You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, September 4th 2006, 10:27pm

General Quarters 3

Just a note for historical World War II naval gamers out there. General Quarters 3 was released on September 2, 2006 and in now available for purchase.

I played in the two first official games at Conquest this weekend. I managed to loose both Koln and Hipper on Saturday and the American destroyer Helm on Sunday.

(Hipper was lost in an ice field engagement between Bismarck with Schornhorst and Sheer against Renown and KGV. Koln was hit by fire from a british heavy cruiser and slowed, Hipper slowed to keep Koln with her and turn to follow Shornhorst (which had lost her two forward turrets by this time). Unfortunately this move and the movement of the icebergs took Bismarck out of the like of fire for KGV, and left Hipper as primary target. Taking 8 x 14" shells Hipper (which translated to 24 hits) would survive for just one other turn before flooding took her under the waves. Koln sunk just before that from heavy fire from the earlier mentioned British Heavy Cruiser. Bismarck and Schornhorst were the only German ships I remember being able to leave the field. Sheer sank early in the action.

Helm was lost do to progessive flooding from a single 8 inch hit from a Japanese cruiser. The crews moral never wavered, though they couldn't fix the bulkhead for some reason. The rest of the American force at Wake Island managed to turn the older Japanese heavy cruisers away, taking out most of their turrets, and sinking one (probably Aoba) along with a destroyer and probably light cruiser Yubari. San Francisco eventually lost all her turrets (at the end) and Minniapolis was a turning wreck, and Astoria was fine.

The system is quite easy to pick up and enjoyable. Is a little more detailed than General Quarters 2, but still fast. Each of the above engagements took about three hours or less.

Tuesday, September 5th 2006, 6:23am

Goodie, I've been looking for another game for the Computer.

Tuesday, September 5th 2006, 6:36am

Is it a computer or board game? Can one enter one's own ships into it somehow?

Tuesday, September 5th 2006, 7:33am

Its a miniatures game, 1/1200, 1/2400, 1/3000, etc...

Tuesday, September 5th 2006, 7:40am

Oh crap....I thought it weas a PC game....

Tuesday, September 5th 2006, 11:13am

Nope, one of those quaint games where you move little model ships around and have to make your own sound effects, which can be fun as long as you aren't playng in a public place. There are a couple miniature games that have computer programs to handle much of the paper work. http://www.navalwarfare.org/ has quite a good selection of wargames, both digital and analog.