You are not logged in.

Friday, June 13th 2008, 7:58am

That list isn't comprehensive, either. It noticably leaves out the Liberty and Constitution, Britannic and Georgic, Bremen, Europa, Aquitania, Berengaria, Majestic, Leviathan, etc. to just name a few. (The latter three should be expiring soon, tho)

I never heard an itinerary for La Argentina, but given similar issues as stated above, I didn't think she was destined for Transatlantic service.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ShinRa_Inc" (Jun 13th 2008, 8:01am)

Friday, June 13th 2008, 5:10pm

Quoted

If we really want to start delving this deep into the intracies of transatlantic economics, I find it hard to believe that the primarily American/European clientele will flock from the presitgious American/European lines to an Asian upstart crewed and owned liner in this time period, plus without a home country to 'base' out of for the route, I suspect the relevant taxes and duties imposed on such a foreign competitor would also do a great deal to reverse your anticipated profit margins, Roo.

So you believe in visions... well I don't. :)

It should be noted that the Japanese Line Service is anything but upstart.
[Bragging mode on]
Also the first Ocean Liner design ever posted on the Wesworld board was a Japanese Liner.
[Bragging mode off] :)
... back in 2003. I think the next liner design to appear was Canis's SS Columbia in 2005.
Originally I had the idea to run the ship a few times across the Atlantic to get the Blue Riband, but in the end I never bothered to do that and it is very doubtful that the Floating Palace will ever bother to cross the Atlantic to bring passengers from Europe to America and vice versa. What I gave was a "Simple Example". I deliberately used the Floating Palace as the luxury aboard the Floating Palace is the same as on the Olympic (except the Tourist Class). Considering the fierce competition on the Atlantic route, I do believe that it is a likely scenario and one of the European nations might start doing something like that (who knows? The SS Posiedon might just be such a ship).

... and when I read that bit you posted, I realized that while it has been around for a long time, I never bothered to give the Line Service a name... so this morning I decided to call it:
[SIZE=4]Inperiaru Rain Saabisu[/SIZE] (= Imperial Line Service)
Also known as...
[SIZE=4]IRS[/SIZE] (*)
:)

... and while I was thinking about that, I also came up with the Kiribati Fueling Corporation (**) in order to refuel the liner during a high speed trip to South America. :)

Quoted

I don't see a source for that wikipedia quote, while many of the cited sources on the United States article still list 'over 40 knots'. From my interpretation from reading various books and articles, the 'over 40 knots' figure was reached during trials, when the ship was run at a very light displacement, and other ideal conditions, with 38 knots being the maximum speed when loaded and fitted out.

I can't say anything about that, but what I do know is that you do not enter the trial speed into SS, but the regular speed. So to sim the SS United States, you use 38 knots as speed and not +40 knots.
(Whoops! That's one bold 'not' too many :) )

BTW, I think the same is true for the Shimakaze's speed.

Quoted

I agree, particularily when you see the market is already flooded with liners.

I was aware of that, even before CanisD started the whole Ocean Liner craze in the late 1920s (1926 to be exact). Eventhough the more recent giants were not around, there would still have been plenty of ships going back and forth between America and Europe. This is why I never bothered to go for the Blue Riband and this is the reason why I do not bother trying to muscle my way into the Atlantic market.

Quoted

I never heard an itinerary for La Argentina, but given similar issues as stated above, I didn't think she was destined for Transatlantic service.

Probably not between North America and Europe but South America and Europe. That should still count as Transatlantic service.

(*) Yes, I deliberately use the name in Romanji to get that abrevation. :)

(**) Yes, that's KFC alright. :D

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Jun 13th 2008, 5:29pm)

Friday, June 13th 2008, 5:13pm

In WW there has to be some place for luxury liners on Mainland US-Havaii, Mainland US- Shanghai and so on lines

Friday, June 13th 2008, 5:18pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10

Probably not between North America and Europe but South America and Europe.

