You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 10:30pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Snip has certainly forced everyone to reconsider their strategies and policies.

Germany certainly sees no reason to change its perceptions regarding its southern neighbor. ;)

Friday, August 9th 2013, 1:33am

Wednesday March 22nd

Despite efforts to keep the press from stumbling onto the impending withdrawal from the AEGIS agreement before all the member nations could be informed, a Genoa newspaper published an article headlined The Death of AEGIS front page on the morning of the 22nd. From there, the story spread across Italy with headlines such as Alone on the Sea of Nations: The Way Forward and Now Ripe for the Picking signaling the mix of alarmist spin and thoughtful commentary that publications were putting on the move. One thing was clear to all readers, the SATSUMA threat was dead as layed out by the China-Chosen War. While most favored the move, why send Italy's sons (and now maybe daughters) to die on someone else's behalf, there were some who saw the move as dangerous. The latter were the focus of one man who sat alone in his office, working to put his plans further into motion. While a unintended sideshow to his eventual goals, this would make for more fuel for the fire he planed to start.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Friday, August 9th 2013, 2:59am

Quoted

I'm not being sarcastic, that's the logical assessment I made. Italy isn't likely to join the Warsaw Pact given tensions with Yugoslavia and perhaps Greece.

And for more concrete reasons besides. The Warsaw Pact is an alliance of small countries working together to prevent a Great Power from making them into puppet states. If Italy tried to join the Warsaw Pact, then Italy would become the de facto leader in short order - and that would undermine the Warsaw Pact's entire raison d'être.

Quoted

GA is the only realistic European alternative left.

We apparently have very different ideas on that count... ;) If Italy joined the GA, then it would be over France's veto. Not (as I've said before) that France really has anything out for Italy; I see Paris as apathetic towards Rome. True, France does wish to prevent Italy (or any other Great Power) from gaining too much ascendency in Europe; and France did see AEGIS as a major threat due to the possibility of them causing a three-front war. Otherwise, France doesn't really pay Italy much heed.

Quoted

Italy has a stake in the Suez for example too.

A small one, yes. If I understand the posts correctly, the Suez Canal is still majority owned by the Compagnie de Suez. France would dearly like to force the Italians out of their Suez stake, but they lack a sufficient lever. It's one of the few major bones I see between France and Italy at present.

Friday, August 9th 2013, 3:03am

Well said Brock.

In looking over the jenga of Wesworld treaties, there seems to be no non-aggression treaty in force between Germany and Italy - and Germany has one with just about everyone else. I personally do not know the reason for this. Could one of the older hands enlighten me as to why this is the case?

Not that Germany wants to negotiate one at this time, or sees any need to change its present relations with Italy, but I am curious as to whether there is a reason or was it a case of player oversight?

Friday, August 9th 2013, 5:30am

Interesting, had this happened a while back, there would have been war between Mexico and Italy, which would have been hilarious in the inability of either party to do anything to harm the other. AEGIS of course prevented that. But now if Iberia also leaves and there is an Iberian player... Hmm.

Friday, August 9th 2013, 6:13am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Interesting, had this happened a while back, there would have been war between Mexico and Italy, which would have been hilarious in the inability of either party to do anything to harm the other. AEGIS of course prevented that. But now if Iberia also leaves and there is an Iberian player... Hmm.

No, there would not have been a war. Italy knows you don't feed trolls.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Friday, August 9th 2013, 12:54pm

I think that leaves AEGIS at Iberia, Denmark, Siam and Peru.

There's certainly still some mutual interests in Asia for three of them. I think Peru may be the odd one out though.

Friday, August 9th 2013, 1:05pm

In Asia perhaps but overall, Iberia and Peru share a mutual distrust of South America I think.

Friday, August 9th 2013, 4:53pm

Strategically, it leaves Italy trapped in the Mediterranean basin given that Iberia could probably have seized Gibraltar or at least blockaded it and prevented it from being used as a viable base. To offset that Libya is becoming a part of the Republic and probably more integrated into defence plans and it provides a level of oil self-sufficiency. In any case Italy is a powerful nation and can wield formidable naval and aerial power in the region and could cause a fair bit of chaos in wartime.

