You are not logged in.

Thursday, January 30th 2014, 7:30pm

Hmmm... if he disappeared, how would we know that he was roughed up before that? :)

The bruises on the curb...

Thursday, January 30th 2014, 7:38pm

Hmmm... if he disappeared, how would we know that he was roughed up before that? :)

The bruises on the curb...

Astute observation Monsieur Dupin.

Sunday, February 2nd 2014, 2:43am

Trade Protection Cruisers

In the early 1920s, the Royal Navy found itself with a large number of
war-weary cruisers that would face eventual block obsolesce in the
not-too-distant future. With the post-war economic and political
situation not conducive to the kind of extravagant spending known during
and before the Great War, coupled with the realities of Cleito treaty
limitations, the RN explored the possibility of producing more economic
trade protection cruisers to eventually replace it's Great War vintage
light cruisers in secondary empire roles. Key among the features
intended for the design was enclosing the main armament in a turret, and
to reduce costs, use a crew-serviceable 5.5" gun, rather than the
larger 6" guns then common in use on light cruisers, with it's lighter
crew-serviceable shells.

Diana Class

While the first three ships of this project, the 4800 ton Minerva class
were being built, a successor 5000t design with an additional turret was
also put into production. However, while the four ships of the Hector
class were still being built, the evaluation of the Minerva class proved
to be poor to the RNs tastes. The 5.5" shells, while lighter than the
6" shells, still proved too heavy and cumbersome for unassisted crew
handling for any length of time. With the shells not proving to be a
benefit onboard ship, Quartermasters also found the need to maintain a
separate ammunition stock at worldwide bases to be a not-insignificant
logistical boondoggle. With other issues stemming from their small size
and corner-cutting lack of amenities, the Minerva class was quietly
transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy not long after their
commissioning, while the four ships of the Hector class never completed
fitting out, and put into reserve for almost 20 years.

Hector Class

The three Minerva class ships performed as the core of the RCN for
several years as domestic Canadian construction took time to meet
Canadian needs, before being reduced to training roles in 1938. But as a
result of the RCN being formed with a core of 5.5" armed vessels, the
caliber took root in the Canadian logistics establishment, with newer
automation-assisted mounts being developed on other ships. With a need
to soon retired the aging Argyll class cruisers, an agreement has been
reached with the Royal Navy to transfer the Hector class to Canada to
complete fitting out and serve with the RCN until such time as modern
replacements are ready.

Sunday, February 2nd 2014, 2:32pm

9 October
"Yes, those aircraft will be most useful. Too long have we been denied the newest tools of war."
"They are surplus to our needs, but they will fit your requirements quite adequately."
"Indeed."
"Now we need to discuss the manpower, pilots and grounds crews. It takes time to train them but have drawn up a plan of action..."

14 October
Armstrong Whitworth have test-flown a new variant of the Hawker Tempest, now entering service as an interceptor for the RAF. A production Tempest, SN329, has been modified with a Malcolm G Type winch under the port wing and all armament removed, for trials as a high-speed target tug, a type the RAF badly needs. A production order is uncertain until trials have been completed.

15 October
Samir al-Rifai has become Prime Minister of Transjordan, replacing Tawfik Abu al-Huda who has served as prime minister since 28 September 1938.

Saturday, February 8th 2014, 2:33pm

18 October
"I've put three-four-two, eight-six-one, Lulu and three-four-eight down Sir."
"Was three-four-eight properly repaired after that prang the other month?"
"Well she doesn't fly entirely straight, but its the best we could do."
"Old Lulu is pretty tired too. The object isn't to dispose of your wrecked crates Flight Sergeant. They need planes that fly."
"I understand Sir."
"Anyway, until they can get things together they'll be flown and serviced by us at this airfield anyway. You'll need to replace the markings too. Quite what they've decided on I'm not sure. Anyway, get some decent aircraft on that transfer list."
"Yes Sir. I'll sort that out right away Sir."

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 2:57pm

Malaya, October 1944
[Assuming the Sino-Chosen War is still active]

October 9
The Burma Frontier Force arrested four suspects found inside one of the new border exclusion zones along the border with China.

October 11
Singapore's Chamber of Commerce has written a report on the worrying increase in shipping costs. Tramp steamers and local companies have been charging 'danger money' for cargoes heading to China and Japan and the Philippines and costs are spiralling. This has generally affected export and import companies and the knock-on effects on the economy could become serious. It has been noted that smugglers and criminal gangs have tapped into this lucrative market, although two such vessels have been stopped, searched and impounded by Royal Navy patrols since last month. Unconfirmed rumours suggest at least one of the vessels was fired upon by a sloop before her skipper decided to heave-to.

October 14
The 4th Light Armoured Reconnaissance Brigade arrives in Singapore aboard four chartered freighters from Britain. The unit will join the 4th Armoured Division.