IIRC that is in fact the route, its also the route for the Aquitanius when she completes (and the war ends).

Friday, June 13th 2008, 5:28pm

Hmmm... Seems like I forgot to quote something there... ^_^;;

Quoted

In WW there has to be some place for luxury liners on Mainland US-Havaii, Mainland US- Shanghai and so on lines

That was what I was thinking originally with the Japanese liners. Travelling from and to Asia. Going to and coming from North America, South America, Central America, Carribean, Australia, South Africa. Europe is probably unlikely as it will probably be faster using the Trans Siberia Railway to get to Europe.

Quoted

IIRC that is in fact the route, its also the route for the Aquitanius when she completes (and the war ends).

It seems logical since there is something of a liner war going on on the North Atlantic Route, but barely anything goes to the South Atlantic region.

Friday, June 13th 2008, 6:08pm

Mainland US - Hawaii would be an even tougher proposiition than Transatlantic, Roo. Look up the Jones Act.

Friday, June 13th 2008, 6:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
Mainland US - Hawaii would be an even tougher proposiition than Transatlantic, Roo. Look up the Jones Act.

Since most OTL laws, treaties ect dont apply in WW has this act been passed?

Friday, June 13th 2008, 6:32pm

Given it's date (1920), I'd say yes.

Friday, June 13th 2008, 6:32pm

Quoted

Now I might be wrong, but I never mentioned the Mainland US - Hawaii route. No mention of the Jones Act has ever been made in Wesworld so as far as I know it does not exist. Even if it does exist, it should be noted that it is not the idea to carry goods or passengers between United States ports (which is what it is about). That is something the US will have to do itself, not Japan.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, June 13th 2008, 8:39pm

I thought prior to signing Cleito the presumption was history occured about the same unless stated otherwise. Prior to Cleito the SIM was inactive, reports started in 1921 and then storylines...?

So, if I am not mixed up, and if the Jones act was 1920, shouldn't the presumption be that it would be in effect?

Friday, June 13th 2008, 9:20pm

Considering that the 1914-1921 US is reasonably different from the real world...

.. but why bother with figuring that out? It is 1936 after all and Hrolf's 1936 decision will (in my eyes) determine whether it exists or not (with the Merchant Marine Act of 1936).

But as a non-US citizen, I am not sure what to make of those two acts... arrogance of paranoia?

*runs away from angry US mob*

Friday, June 13th 2008, 9:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
But as a non-US citizen, I am not sure what to make of those two acts... arrogance of paranoia?

Protectionism and political vote-pandering, more like, though perhaps bordering on paranoia. Also, the US usually has had a very drastic case of "Not Built/Made Here."

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 12:24am

Le Havre Herald, 5 April 1936

SS Normandie departed New York today, on her return journey, and is expected to arrive in Le Havre on the 9th, with the Blue Riband for the Eastbound passage.

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 1:04am

New York Times, 5 April 1936

[SIZE=4]Transatlantic Race To Begin Today![/SIZE]

The chase for the coveted Blue Riband has begun
in earnest today with the noon departures of the
French liner SS Normandie and the White Star
Liner RMS Oceanic from Liner Row, with each
ship holding one leg of the crossing records.

Captain Edgar Trant of the Oceanic was
interviewed before sailing, and notably said
"The foremost responsability of any captain is
the safety of his ship and passengers, and
any talk of a competitive 'race' between our
ship and the Normandie is purely an
invention of the media; I intend to bring
my ship into Southampton on time, and without
incident. That we happen to be sailing on
the same day is nothing more than a scheduling
irregularity, and not a factor in how Oceanic
will be run."

Regardless, confidential sources from the White Star
Line's New York offices state they fully expect
Oceanic to retain her Blue Riband for the
Eastbound crossing.

This post has been edited 6 times, last edit by "ShinRa_Inc" (Jun 23rd 2008, 1:07am)