I'm guessing RA brought into the Canal to secure routes to EAS. I've no major objection to Italy's shareholding (though I've always found it odd) but France and Britain could offer to buy out the Italian stake with enough money. Not sure if that would affect PETA though, and Italy might no be willing to sell given its interests in East Africa.

Anyhow, I think we need a bad boy in the Med to keep things going. It's one of the few powder kegs in WW with so many rival nations so close together. ;)

Friday, August 9th 2013, 5:00pm

They might offer to sell their share, but the asking price would be so high that it would probably bankrupt France/Britain and thus the offer will be turned down...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Aug 9th 2013, 5:00pm)

Friday, August 9th 2013, 8:42pm

Friday March 24th, Rome

The main senate chamber slowly quieted as Duca d'Aosta raised his hands. "Gentlemen of the Italian Senate, distinguished guests, and members of our citizenry; today we put to the vote, grand arbiter of modern government, the question of Tripolitania and Cyrenaica. For years, these two colonies have provided us with much, and we have done our best to compensate them. But there is more we can do. Ever since the inception of our Republic in 1934, both these provinces have not had full representation. Today, we have the opportunity to change that. We have debated, discussed, and dissected the issue. Clerk, please begin the roll call."

Names rattled off, followed by many variations on "Present!" Both Mario Petruzzo and Alessadri Doge sounded off. Then to vote taking began. When finished, over two thirds of the Senate vote to post the question of joining the Italian Republic to Tripolitania and Cyrenaica. Alessadri Doge slipped quietly out of the chamber.

Some time later, Alessadri sat in the back of another out of the way church with the small man. "The vote passed" he said to his counterpart. "And we feel the measure is likely to pass in both Tripolitania and Cyrenaica. That will give the doves all they need to ensure we never have the means to accomplish our goals to return Italy to prominence."

"Then it is time we tip the scales in your favor." Said the small man. "You will play your part soon enough" With that he disappeared into the night, leaving Alessadri to contemplate the hidden meanings in the message alone.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 9:36am

Monday, April 3rd
The testing grounds clattered with mechanical life. A pair of 90mm armed and 76mm armed Triarri medium tanks made there way to ranges, a Velites armored car waited as its driver fussed over a purring Isotta-Fraschini engine. In the middle of the chaos, a single supply officer stood in the mud diving over a clipboard. A grease-covered mechanic jogged up to him. "Sir, there is a truck at the suspension testing course with a payload that you want to see."

With a sigh, the supply officer said. "If you must Lazzaro." He followed the mechanic though squelching mud. Arriving at the intentionally bumpy course, the first thing the supply officer picked up on was the swarm of Ansaldo engineers working around the still tarp covered payload on the truck's tailor. He approached one of the engineers. "You must be the special group I was told to expect, this afternoon ." The last part of the statement was layered with much loathing of those who did not keep to precise timetables.

"Sorry" The Ansaldo employee replied "but we are here now. Want to see what we brought with us?" A curt nood answered. "Looks like they are taking the tarp off now."

As the tarp was lifted, the supply officer's jaw droped closer and closer to the ground as the largest tank hull he had ever seen was relieved.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Monday, September 9th 2013, 12:42am

Redacted
-Siegfried Sassoon

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "snip" (Sep 9th 2013, 5:17am)

Monday, September 9th 2013, 12:48am

"Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo." - Andy Finkel

Monday, September 9th 2013, 12:52am

I'm intentionally leaving the caliber somewhat unknown, so its up to each to determine whether it was rigged or just a really big effing gun. (read as: I know I want a bigger gun for the supplement/successor to the Triarii, but not how big)
-Siegfried Sassoon

Monday, September 9th 2013, 12:53am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
"Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo." - Andy Finkel

Touche! :D

Monday, September 9th 2013, 3:55am

Sorry to punch holes in your fun...

Quoted

Originally posted by snip
I'm intentionally leaving the caliber somewhat unknown, so its up to each to determine whether it was rigged or just a really big effing gun. (read as: I know I want a bigger gun for the supplement/successor to the Triarii, but not how big)

It was rigged: the target did not react according to the laws of physics.

