You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, April 17th 2008, 12:23am

Quoted

Originally posted by Carthaginian
I knew it was based on the Kongo, but I never actually realized that the Atago was such a different beast than the Kongo. I mean, they are like comparing a Flight I Burke with a Flight II... right?

To dust off my SAT memories...
Kongos : Flight I Burkes.
Atagos : Flight IIA Burkes

Basically, the Atagos are a bit longer with a hangar and other improvements over the Kongos, similar to the differences between early and later Burkes.

The destroyer from Zipang was supposed to be a Japanese Flight IIA AEGIS DDG, and as such, looks similar to the Atagos, but with some differences, as they were drawn before the Atagos were authorized (This is also why they're named differently).

Thursday, April 17th 2008, 10:04am

Quoted

It's pretty good, but the English voice acting is a bit goofy (Gotta love the japanese officers with midwestern american farmer accents...)

I tried the English dialogue, but quickly switched it back to Japanese.

Quoted

It ends somewhat abruptly with no real conclusion, as it follows the first few books of the Manga (which is not availible in English), and as far as I know, there's no plans to continue adapting the remaining volumes.

While I have not seen the last bunch of episodes at the moment, it does sound familiar. There are a few more Animes out there that end in such matter while the Manga continues, including one of my favorites, Berserk.

As for not being available in English, Wiki indicates that: "Four volumes have been translated into English by Ralph McCarthy for the Kodansha Bilingual Comics library." Also I have no doubt that when you do a proper search of the internet, you'll be able to find a scanslation of it somewhere.

Quoted

It's littered with various technical and historical errors, but nothing too obvious to the layman.

Yes, not as obvious as those fairly modern warships at Pearl Harbor in the movie. :)

Quoted

You're a few years early

So sue me. :)

Quoted

I call dibs on Final Countdown*. Nimitz class > Yukinami class

That is unacceptable as the Nimitz = USN so it is exclusively for the USA only and not Canada. :P

Quoted

It's not this Kongo?

That's not the Kongo but the Myoukou. :)
(... which is the only thing I can read of the Japanese text without grabbing a dictinary, but logic suggests that the Kanji would stand for Guided Missile Destroyer... or something like that; also Kongo is 173 and not 175).

Quoted

the 3rd picture showed what seemed to be an AEGIS aerial to the left of the crosshair.

I ran that particular scene quite a few times in order to get something of a size that would show something but not too much. I was slightly worried that it would not be visible. I deliberately took the Mirai from the picture below and pasted it onto the second picture which was the closest look the sub had of the Mirai.

Thursday, April 17th 2008, 7:37pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
As for not being available in English, Wiki indicates that: "Four volumes have been translated into English by Ralph McCarthy for the Kodansha Bilingual Comics library." Also I have no doubt that when you do a proper search of the internet, you'll be able to find a scanslation of it somewhere.

I have looked, haven't found. Even if it was found somewhere, that's 4 volumes out of 32, and it's still ongoing. :\

Monday, April 28th 2008, 11:40pm

October 28, 1935

A deadly accident this morning as the southbound Aomori-Edo Express train collided with a northbound military train. The accident happened in thick fog on a railroad bridge over the Nanakitagawa, near the town of Iwakiri (northeast of Sendai). For some reason, the military train which was bound for Aomori ended up on the southbound track before it began crossing the bridge, moments before the collision.
It is estimated that about 130 people died and 150 people were injured, 30 of them seriously. Among the deaths are a number of promising young army officers as well as the Crown prince and his two brothers. The three were heading for their new station at Aomori Army Base where they would serve in the 5th Army.

Only estimates can be made regarding the force of the impact. The six wagon passenger train, pulled by an Atlantean 4-6-4 Utopian streamlined steam locomotive, usually travels at about 150 kilometers per hour on this stretch of railroad. The 8 wagon military train was pulled by a Canadian Selkirk 2-10-4 steam locomotive which normally is limited to travelling at 100 kilometers per hour. The force of the impact severely damaged the bridge and even destroyed the center section of the southbound line. Both locomotives and a total of eight wagons of both trains ended up in the Nanakitagawa.

