You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Kaiser

Unregistered

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 2:02am

German Infrastructure Query

I have some concerns about German shipbuilding infrastructure.

Historically, Germany had 5 'Type 3' shipyards operational during WW1, yet its infrastructure does not reflect this.

The following units would all require Type 3 slipways and drydocks:

Kiel
- Kaiser, 1911
- Kaiserin, 1911
- Prinzregent Luitpold, 1912
- Kronprinz, 1914
- Bayern, 1915

Hamburg,
- Friedrich der Grosse, 1911
- Grosser Kurfurst, 1913
- Von der Tann, 1909
- Moltke, 1910
- Goeben, 1911
- Seydlitz, 1912
- Derfflinger, 1913
- Maceknsen, 1917
- Ersatz Freya, incomplete

Danzig
- Konig Albert, 1912
- Baden, 1915
- Lutzow, 1913
- Ersatz Graf Spee, 1917

Wilhelmshaven
- Konig, 1913
- Hindenburg, 1915
- Ersatz "A", incomplete

Bremen
- Markgraf, 1913

Conclusions:

1. It is clear from the build dates that Kiel and Hamburg have at least two Type 3 slips and two Type 3 drydocks operational,

2. Bremen and Wilhelmshaven shoud each have a Type 3 building Slip and a Type 3 drydock available.

3. Danzig is going to be a total loss from an infrastructre point of view.

Any comments?

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 2:11am

I might be wrong, but...

IIRC it was presumed that some of the infrastructure 'degraded' as a result of the war, and the harsh peace terms.

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 2:16am

IIRC that was the general opinion.

Kaiser

Unregistered

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 2:21am

Fair enough, but I know that historically, Hamburg was a viable commercial shipbuilding operation in 1922, building the large passenger liners Bismark (1922, 56,000 tons), Albert Ballin (1923), New York (1927), Kungsholm (1928), Europa (1930, 50,000 tons).

Note that the "Bismark" was turned over to Cunard-White Star as the Majestic as part of Germanies War Reparations. The New York and Alber Ballin were not quite so large, but would still have required a Type 3 slip to build.

The 56,000 ton Bismark/Majestic not only continues operation of the yard, but also implies expansion to Type 4 capabilites.

Edit: Bremen also built a sister ship to the "Europa", the Bremen of 1929, also implying expansion of the yards to Type 4 capability as well. Apart from that, Bremen also built the Sardegna (1923) for Italy, the Sierra Cordoba (1924) and the Berlin (1925).

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 3:41am

My suggestion

On an earlier thread I floated the suggestion that in view of Germany's general industrial capabilities, her infrastructure costs would be halved until she returned to her wartime infrastructure level. This would reflect her steel/gun production capabilities and the lower cost of refurbishing idled facilities.

Germany was/is a major military/industiral/economic player, and I think she ought to have a way to attain that status in the WesWorld.

Kaiser

Unregistered

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 3:50am

Just doing a little bit of online research and it turns out that the Bismark/Majestic (laid down 1914 incidentally) was 915 ft long, bumping the capacity of Hamburg up to a Type 5. Europa and Bremen are listed at 936 feet, which also bumps the Bremen yard up to a Type 5 rating.

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 3:57am

Swampy's correct. It was assumed that, deprived of much in the way of military ship-building, many of the various slips, drydocks, and factories once used for military purposes instead went to private hands or fell into disrepair and became useless.

I had been of the opinion that the existing infrastructure was adequate to support what 12 factories can produce. Some additional infrastructure is planned to be built in 1926 that will address the larger construction issues to a degree.

There's not much point in adding additional infrastructure if there isn't additional warship material being produced...

I'd suggest that if some change in German infrastructure is to be made, that it takes place effective Q1/27. It can be somehow linked to whatever happens with the Frankfurt Amendments for story purposes, and gives us time to sort out what, if anything, will actually change.

Kaiser

Unregistered

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 4:03am

I was thinking that Hamburg and Bremen were kept operational through this entire period. Is it unreasonable to posit that these yards, which were private building yards, not state owned yards, were allowed to keep operating to produce merchant vessels that would be provided to the victors of WW1 as a form of ongoing war reparations?

I can see the deliberate degradation of the state owned naval yards, but the private yards can be exploited by the Entente powers to rebuild the damage Germany caused to the merchant marines' of the Entente powers.

Edit: Merchant construction does not require the heavy armour forging and gun founding facilities. Maybe these two yards were under the admnistrative control of the League of Nations?

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 6:39am

I was assuming (with the use of Jane's) that all the slips and drydocks we were to use our infrustructure points on were military yards, and the civilian and private yards would be seperate and out of our direct control.

But there is a point there that civilian yards can be just as huge, (or even bigger) than military yards.

Perhaps the wargrade production facilities at these larger yards have been decommissioned, and can be recommissioned later on.

On an related idea, has anyone done an infrustructure of the German Empire before the war and then again before the Peace? It might be useful to gauge the recovery of Germany, and also to see what its full potential could be once restrictions are lifted.

Kaiser

Unregistered

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 10:01am

Hamburg in the lead up to and during WW1 was the largest single production for Capital ships for the High Seas Fleet, with 7 Battleships and Battlecruisers laid down (6 Launched).

In the 1911-1921 period 14 Battleships and 8 Battlecruisers were either launched or completed, for an infrastructure point total of 220 points, plus the 30 thirty points standard for a total of 250 points.

10 factories and the 22 factories that goes with the capital ships for a total of 32 factories.

The above figures are a rough count, so it might be a little bit less.

