You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, December 9th 2015, 4:42pm

That Hungarian agent must be really bored if he's wasting his time stalking a pair of college students. He should hope that Ilic and Kisovec don't have occasion to report his presence to French counterespionage, because then his life might become really exciting... ;)

Wednesday, December 9th 2015, 4:47pm

That Hungarian agent must be really bored if he's wasting his time stalking a pair of college students. He should hope that Ilic and Kisovec don't have occasion to report his presence to French counterespionage, because then his life might become really exciting... ;)

Hungarian? Who says he's Hungarian? 8)

Wednesday, December 9th 2015, 4:59pm

I was looking a bit at the Paris stations a bit as a result of Ilic and Kisovec travels and then ran across something else...

Maybe I missed something somewhere when I read your story but...

Ilic and Kisovec boarded the Orient Express in Belgrade, traveling with Poirot all the way up to Vienna where Poirot transfers to the Arlberg train to Zurich...

... but according to the wiki map of the Orient Express, there are only two Orient Express services going through Belgrade. One is the Simplon-Orient-Express which goes via Venice to Paris and does not stop at Vienna so it is obviously not the one that Ilic and Kisovec took. The other one is the Arlberg-Orient-Express which does stop in Vienna... but stops at Zurich as well and which is where Poirot was heading.

... so Poirot gets off the train to transfer to the Arlberg train... but in order to meet Ilic and Kisovec, he must have been on the Arlberg train from the start... so he gets off the train he needs to be on in order to get to Zurich...

... kinda confusing. ?(

Wednesday, December 9th 2015, 5:07pm

Because Hasting's probably has the Lagonda ready at Vienna to race Poirot to Zurich.
Either that or he's trying to fool someone else by claiming he's going to Zurich when in fact he's going somewhere else. :D

Wednesday, December 9th 2015, 5:16pm

Quoted

... so Poirot gets off the train to transfer to the Arlberg train... but in order to meet Ilic and Kisovec, he must have been on the Arlberg train from the start... so he gets off the train he needs to be on in order to get to Zurich...

... kinda confusing. ?(

Yes, I suppose it is. 8|

But why should a few minor details derail a storyline... hasn't stopped some of us before. ;)

Wednesday, December 9th 2015, 5:47pm

Quoted

Because Hasting's probably has the Lagonda ready at Vienna to race Poirot to Zurich.

He's planning to take over from Clarkson on Top Gear? :D

Quoted

But why should a few minor details derail a storyline... hasn't stopped some of us before.

No, but having looked into it, I really feel that he should have tortured entertained Ilic and Kisovec all the way to his destination. :)

Sunday, December 13th 2015, 9:49pm

Yugoslav News and Events, December 1946

Belgrade, Sunday, 1 December 1946

Captain Stevan Krajinović was writing his evaluation report on the de Havilland Vampire, having had opportunity to examine the type on its recent visit to Zeljava Air Base. To his eye the aircraft’s layout was quite unorthodox, though the British pilots demonstrated the aircraft’s handling abilities quite competently. Unfortunately, the Vampire had no two-seater counterpart at this time – so Krajinović was unable to make any direct comparison with the Gloster Meteor, which he had at least the opportunity to fly.

Oh, the de Havilland sales representatives assured all the Yugoslavs they spoke to that a two-seat Vampire was under design, nearing production even… Krajinović had heard such reassurances from aircraft firms before and accorded it due weight; that is to say, not much. In his mind the performance of the two aircraft were quite similar, and despite the hints at financial assistance if Yugoslavia bought large numbers of the de Havilland product, he still thought that the Meteor would be better suited to his service’s immediate needs.

Of course, he realized as he wrote the summary of his report that his recommendations were not the only factor to be taken into account. Politics, finances, and the ambitions of Yugoslav business would all have to be factored in – to say nothing of the ever-present threat of Italy to the west.

Wednesday, December 16th 2015, 1:01pm

Mostar, Tuesday, 3 December 1946

The meeting in the quiet taverna would have struck an outsider as unusual; even one familiar with Yugoslav domestic politics would have wondered what brought two prominent politicians to the industrial city when no rallies were scheduled or even planned. Still more inexplicable was the presence of a pair of aircraft engineers.

For Boris Cijan and Stanko Obad though the meeting made perfect sense. Their desire to begin development of an indigenous jet aircraft development programme required seed money, and time in which to effect the research. The broker for the meeting was Velimir Radojkovic, chairman of the National Aviation League, and the fourth man seated at the table was Goran Maksimović, president of the War Veteran’s Association, the most powerful pressure group in the country, and a member of Parliament to boot.

