You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

harry the red

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 2:19pm

Replacing a ships power plant.

Is it possible to put two destroyer’s power plants into an old cruiser? I know that during WW2 the Americans used the power plants of destroyer and cruisers to power new build aircraft carriers while the Japanese and Italians did the same thing with their merchant ship carrier conversions.

The reason why I ask this is that I am thinking of replacing the engines of the Pericles class cruisers. These ships maximum speed were ok for 1903. Unfortunately looking at the cruisers you guys are designing their maximum speed has now become woeful.

I know that it would be easer to replace these ships with new builds but I am representing a small nation with limited resources that I would rather concentrate in other areas at this stage of the Sim.

If it is possible how do you sim the building points and time required for replacing the cruisers power plant with an existing plant from the former Australian admiralty class.

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 2:36pm

The infrastructure rules provide for what you seem to want to do here:

=====================================
2.2.3 Rebuilds
Although a refit does extend the career of a warship, she will need more extensive work after thirty years of service in order to remain effective. For each year over thirty that the ship has been in commission, she will suffer a 5% penalty to all aspects of her operation (combat, speed, damage control, etc) as parts simply wear out. Note that a ship may be rebuilt at any time, subject to the terms of relevant naval treaties. A rebuild will require that the ship be dry-docked.
It is easiest to state what may not be conducted during a rebuilding: alteration of the ship’s dimensions; addition/relocation of new barbettes; or changes to belt armor.

What is allowed includes removal of barbettes (for replacement with anti-aircraft guns, etc), replacement of coal-fired boilers with oil-fired boilers, installing new engines, replacing the superstructure, reshaping the bow, adding torpedo defense blisters, removing or adding any secondary guns, or replacing heavy guns in barbettes (such as that done by Japan when she converted Mogami to a heavy cruiser). Regardless of what does take place, the ship’s weight may not be increased by more than 20%.

To determine the time and materials required to rebuild the ship, calculate the ship’s light displacement after the rebuilding is completed. The cost in time and materials will be half of that required to build the ship from scratch. Note that rebuilding a ship will also take care of problems resulting from overdue refits.

Once rebuilt, the ship is essentially new again; she will not require a refit for 15 years, nor rebuilding for another 30.

Example: With the defence budget somewhat tight, India elects to rebuild the battleship Gujurat (ex-RSAN Queen Fallatia) in 1932. Her light displacement is 16,413 tons.

The rebuilding includes: addition of a clipper bow, replacement of sixteen casemated 5.9" guns with four twin 5.9" turrets, replacement of the 3.5" guns with 4.1" and 1.4" guns, and new machinery. The work will leave her with a new light displacement of 17,046 tons.

Material required is 50% of that new light displacement, or 8,523 tons. Time to complete the rebuild is (17+9)/2, or 13 months.
=======================================

So while you're at it, you may want to also consider upgrading the armament.

harry the red

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 3:24pm

More extensive then what I was planning

My intention at the moment is to replace the cruisers old reciprocating engines and coal fired boilers with new steam turbines and oil-fired boilers to increase the ships speed. The only other thing that I am planing to do with these ships is increase the main guns elevation and correspondingly modify the gunnery control; add a catapult with one or two aircraft and a few AA guns. I only want to keep these ships operational for 5 or possibly 7 more years.

To save on construction points I was thinking of using the power plants of existing ships that are surplus to my requirements, the former Australian admiralty class.

See my post Greek governmental Communiqué 17/12/1920
in the news section

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 3:25pm

I agree

I agree with AdmK on this. You have to do a rebuild as per the rebuild rules you´ll find in the infrastructure rules.

harry the red

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 4:07pm

OH dammit

So the rationale for ships like England’s WW2 monitors, the battleship Vanguard, and the Italian aircraft carrier Aquilia don’t exist in this alternate world?

The English to save on time and materials used surplus turrets from old scraped battleships while the Italians used the power plants from one or two cruisers that were originally being built for Thailand for the same reasons

Finally don’t forget that a lot of the WW2 built corvettes and sub chasers were equipped with old 76mm guns that were in storage for over a decade.

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 4:39pm

Those were, with the exception of the never completed Aquila, not rebuilds, but new-builds. And the present rules do not seem to have anything in them regarding reuse of components.

Wednesday, May 28th 2003, 12:10am

well

Unfortunatly that would look like a rebuild, unless you plan on useing them for 10 years i would say scrap em and replace them with new ships or leave em as is. Another alternative would be defering the rebuilds to another nation with a larger building capacity and funding the rebuilds with curency or the eqivilant in merchant ships or smaller warships. Any ideas?

harry the red

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 28th 2003, 2:05pm

Well yes

There is more then one way to skin a cat