You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 2:07am

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
Seriously...

If such designs are to have any real worth their radius of action has to be more than 1800 nm, or they are nothing more than glorified coast defense vessels, if that.

Protection is admirable, but devoting a third or more of a ship's mass to armor makes it nothing more than a floating fortress.

How much range should ships generally have? I know that these ships are a tad short legged, but being Austro-Hungarian they do not really need anything like worldwide range.

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
I note that's range at flank speed, but it's still low. Which actually is a trade that could work for Austria-Hungary, as they didn't really need to leave the Adriatic.

I just don't really see the purpose, need, or mission for this ship, though. It just feels like yet another "Oh, me too, I want big battleships too, all the other cool kids have them, I'll die if I don't get them moooommmmiie."

It'd be better for them to spend the money on more important and useful things.

That is basically the story of the Austro-Hungarian Navy in real life. The battleships constructed for the KuK were basically powerful coastal defense ships and tended to be short ranged and top heavy since the fleet existed to defend against the Italian Navy.

In the timeline the Italians do not exist as a major threat with the end of the war. Austria-Hungary has gained more prominence on the world stage and even a few colonies. When they start building ships again, the tendency towards top heavy ships will likely continue.

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 2:29am

Quoted

In the timeline the Italians do not exist as a major threat with the end of the war. Austria-Hungary has gained more prominence on the world stage and even a few colonies.

Well, having overseas colonies is a reason for having range. Being prominent in the world demands being able to show the flag.

How much range? How far do you need to steam to your nearest colony? How far to your nearest enemy? That should guide your thinking.

Wednesday, March 28th 2012, 6:46am

I was wondering if anyone has an example of an armored deck carrier I could look at. I am looking at designing one for the game but I am not sure what one should look like and how to do the miscellaneous weights and such (which are obviously a much bigger deal for a carrier than for a dreadnought or other type of large ship).

Wednesday, March 28th 2012, 3:38pm

The Wesworld guidelines for designing carriers are here.

In short, to be Wesworld-legal, if a carrier has 72 aircraft, then you need to have 72*72 = 5184 tons of miscellaneous weight.

An armoured deck can be simmed using the regular deck armour; a thick deck would be 2-4" (50-100mm). We've discussed the idea of the best way to design an armoured flight deck; there's no single best way, but due to the nature of Springsharp, I'd sim it using miscellaneous weights. Sim the armoured deck using the regular method, then note the weight (in tons) in the breakdown. Add that weight to the ship's miscellaneous weight, then remove the armoured deck in the armour tab. The reason for this method is that Springsharp 2 places all miscellaneous weights at deck level or higher, whereas using the armour tab will put that weight on the main deck and nowhere else. As an armoured flight deck is lofted up higher than that main deck, then placing it as miscellaneous weights allows Springsharp to correctly decipher things like stability, steadiness, etc. It also allows for a split scheme - say you want a 55mm hanger deck and a 25mm armoured flight deck; this method allows you to figure out the weights for the armoured flight deck, then sim the main hanger deck armour separately.

Keep in mind that there's no single way that we've decided upon to sim armoured flight decks. This is just the way I'd suggest, and other people here may tell you to do it differently.

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 7:46am

Is 2,400 miles at full speed good for AH, or would you increase it further? The 1,200 mile operating radius allows the ships to cover the entire Mediterranean from the base at Malta.

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 3:55am

Would it make sense to require ships to be a certain age before they are allowed to be replaced?