Even so, you still have a significant construction capacity that while it does not compare to the British Empire or the United States in total capacity, is greater than that of the other powers, sometimes by a massive margin.

Edit: Done some research on the various yards.

Kiel

2 x Type 3 Docks
2 x Type 2 Docks
2 x Type 1 Docks
3 x Type 4 Slips
7 x Type 3 Slips
6 x Type 2 Slips

Total Infrastructure : 67 (Yes, 67 - I shit you not)
(Incorporates Kiel Naval Base, Krupp Germania, Howaldswerke)

Wilhelmshaven

1 x Type 4 Dock
2 x Type 3 Docks
3 x Type 1 Docks
1 x Type 3 Slip

Total Infrastructure: 22
(Wilhelmshaven Naval Base)

Emden

1 x Type 4 Dock
2 x Type 4 Slips
1 x Type 3 Slip
1 x Type 2 Slip

Total Infrastructure: 18
(Nordseewerke)

Bremen

2 x Type 3 Docks
1 x Type 2 Dock
1 x Type 5 Slip
2 x Type 3 Slips
3 x Type 1 Slips

Total Infrastructure: 31
(Incorporates AG Weser, Vulkan Bremer)

Hamburg

1 x Type 5 Dock
1 x Type 5 Slip
1 x Type 4 Slip
1 x Type 3 Slip
2 x Type 1 Slips

Total Infrastructure: 20
(Incrorporates Blohn & Voss, Vulkan Hamberg)

Overall Infrastructure: 158

Note: This does not include Danzig (effectively does not exist) or a lot of the smaller yards that I didn't have information on.

Note 2: Losing Danzig would reduce Infrastructure to 230 and 30 Factories (assuming Danzig was roughly equivalent of the other "medium" yards), which still leaves 72 points of Infrastructure unaccounted for in the smaller shipyards.

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 10:25am

Second Largest Navy in the World....historically speaking.

Kind of scary, isn't it?

This was the fleet the Americans decided to match, as the British were too far ahead in 1901.

Dreadnought changed that.

But here in Wesworld....what will it be like?

Kaiser

Unregistered

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 11:25am

Heh, I've just posted some more detailed figures, not quite as scary.

You can see the difference between the naval base at Wilhelmshaven and the commercial building yards.

But take a look at Kiel! Is there anything else on the planet like it?

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 11:48am

sweet mother of pearl!! That is scary....

Kaiser

Unregistered

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 11:55am

And that is with 37% of the Infrastructure unaccounted for or lost due to border changes...

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 11:58am

Original infrastructure

The first player for Germany had this (found in the thread here):

Germany:
Factories = 30 (10 + 20 for capital ships)
infrastructure = 230pts (23 capital ships)

ports =
Type 5 @ Kiel +9
Type 5 @ Hamburg +11
Type 5 @ Settin +7
Type 5 @ Bremen +7
Type 5 @ Wilhemshaven +7
Type 1 @ Bremerhaven

Kiel = 49.5pts
2 Type 3 Slipway - 6pts
2 Type 3 Drydock - 8pts
2 Type 2 Slipway - 4pts
2 Type 2 Drydock - 6pts
2 Type 1 Slipway - 2pts
2 Type 1 Drydock - 4pts
4 Type 0 Slipway - 2pts
4 Type 0 Drydock - 4pts

Hamburg = 59.5pts
3 Type 3 Slipway - 9pts
3 Type 3 Drydock - 12pts
2 Type 2 Slipway - 4pts
2 Type 2 Drydock - 6pts
2 Type 1 Slipway - 2pts
2 Type 1 Drydock - 4pts
4 Type 0 Slipway - 2pts
4 Type 0 Drydock - 4pts

Settin = 39.5pts
1 Type 3 Slipway - 3pts
1 Type 3 Drydock - 4pts
2 Type 2 Slipway - 4pts
2 Type 2 Drydock - 6pts
2 Type 1 Slipway - 2pts
2 Type 1 Drydock - 4pts
4 Type 0 Slipway - 2pts
4 Type 0 Drydock - 4pts

Bremen = 39.5pts
1 Type 3 Slipway - 3pts
1 Type 3 Drydock - 4pts
2 Type 2 Slipway - 4pts
2 Type 2 Drydock - 6pts
2 Type 1 Slipway - 2pts
2 Type 1 Drydock - 4pts
4 Type 0 Slipway - 2pts
4 Type 0 Drydock - 4pts

Wilhemshaven = 39.5pts
1 Type 3 Slipway - 3pts
1 Type 3 Drydock - 4pts
2 Type 2 Slipway - 4pts
2 Type 2 Drydock - 6pts
2 Type 1 Slipway - 2pts
2 Type 1 Drydock - 4pts
4 Type 0 Slipway - 2pts
4 Type 0 Drydock - 4pts

Bremerhaven = 2.5pts
1 Type 0 Slipway - .5pts
2 Type 0 Drydock - 2pts

Kaiser

Unregistered

Sunday, January 9th 2005, 12:06pm

The base figures work out very similarly, but I was taking my information from "Naval Shipbuilders of the World" by Robert I Winklareth.

While the base numbers are fairly similar, there were a huge number of smaller yards that (8 that I don't have precise figures for) which were building the small units.

There are two smaller yards in Hamburg that built submarines and torpedo boats, three smaller yards in Bremen, three small yards scattered along the Baltic coast and another small submarine building yard in Kiel!!!!

This would probably boost Hamburg up to 40 points, Bremen up to 60 points and Kiel up to 75 points!?!?!

It makes you see why Germany made the rest of Europe verrrry nervous.

A 500lb Gorilla with a bad temper.