“So,” Maksimović inquired, “why did you ask me here?” He was known for being very direct.

Radojkovic waved a hand. “These gentlemen need your help, so that they can assure the nation of its future strength and independence. Permit them to first outline their ideas, and them we can discuss how you can help them.”

So Cijan and Obad outlined for Maksimović their plans for aircraft development – a considered programme starting with a small research aircraft adapted from work they had already done, and eventually designing a combat-worthy aircraft once the techniques of constructing jet aircraft were mastered. They explained that their work would require money – that was a given – and it would require time.

“While Soko can cover most of the costs of our initial work,” Cijan explained, "it will take months, if not years, to reach the point where we can offer the Air Force a suitable aircraft.”

“The National Aviation League,” Radojkovic added, “has offered financial backing to the Soko firm to the tune of five million dinar; this will help.”

Maksimović furrowed his brow and asked, “And you want us poor war veterans to jump in with you?”

Radojkovic smiled. “You would be welcome, but that is not what we are seeking. The British de Havilland delegation has been pressuring the Government to make a quick decision regarding the adoption of their aircraft, and their blandishments have swayed some. We think it would be a tragedy if our national efforts were nipped in the bud to serve another country’s industry.”

It now became clear to Maksimović. They wanted political support against the wholesale acquisition of foreign aircraft. “But we need to maintain our strength against Italian aggression, and prepare for the day when we can liberate our countrymen in the Occupied Territories.”

All agreed on that point, but Radojkovic outlined a strategy that would speak to that issue and still give Cijan and Obad time to do what they needed to do. It took some explaining, but eventually Maksimović agreed that they could count on his support and that of the War Veterans’ Association.

Novosti News Service, Belgrade, Thursday, 5 December 1946

The Ministry of Defence confirmed today the extent of the naval programme for 1947. In addition to completion of Fleet Tender B – expected for February of next year, two fast minelayers are to be laid down, while refurbishment of the motor torpedo boat force will continue. The floating dry dock intended for the naval station at Durrës is expected to be completed in the coming year, and acquisition of long-lead items for a smaller such dock at Kotor has been authorised.

Sunday, December 20th 2015, 6:58pm

Belgrade, The Ministry of Defence, Monday, 9 December 1946

Colonel Dragoslav Milosavljevic reviewed the motor vehicle production plans for the forthcoming year with satisfaction.

Despite cutbacks in its rate of production the M40 Triglav field car would continue to replace older vehicles in both the active army and the reserves; he recalled how the Minister of Finance had commended General Kalafatovic for the cost-cutting effort the Army had undertaken; he also recalled that the production tooling now idle had been mothballed against it being needed again. Truck production, if targets were reached, would permit retirement of many of the older vehicles that now had low reliability ratings due to age. On the one hand, he was pleased at the prospect for potential exports of Zastava trucks to Syria; on the other he was concerned that exports might result in diversions from units that needed their own vehicles replaced.

Needs, means, and money made for an uneasy tripod; thus far he and his predecessors had managed, but it had put many grey hairs on his head.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2015, 1:28pm

Belgrade, The White Palace, Thursday, 12 December 1946

Snow lay heavy on the palace gardens, obscuring the normally verdant prospect of flowers, yet the walks had been carefully cleared, as King Alexsandr was quite fond of his morning constitutional, even in winter. It gave him time to think. Today he had asked the Chief of Air Staff, Major General Lav Rupnik, to join him, for they had much to discuss.

“Rupnik,” the King began, “this matter of jet-powered aircraft vexes me. I understand that we must keep pace with our enemy’s developments, but their appearance renders obsolete much of our air defence.”

“There is truth in that position sire,” the general replied, “but fortunately Italy has moved slowly to deploy such aircraft, and in relatively small numbers thus far. We have a window of opportunity to respond.”

“Yes, yes,” the King agreed. “So Stambolic (1) has advised me; he urges that we accept the British de Havilland offer, quickly. Tudman (2) argues that we cannot afford massive procurement of such aircraft, even if our industry was to construct them under licence. Furlan (3) reminds me that we ought not to slight Britain and risk losing her diplomatic support in any showdown with Italy. Karasec (4) is being pressured by several groups in Parliament to act, but there is no consensus. My ministers cannot agree.”

Rupnik was aware of the divergent opinions of the nation’s politicians, and was appreciative of the direct access to the Crown that came with his responsibilities. “Sire, the de Havilland offer, though quite generous, is not in our best interest at this time.”

“How so?” the King asked, sharply.

