You are not logged in.

Sunday, November 28th 2004, 11:29am

Go Ni transport vessel..

... or PRS Balabac

I've some comments;

- 10:1 length to beam ratio??

- 2.7m draft?

Is this just a transport vessel or an LST? It sure looks like an LST to me. Ok so its impossible to land a tank from it due to; there is no space to put a tank. Those 152mm guns are really badly placed. When your infantry is disembarking those guns will have to cease fire else they'll kill their own troops.

Where do you fit 150men?

Putting those 2 152mm turrets forward together is a real bad idea. It puts lots of weight on the hull forward. Thats going to make her an abysmally wet ship. I imagine that she'll hit a wave and her bow never comes back up out of it again.

Why not just use an old merchant vessel with a couple of 152mm guns tagged onto her?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, November 28th 2004, 11:46am

Very good questions...

Sunday, November 28th 2004, 12:31pm

It is quite funny that some of these questions ( and I am talking about the first two) are asked now since there are a few already operational in the Japanese fleet (original design is of 1922).

Quoted

- 10:1 length to beam ratio??

So? For that displacement I can go up to 12:1 according to our agreement (8,000 tons being the upper limit for that l:b ratio). To be honest, I'm not even sure why I did that and looking at it now, perhaps I should have gone for something lower. If you want me to do that, sure no problem, but that wil mean that the original Go-ni Mk. 1 will have to be adjusted as well.

Quoted

- 2.7m draft?

Too deep in my opinion.

Quoted

Is this just a transport vessel or an LST? It sure looks like an LST to me. Ok so its impossible to land a tank from it due to; there is no space to put a tank.

Tank? What tanks? I didn't know I had any tanks. Even if I did have them, the 15cm turrets (6 inch for the Balabac) are in the way to put them on there. Still I had something like that in mind but not for the use of tanks but troops.

Quoted

Those 152mm guns are really badly placed. When your infantry is disembarking those guns will have to cease fire else they'll kill their own troops.

By the time they disembark those 6 inch guns should not be firing. A minor flaw in the design so that is why the Mk. 2 has the additional 75mm guns.

Quoted

Where do you fit 150men?

Where ever there is place aboard that ship, even if that means putting them among the shells, on the bridge, among the turbines and boilers, or on top of the main gun turrets. Whether that is safe fro the troops... probably not.

Quoted

Why not just use an old merchant vessel with a couple of 152mm guns tagged onto her?

Old merchant vessels? What old merchant vessels? I didn't know I had any old merchant vessels.

The Go-ni group of vessels are just some weird ideas I came up with. SS sees no real problem with the design, but whether it would work as it should in reality, I dodn't really know.