You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 6:21am

The Official 2006 Hurricane thread

Just wanted to beat Swampy to it. :P

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

It's official as of 18 minutes ago.

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 8:54am

Place your bets now!!! There already was a little swirl trying to get going off of Houston but it moved inland before it could get its act together.

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 6:20pm

I just hope this years thread is shorter than last year's.

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 8:23pm

Hurricane season isn't meant to be "as bad" as last seasons'.

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 8:26pm

I read somewhere that it was going to be a 'very active season' so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 9:18pm

IIRC the predictions for 2005 were actually lower than the predictions for 2006. I swear to God if we have a year like last year, I'm buying one of those old missile silos that have been converted into houses!

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 9:38pm

I think that's the best investment you can make. :-)

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 10:54pm

I living in a area that is more likly to be toched by flood that a hurican I will rather buy a house on pilars or some other high ground.
In other weather related stuff, in polish moutains there is a avalanche warning. That was on may 30th!!!.
Can You belive it this is starting to be crazy plus 43 degrease in summer minus 27 degrease in the winter.
And in geography class they sead that poland is in the mild. climate zone.
If thing will contiue like this there will be an ice age soon.

I have to have enought money to be able to travel North in summer and south in winter.
Frost bites and sun burns are never fun.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 7:56pm

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 8:03pm

I wonder what reject Hurricanes will turn up off the UK this season

Sunday, June 11th 2006, 9:29pm

So it is now officially Tropical Storm Alberto.

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 11:08pm

A bit late, but Whammo.

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 11:16pm

Looks like it is heading in a less than favorable direction for you, Shinra.

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 1:01am

Looks like it would need to take a 90' turn once it gets in the Gulf to threaten Tampa. Central and Western gulf looks like the greater threat if it doesn't rip itself apart over Hispaniola or Cuba.

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 2:06am

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD
Looks like it would need to take a 90' turn once it gets in the Gulf to threaten Tampa.

Well, that's what Charlie did, and Ivan and a couple others almost did. They were further south and went through Cuba first, tho.

A more likely 'threat' is it doing a Francis/Jeanne, but it's a bit far south for that. Most likely I'll get what I got for Alberto and everything last year; A few windy days and rain.

Which, at this point, would be livesaver on my electric bill.

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 2:18am

I'm ignoring the hurricane season and hoping it goes away; after the last two years my nerves can't take it anymore. :-(

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 5:54pm

You need to move to California or Oregon. At least here, by the time you start worrying about the major disaster, it is usually already over.

Friday, August 25th 2006, 4:39am

A bit late, but here it is. Looks like more of a threat to Europe than Florida for a change. :P

Friday, August 25th 2006, 7:07am

But then there's this...

Friday, August 25th 2006, 12:14pm

Yes I saw the clouds on the sateillte IR image yesterday on the Met Office website.

It's raining enough in the UK, we don't want any more. Yesterday at work my roof started to leak in my little office...