An official for the Japanese Railroads explained that the only time the switch system, located about a kilometer south of the bridge, is used is when goods are transported to Iwakiri on the old railroad into town, something that happens only twice a week during the afternoon and is handled by special railroad worker.

Since no train was scheduled to run on the old track to Iwakiri and since the train a half hour earlier passed the area without any problems, it is believed that the military train was deliberately led onto the southbound track. Due to the extremely poor visibility, the machinists didn't see the other's train until it was too late.

Members of the Shinsengumi have been sent to the area to start an investigation. It is expected that it will take weeks to clean up the mess and repair all the damage.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Apr 28th 2008, 11:42pm)

Monday, April 28th 2008, 11:50pm

OOC: The Royals are dropping like flies...

IC:

On behalf of the Shah and the Persian people we wish to express our condolences to the Imperial family and the people of Japan on this day of sorrow

Monday, April 28th 2008, 11:57pm

OOC: Yes. The same thought crossed my mind.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Apr 29th 2008, 12:00am)

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 12:03am

Posted first assuming that Mussolini was still alive, but then began to doubt it so I removed that bit from the previous post. I found that Mussolini was shot, but I could notfind anything that indicates whether the man survived being shot or whether he was shot dead.
If Mussolini is dead, that would mean that all three leaders of the OTL Axis nations are no longer around.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Apr 29th 2008, 12:03am)

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 12:09am

8o Ouch!!! That has got to hurt!

Quoted

If Mussolini is dead, that would mean that all three leaders of the OTL Axis nations are no longer around.
:( How are we going to have WWII now?

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 12:09am

Two major royals dead and one unseated (in Siam) in just a couple of months...
Maybe we should check the water?

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 12:11am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

Quoted

:( How are we going to have WWII now?

Mexico AND Australia strikes agreement to divide Iberia :D

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 12:15am

Mussolini is still around. He got shot, recovered, came to power, got shot at again, then shot at a lot of other people, then got locked up.

Looks like the Canadians have managed another assassination in concert with Atlantis...

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 1:39am

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
October 28, 1935
Among the deaths are a number of promising young army officers as well as the Crown prince and his two brothers.

Queen Wilhelmina will send her condolences to the people of Japan and the royal family for this tragic loss.

OOC: Depending on Japanese funeral arrangements, Prince Hendrik may attend and/or Prince Alexander may request a leave from the South African Naval Academy to attend.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Apr 29th 2008, 2:49am)

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 1:49am

King Carol of Romania, sends his condolences to the people of Japan for their tragic loss.

General Sikorski, sends the condolences of the Polish nation to the people of Japan after their tragic loss.

OOC: Though the Royals are dropping like flies, Poland might get an elected King again.

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 2:08am

OOC:Well I hope that the Sarmatism is still popular

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 2:29am

IC: Atlantis sends its deepest condolences.

OOC: Indeed a terrible year if your a Royal.

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
Looks like the Canadians have managed another assassination in concert with Atlantis...

Hey we just sell em the trains, how they use em is thier business!

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 9:11am

Nordmark sends its deepest condolonces

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 10:38am

This is certainly a serious hit for our Japanese friends. The Chinese government has ordered national mourning and for all public buildings flags on half mast arranged.

In a telegram to the imperial family the chinese Prime Minister expresses heartly condolences.

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 11:27am

RosPoezd offers

technical assistance to assist discovering cause of this tragedy.

Saturday, May 24th 2008, 6:32pm

"I see that you were able to free up some time and come over to Kyoto."

I bowed slightly. "Mother suggested that I should. She thought it would be good for me to come here. It is good to see you, Uncle Shodahito."

"How are you these days?"

"Fine... At least, whenever it's quiet, it's fine." I looked at my uncle. The grey in his hair was no doubt the result of his duties as Emperor of Japan and the fact that three of his nephews - my cousins - had died in a tragic accident a few months ago didn't help much either.

