You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, March 13th 2004, 8:49pm

A rater nice DP gun

I have started to design some guns for my ships, this is my first construction, a 105mm L70 DP gun for cruisers and destroyers

http://www.geocities.com/kustflottan/kfl1914/guns/105M22.htm

Saturday, March 13th 2004, 9:12pm

Isn't 70cal a bit long considering other countries were using 40 or 45cal?

Saturday, March 13th 2004, 9:24pm

barrel length

No is it?

It was meant to be a gun with good armour penetation capability for small vessel, the you need a long barrel to get the muzzel velocity to penetrate the enemy hull. Beside was the gun also a zeppelin defence so you need to fire one shell realy high.

It might be abit before its time but I tink it will work.

Sunday, March 14th 2004, 3:39am

Yes, its a bit long.

At the time these guns were being developed (early 1920s), there was no threat requiring such high velocity in a secondaryarmament gun. Its too early to be a DP mount, so the threat it would be on an BC or heavy cruiser to deal with would be torpedo-carrying destroyers and torpedo boats. These ships are not seriousy armored, and so all that muzzle velocity is likely to be wasted. 40-55 calibers would provide plenty of velocity against these targets.