“We have few pilots trained to operate jet aircraft at this time. Only recently have we taken charge of a small number of French Graouily fighters, which we are using primarily to train a cadre of qualified pilots. To expand the number of pilots capable of operating jet aircraft a dedicated training aircraft is required; de Havilland has no such aircraft at this time, while their competitor Gloster does. My staff recommends that we acquire a quantity of Meteor fighter aircraft in preference to the Vampire.”

Alexsandr laughed. “That would make Furlan happy. Now, if you can tell me how to make Stambolic or Tudman happy at the same time I should make you my Prime Minister.”

“The acquisition of a small number of Gloster Meteor aircraft would bolster our creditable air defence while giving us aircraft capable of carrying out necessary pilot training” Rupnik explained. “It is likely that development of jet aircraft will be rapid, so expending large sums on acquiring the first generation such aircraft would not make best use of our limited resources.”

“That would please Tudman, and placate Stambolic,” the King acknowledged. He looked at his watch. “Karasec is due here in a half-hour for a meeting. I would like you to join us, and explain your recommendations to him. In the meanwhile, I have worked up an appetite – will you join me for breakfast?”

(1) Petar Stambolic, Defence Minister
(2) Pavel Tudman, Finance Minister
(3) Boris Furlan, Foreign Minister
(4) Nikola Karasec, Prime Minister

Friday, December 25th 2015, 1:55pm

Novosti News Service, Tuesday, 17 December 1946

The Ministry of Defence has announced a decision to procure a quantity of Gloster Meteor fighter aircraft for the Royal Yugoslav Air Force – twenty-five aircraft are to be acquired to equip one squadron. Deliveries are expected to commence in April of next year. At the same time the Ministry announced it had ordered nineteen light transport aircraft from the Canadian branch of the de Havilland concern. These aircraft, the DHC-2 Beaver, will succeed their cousins the Noorduyn Norseman in No.201 Squadron at Dubrave Air Base, Tuzla.

Tuesday, December 29th 2015, 3:28pm

Report of the Hungarian Military Attaché, Belgrade, Friday, 20 December 1946

It is surprising that the Yugoslav Government has opted to purchase a smaller number of Gloster Meteor fighter aircraft in preference to the generous offers made by the competing de Havilland concern. In contrast to the feverish procurement programmes of the last several years the Yugoslavs appear to be approaching the subject of jet aircraft cautiously. My sources indicate that the Yugoslav Government is seeking to send pilots to France, Britain, and Germany for advanced training in the operation of jet combat aircraft, suggesting that further aircraft will be procured at a later date.

The naval programme recently approved by the Yugoslav Parliament contained no great surprises, as the construction of fast minelayers has been speculated upon for some time. Given the facilities available to the Yugoslav navy it has reached its limits of expansion; hence the investment in new infrastructure at Durrës and Kotor.

Motorisation of the Yugoslav army continues apace. My sources suggest that while production of field cars may be slowing all efforts are being made to increase domestic output of trucks. The Novi Sad Vehicle Works is expected to deliver the first of the new Orkan armoured reconnaissance vehicles in January 1947. The announcement in October of requirements for a new medium tank have drawn many offers from foreign concerns but the Yugoslav Government is holding off a decision pending submission of a domestic design; the competition officially closes in March of next year.

Deliveries of armaments to Syria continue. The first of the new batch of Orao fighters were shipped in November together with Galeb trainers; it is rumoured that Yugoslav instructors may replace a French mission in training Syrian pilots on the new aircraft. Tanks, artillery, and small arms have also been shipped, and munitions production increased to support the Syrian demand.

Wednesday, January 6th 2016, 10:17pm

Jugoslovenska Vojnik, Monday, 23 December 1946

Friday, January 8th 2016, 5:58am

What sort of requirements do the Yugoslavians want to see in their ideal half-track replacement?

Friday, January 8th 2016, 1:44pm

What sort of requirements do the Yugoslavians want to see in their ideal half-track replacement?

Thus far the Yugoslav Army has not framed formal requirements for an HT.40 replacement; there are elements who would like to replace it with something full tracked with all sorts of gee-whiz armament - but wiser heads who control the checkbook oppose that. A consensus might be something about the same size as an HT.40, with overhead cover, and capable of adaptation to support roles.

Speaking OOC, this may lead to a domestic product in the late 1940s.

Friday, January 8th 2016, 3:39pm

Ah. The reason I asked is because I've been fiddling (very briefly) with some designs and drawings of various infantry carriers, both wheeled and fully-tracked.

Monday, January 11th 2016, 9:07pm

Hrvatska revija, Friday, 27 December 1946