"Good..."

"And you Uncle?"

"Okay... I guess." Uncle Shodahito leaned back. "A lot has happened and is happening these days... as you may have read in the papers."

I nodded and sighed. "Who hasn't? Royals seem to be dropping like flies..."

"Yes, it makes one wonder who will be next."

"While it is always a sad moment to say goodbye to beloved family members that have died, there was also something special about the funeral ceremony... to have the whole family gathered... It has been quite a while since we were all gathered like that... to see family members I haven't seen in quite a while."

"Quite true," Uncle Shodahito agreed. "But we all have duties to perform and some of us have more work to do than others. So meeting each other is not always an easy thing."

"... and then there were all those people representing various nations as well. All showing their respect."

"The future." Uncle Shodahito changed subject, obviously not wanting to talk about the funeral. I'd like to talk to you about the future."

I frowned slightly. "What about the future?"

"You know... Your mother's suggestion? To come here? That was my idea."

"Oh? Is that so?"

"... though that is a result of a suggestion she made to me... and you know that I cannot say no to my elder sister."

I nodded in reply but did not say anything.

"I have been thinking... ever since the accident... about things I have thought about in the past..."

"... and...?" I prompted. I noticed that Uncle Shodahito was a bit hesitant with what he wanted to tell me.

"... and I..."

"... and I...?"

"I have been thinking about it for quite a while... and... I have decided... I want to spend more time with my wife and children. I want to be able to do that without having to worry about the empire... without having to bear its weight wherever I go... I just want to be a bit more... free."

"S... so what you're saying is that you will step down and someone will succeed you... is that it?"

"Exactly."

"... with the death of Cousins Hirohito, Chichibu and Takamatsu, that would mean that cousin Tsuneyoshi would become the next emperor as he is next in line, right?"

"No. He will not"

The answer surprised me. "Not?"

"You will be the successor."

My jaw nearly dropped to the floor. "ME!?!" I said, shocked.

"Yes, you."

"B... but why me?"

"Your mother suggested it and to be honest, it does seem like a sound decision to me."

"I..."

"... unless you have a problem with it. I do not want to force you to take over my duties."

"Yes... I mean no! No, I have no problem with it... but others might. And what about tradition?"

"To be honest, I do not really care about traditions at this moment or if others have a problem with it. What I do care about is that the Empire is in able hands... Good hands... Your hands."

"Surely there are other members of the Imperial Family who are more qualified than I am."

"I doubt it. Experience is always an important factor in my eyes. You're probably more qualified than anyone else."

I was silent for a while. "I am not sure if the Imperial Title fits well with my name though..." I then told.

Uncle Shodahito laughed slightly. "Don't worry. You'll get used to it."

"Maybe..."

Uncle Shodahito then got up. "I have some other things to do. We shall speak about this another time."

"Okay, Uncle."

"Have a safe trip back."

"I will." I bowed. "Goodbye, uncle."

"See you later." My uncle left his study, leaving me alone in the room.

I thought about it for a long time. Under normal conditions, cousin Tsuneyoshi would be next in line. Making me his successor meant that Uncle Shodahito would be receiving a lot of protests from all those traditionalists. It was a big thing when Shogun Tokugawa Kaetuza stepped down and handed power over to his sister, Tsugako. This decision of Uncle Shodahito was even bigger than that.

But times changed and so did the people. Perhaps it wouldn't be as bad as I believed it would be. Perhaps everything would work out quite well.

"Empress Purilun..." I mumbled. I then shook my head. Everything except for the imperial title. That just didn't sound right. It would probably be much better if I were to keep my title as Queen instead of starting to use the title of Empress...

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, May 24th 2008, 8:38pm

So, if I get this right, Queen Purilun is the "Chosen" one?

nice. :)

If the announcement comes at the Funeral, Crown Prince Hendrik will convey the congratulations and respects of the House of Orange to both the former Emperor and the new.

ooc: This was not something I envisioned the Japanese doing.