The impact of a shell on a tank would not impart enough force to lift a tank off the ground in the fashion described - not unless the shell was much, much larger and carrying significantly more kinetic energy. And in the event it was, then the tank would not have been blown upward, but backward.

If the target tank had been filled with explosives, then it could have 'brewed up' - exploded - but in such a case, the hull would have channeled the blast out through the openings in the hull. This could have disconnected the turret and thrown it in the air, perhaps, but the hull would almost certainly have not gone flying. The direction of the venting explosion would have been upward. Further, the statement that the shell continued on to hit the second tank strongly implies that the tank had not brewed up, because the shell fuse clearly malfunctioned and did not detonate the shell within the first tank as it should have. Therefore, any internal explosion would have to be ignited solely by the impact of the shell, and yet could not significantly alter the flight of the shell.

The most likely explanation is that the relevant explosion occurred underneath the tank. A tank shell would not have had the explosive capacity to launch a tank in this fashion. Analysis would indicate an off-center explosion underneath the first tank; in other words, a large land mine, command-detonated underneath the vehicle.

Inductive reasoning, therefore, demonstrates that the first tank was destroyed by a rigged demo(lition charge).

As for the second tank, "folded up like a piece of paper", that is again behavior which defies the laws of physics. In order to 'fold up' as described, the shell would not have penetrated the tank's armour, but instead imparted a low-velocity non-penetrating blow which deformed the armour on a massive scale. The sort of face-hardened armour used on tanks actually tends more towards the brittle than the pliable; therefore the shell should have either penetrated and holed the armour, or cracked it. If the shell struck with enough force to deform the armour on this scale - even if it were in a pliable-enough sort of state, perhaps heated to a high temperature to achieve sufficient malleability - then the shell would have deposited enough kinetic energy into the target tank to throw it backwards. See the analysis of the first tank for why that's not possible.

All in all, rather a lot of possibilities for this one, since it's so unlikely a chain of events. The snarky side of me would critique what sort of armoured vehicle engineer would design a tank with armour so rubbery-pliable that it folds up when hit by another tank shell (which is similarly malfunctioning). I guess that's Italian quality for you! ;) But the most likely explanation is, again, rigged demo: perhaps the second tank was made of rubber and sections were designed to deflate when hit.

Summary: rigged demo. Ye canna change th' laws of physics!

Monday, September 9th 2013, 7:09am

Thursday, April 6th. Venice

Eva Basso looked around her childhood room, walls bare for the first time in years. It felt a little off, seeing so much of her life packed into boxes. You wanted this she thought to herself Just didn't think it would feel this off. Turning around, she left the room. Walking down the stairs of the family house, her mother and father were waiting for her. The conversation after she enlisted was, difficult. Quite a bit of yelling, questioning of the family honor and womanly virtue had put a strain on there relationship for the past month. Not much was said as they piled into the family car and drove to the train station.

Finally when they got to the platform, train building steam in the background, her mother hugged her tightly. "I'm going to miss you darling" she said "I know you will make us proud. I love you so much."

Her father was next. "No matter what I said before, I will always love you. Please be safe." Tears clouded his eyes, but refused to fall.

"I...I..." Eva choked back tears of her own "I love you both to." The train whistle sounded. "I should go..." One last hug squeezed her mother and father hard, and then Eva picked up her bag, and stepped onto the train. As it began to pull away, she waved to her parents. Finding her seat, she watched out the window as Venice slowly melted into countryside. Only when few traces of civilization shot pasted the windows did she allow her compouser to break for a moment, thinking of home.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, September 12th 2013, 6:56am

Wednesday, April 12th. Napoli

Mario Petruzzo rather enjoyed Napoli. The Senate was in a week of recess, and he took the time to travel away from Rome. It would be the only respite in the foreseeable future, the vote for Tripolitania and Cyrenaica's joining of the Republic as member states on the 27th was fast approaching. This year he decided to look up some old classmates, who now sat across from him at the small cafe table. Laughing merrily, they sipped at drinks recalling times long gone. Cars clattered by on the road, with enough frequency that none of the men noticed the shady looking figure across the street with a nervous looking boy next to him.