October 15-23
The 2nd Infantry Division undertakes orientation and jungle warfare training exercises with other units of XI Corps.

October 17
Far East Command declares the Federated Malay States Volunteer Force a full frontline brigade. Around 600 volunteers have signed on for full service terms with the British Army. In Singapore a flood of recruits has swamped the recruitment office for the Strait Settlements Volunteer Force. This unit has been mobilised for local security patrols of military installations and the harbour facilities.

October 23
In Kuala Lumpur, crowds gathered outside the city hall to receive gas marks, supplies soon run short and some disturbances are noted. Demonstrations last month saw 480,000 residents of the city demand air raid shelters and gas masks. There were a few reported incidents of violence and disorder but local police generally maintained the peaceful situation. The local authorities begin to discuss the widespread issuing of gas masks to the population soon after. Today the first batch of 20,000 masks was distributed. Around a million gas masks are on order from Britain and around a hundred basements and sturdy buildings have been earmarked as shelters. The population have been quietly settled at the sight of recent new batteries of elderly 3in AA guns emplaced in parks and daily flights of Martin-Baker and Spitifre fighters of the RAF passing over the city in large formations.

October 29
A local man in Singapore was sentenced to two years imprisonment for loose talk and boasts about the state of fuel stocks at the naval base. Unconfirmed reports suggest work has already begun on large excavations for a large subterranean building which has brought a welcome boost to local employment. Rumours suggest it will be another massive oil tank, others believe a large dry dock or further armoured pens for small boats or perhaps a new command centre.

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 6:00pm

Someone should tell that dude that Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 7:21pm

Quoted

Tramp steamers and local companies have been charging 'danger money' for cargoes heading to China and Japan and the Philippines and costs are spiralling.

I cannot imagine why shipowners are charging danger rates for sailing to the Philippines. The Philippines are neutral in the conflict.*

*At least as of October 1944.

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 9:15pm

I would imagine its due to simple proximity to the conflict combined with Chosen declaring unrestricted submarine warfare.

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 10:43pm

I would imagine its due to simple proximity to the conflict combined with Chosen declaring unrestricted submarine warfare.

I think it's simple price gouging... :rolleyes:

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 10:58pm

Sounds like an opportunity for French shipowners to make some money... offering reasonable-cost services!

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 11:09pm

To me it is more a matter of the British being p*ssed off that, when you look at the map with Chosen's submarine hunting teritories, neither the Philippines nor Japan are hindered by it at all while Hong Kong is severly hindered by it. Contrary to the British propaganda lies, routes to Japan and Philippines are completely safe and slapping so-called 'danger money' on all the transportation costs is in Japan's eyes a clear attempt to steal more money.

I would assume that neither the Filipino nor the Japanese transport companies are charging extra money so if the people are smart, they would be using those companies to transport goods instead of the British ones (and no doubt, the British are labeling the Filipino and Japanese companies as 'smugglers and criminal gangs'). And I agree that the French would have a good business opportunity there to move in and take over numerous trips which under normal circumstances would be carried out by the British.

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 11:15pm

I note that the comment refers to local shipping and tramp lines, rather than the larger British shipping lines; and so the "danger money" feels to me more like a result of local alarm rather than large-scale alarm.

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 11:52pm

I note that the comment refers to local shipping and tramp lines, rather than the larger British shipping lines; and so the "danger money" feels to me more like a result of local alarm rather than large-scale alarm.

Depends on context, though I would tend to agree. "Danger money" sounds more like a demand by the crew for extra pay for sailing into waters they deem unsafe; lower freight rates from competing flags would tend to keep the owners from raising freight rates unduly, and neutral flags have not had losses to suggest 'war insurance' rates are in force.

Perhaps some Chinese triad is trying to squeeze the local ship owners... 8)

Monday, February 24th 2014, 12:04am

Those blasted evil Chinese Triads again!!

Monday, February 24th 2014, 12:27am

Those blasted evil Chinese Triads again!!
Or perhaps the Yakuza are extending their reach... :D

Monday, February 24th 2014, 1:07am

Hey! You're not supposed to know that! You're supposed to falsely accuse those blasted evil Chinese Triads again!! :D

Monday, February 24th 2014, 1:17am

If the RN isn't up to the task of protecting neutral shipping that in effect the British shipping lines need to price gouge then the USN is happy to offer its services...for a nominal fee. Trade is important to the United States after all.

Monday, February 24th 2014, 1:53am

There's no need to risk lives and ships along the Chinese coast when one can ship all manner of goods by rail from Bharat.

Monday, February 24th 2014, 1:58am

There's no need to risk lives and ships along the Chinese coast when one can ship all manner of goods by rail from Bharat.

By what route is that? I wasn't aware that there was a rail connection between Bharat and China.