application for something like this.

1. Zeppelins.
2. Airliners.
3. small submarines.

H.

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:09am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

There will always be be some outliers- such as the historic Hispano-Suiza 12Y-51 which was the pinnacle of that design arc, where the historic engine should be used as is.

Dont really understand what you are trying to say with this?

howard

Unregistered

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:14am

Quoted

Quoted

He's saying that this engine is pushing the limits.

H.

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:16am

Really? Those stupid French phasing it out for the Y89ter and Z...

Kaiser Kirk

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:16am

Quoted

Quoted

The 1940 HS 12Y-51 had a 1.04 power/weight, but was also the end of a long development arc of 12Y engines from the mid-30s, and they apparently could not wring more from the design, making it a bad basis for hypothetical engines as we pretty much know the limits of that design type.

Kaiser Kirk

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:21am

Quoted

Yes, but if you look at the power/weight of the 12Y-51, compared to the 12z-17, it looks like they took a step backwards :) Though the 12z stacks up decently against other engines of the period.

howard

Unregistered

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:27am

Quoted

Quoted

Yes, but if you look at the power/weight of the 12Y-51, compared to the 12z-17, it looks like they took a step backwards :) Though the 12z stacks up decently against other engines of the period.

There was only so much you could do with it. Unless you could increase cylinder head working pressures and handle the torque loads at the crankshaft, where was the engine mechanically supposed to go?

Even with this small bore Mann you only have what, 3%-10% more room for growth before the thermal loading into the jacket kills your engine HP?

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 23rd 2008, 12:28am)

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:36pm

Quoted

1. Zeppelins.
2. Airliners.
3. small submarines.

1. Probably the best choice.
2. Rather too powerful for period airliners
3. Unless they're really really small a medium speed diesel with better reliability would be preferable.

For a purpose-built diesel I think the power/weight ratio is a bit high at 0.81hp/lb. I'd expect it to be around 0.6-0.7 but higher figures were possible I seem to remember from a book on Aircraft Diesel engines.

Italy is looking at an aircraft/marine diesel based off its highly successful Isotta-Fraschini Asso series that'll bee around in a few years to coincide with some airliner developments. I'll point out that this basic engine has been in production since the 1920s and is still a world leader today in it's turbodiesel form.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Aug 23rd 2008, 1:03pm)

howard

Unregistered

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 5:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

1. Zeppelins.
2. Airliners.
3. small submarines.

1. Probably the best choice.
2. Rather too powerful for period airliners
3. Unless they're really really small a medium speed diesel with better reliability would be preferable.

For a purpose-built diesel I think the power/weight ratio is a bit high at 0.81hp/lb. I'd expect it to be around 0.6-0.7 but higher figures were possible I seem to remember from a book on Aircraft Diesel engines.

Italy is looking at an aircraft/marine diesel based off its highly successful Isotta-Fraschini Asso series that'll bee around in a few years to coincide with some airliner developments. I'll point out that this basic engine has been in production since the 1920s and is still a world leader today in it's turbodiesel form.

The theoretical limit for the period is around 0.83, modern models are just now breaking 1.0. Both are only possible, if you build it out of steel. I hate steel's thermal properties [expansion coefficient] for the period steels; but there were some very good engineers in the period trying new things and some of the the steels available were just good enough if you cast and mill machined carefully, you would get .77 to .81. CREF below..

1. Zeppelin was what I was thinking when I ginned this up.
2. Twin engined Atlantic crosser? 3000 horsepower, about an 80-100 foot wingspan, speed about 250 knots, 40-60 passengers [sardines]? I thought a pair of diesels might work. Somehow one needs to save on fuel load to obtain the range.
3. 100 ton coastal sub, twin screw, diesel/electrics. If I runs the numbers, even with switching engine diesels, I need lighter more compact engines. Anything heavier than five tons power-plant total, and I have neither the room nor the buoyancy reserve for a decent-ranged sub 100 ton sub.

That is an Issotto Fraschini 750 Asso W engine in exploded view. It doesn't look anything like a Mann 180 vee or boxer to me. Its not possible to fuel inject or bury in a wing as I see it. My now conjectured airliner is draggy enough as I envision it. I wanted to bury the engines to reduce said drag.

and this:

Is a version of the CRM-18 W which is its modern lineal direct descendant.

Good engines-very good strong engines, but at the time .....carburetor dependent and heavy; around 770 kilograms all up when you added the cooling jackets and the oil circulators, [not shown] not to mention the centrifugal single-stage supercharger and the reducing gearing into the spinner hub.

That puts the engine into the .59 range [horsepower/pounds ]-since it was the Asso 750 that was boosted into the 750 kWatt range to become the Asso 1000, and known originally as the 750-M.

I may just gin up that airliner to show a bit of what I had in mind for comment and review..

H.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 23rd 2008, 6:12pm)

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 6:41pm

Quoted

2. Twin engined Atlantic crosser? 3000 horsepower, about an 80-100 foot wingspan, speed about 250 knots, 40-60 passengers [sardines]? I thought a pair of diesels might work. Somehow one needs to save on fuel load to obtain the range.

Maybe, but I'd want four engines for reliability if crossing the Atlantic. It depends a lot on who would build it as well. For something like that I'd imagine it would be government funded at least partially which would limit the choice of engines to ones produced indigenously. I looked at diesels for such a long-range airliner but went rather bigger for economy. There'll be a scale model flying sometime later in the year when I've drawn it.

For a very coastal sub like you're on about, a lightweight diesel may make more sense. ~1500hp against 350hp but theres a big difference in reliability.

Quoted

It doesn't look anything like a Mann 180 vee or boxer to me. Its not possible to fuel inject or bury in a wing as I see it.

Its not meant to. Its the basis for an Italian aircraft/marine diesel. When you start getting to the large planes needed to carry a reasonable number of passengers across the Atlantic the wing thickness increases a lot and it makes it easier to buring the engines. I'm not sure its the best choice, but it does reduce drag. They have carburettors because they are petrol engines and direct injection was a good decade on from the 1920s. Weight isn't that much, 663kg without fuel or propeller hub. In WW the engine gets a big redesign at the start of the 1930s to incorporate new technologies in the same layout with greater power available mostly from an increase in rpm. The current version is 57L (150x180) with a single speed supercharger giving 1930hp and weighing around 1050kg. A diesel version is currently in development for marine use mainly.

howard

Unregistered

Sunday, August 24th 2008, 3:39am

Just to clarify.

1. I need to find a Mann engine or somebody's engine that is a historic boxer or 180 vee.
2. As long as the kilowatts fall somewhere in the 750 to 1000 range RTL and the real engine forms the .7 to .8 hp/lb basis for my ginned up model above.

Then I run a six year WW story line where this engine is developed.

Then I can use this engine?

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 24th 2008, 3:40am)