The man wore a long trench coat, which was both good and bad on this rather warm afternoon. Sweat dampened his shirt, but it also allowed him to keep a tight hold on the boy's arm out of sight of anyone who may do something about it. His other hand moved a photo into his line of vision, which he then leveled at the table across the street. Inwardly nodding, he turned to the boy. "Now, do exactly as I tell you or your family will never see you again." A terrified nod answered him. "Tell Giuseppe that they are at the Grasso Legionario, on the padio. "Of course they had to pick a place that has a almost identical font and name just two buildings down. Giuseppe is dumb enough to make us all end up feeding fish. "Make sure he gets it right, or its your head." And mine. He then let go of the boy's arm, who then sprinted off down the street and eventually ducked into a side alley. Checking again, the small group of men were still sitting at the table; now with a fresh round of drinks. Enjoy them he thought to himself as they will be your last.

The boy ran up to a truck parked a ways down the dim alley and rapped on the door. Giuseppe shot awake at the sound, the newspaper covering his face fell to the floor of the cab. "Grasso Legionario." the boy whispered, then repeated louder when Giuseppe did not react.

"I got it you little tetta ventosa" Giuseppe spat back "now wait here, and you still might live. Your mother too." The truck's engine clattered to life, and with the gnashing squeal of a poorly worked clutch began rolling down to the street. It turned right, and then passed out of sight beyond the corner. The boy ran, sprinting as fast as his legs would carry him to the next corner up, some police men were there enjoying lunch. His mother had always said trust the police.

Giacomo Petruzzo was enjoying a final cool glass of water, his compatriots having returned to duty, leaving him with the bill. Well he thought to himself at least that attractive watrise is still here. Might be able to make something of that. As he thought this, he spoted a young boy running up to him. Out of breath, the boy began speaking rapidly.

"Signore!Signore!" he panted tugging on the sleeve of Giacomo's uniform, "Badmen, in a truck. Going to crash into people!"

Giacomo rocketed to his feet. "Where!?"

The boy said nothing, and took off running. Giacomo followed. Just then, the sounds of automobile tires squealing on street pathing, crunching mettle on stone and cries of wounded people reverberated from the next street over. Without thinking, Giacomo sprinted into the evolving chaos.

Thursday, April 13th.
Newspaper, page 5:
Automobile crash kills 4.
Yesterday as the lunch rush wound down, a delivery truck crashed into the Grasso Vecchio Scrofa Tavern. The driver of the truck apparently was driving to close to the middle of the road, and was almost hit head-on. the driver overreacted and hit the curb, sending the truck onto its side before crashing into the front of the tavern. A young cupple and the server waiting on them were killed, most likely on impact, when the truck slammed into the table they occupied. The truck driver was mortally inured and died at the scene before medical help arrived. Many others were injured by the crash, and were moved to area hospitals. Several bystanders help both with wounded and providing testimony to Napoli Police. Police at this time are treating the crash as accidental. One of the bystanders that rushed to help was Foreign Minister Mario Petruzzo, who was near the crash. Foreign Minister Petruzzo is one of the architects of the coming vote in Tripolitania and Cyrenaica and if his actions yesterday are any indication, he truly does have the best interests of everyday Italians at heart.

Napoli Central Police Headquarters
Giacomo Petruzzo was hunched over the body of the truck driver. Many tatooes covered his body, and Giacomo had seen many of them. Turning to the man behind him, he pointed at a tatoo. "Right there, that is Camorra. Given what I have found about there recent political activity, I do not think this was an accident. This was an attempt to assassinate Foreign Minister Mario Petruzzo." The boy had told him all that he needed to draw the connection. Both the boy and his mother were in protective care, safe from the Camorra's reach for a short while at least.

Rome
Later that evening, the small man was handed two envelopes, one a telegram, the other unmarked. He opened the first, it was a news story talking about a body that was fished out of the Napoli sewers clad in a trench coat. One loose end tied up the small man thought. We will find the boy, eventually. He opened the second one. Alessadri Doge's handwriting flowed across the page.

I see your delivery tuck was not sent to the right place. Leave the package to me.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, September 12th 2013, 2:08pm

Obviously some Camorristi set their sights higher than simple smuggling. ;)