You are not logged in.

Friday, December 2nd 2005, 4:20pm

German events, Q1 1929

Germany events, Q1 1929

8 February, 1929 – the delegation for Germany’s observer mission to the Copenhagen talks has been set. Foreign Minister Stresseman, Chancellor Cuno, and President Braun, along with other members of the governing coalition, have all expressed their hope that one of the outcomes of these talks will be the ending of the Versailles Treaty’s limitations on German armament, and the re-admittance of Germany into the society of nations. It is widely assumed that the current government will fall if the Versailles Treaty is not lifted by its signatories, given the previous failure of the Frankfurt Accords. If the current government falls, it is might be replaced by a center-right coalition led by the DNVP’s Dr. Karl Jarres, though early elections are a distinct possibility as it is unclear whether the Catholic Center party of Chancellor Cuno would support an alliance with the DNVP. It is all but certain that one of the first acts of a Jarres government would be to renounce the Versailles Treaty’s restrictions on German armaments, though it is not expected that he would renounce other portions of the Treaty regarding borders laid down in the Treaty. The alternative to a Jarres government might be a new coalition, combining the SDP and the DNVP with another party or two, though this grand coalition is thought unlikely given the opposing platforms of the SPD and the DNVP, particularly in regards to the Treaty of Versailles.

March 30, 1929 – A small flotilla, though large by current Kriegsmarine standards, comprising Koln, Breslau, S-152, S-153, H-166, H-167, H-168, H-169 and the hired tanker SS Markheim, have set out from Wilhelmshaven, heading west through the English Channel for the Mediterranean Sea.

Sunday, December 4th 2005, 4:00am

MV Markheim? I doubt it - a diesel driven freighter at the time would surprise me. And the German term would be MS (Motorschiff) anyway ;)

But a lot of very nice political inisight :)

Monday, December 5th 2005, 2:48pm

Corrected....

Monday, December 5th 2005, 3:00pm

I've got to ask why this flotilla is going to the Med.

Monday, December 5th 2005, 3:13pm

Show the flag, see the sights, etc. We're certainly not looking for Harlock in the Med! :)

Monday, December 5th 2005, 4:51pm

You mean the crew of the Deathshadow aren't on vacation in Southern France? :)

Monday, December 5th 2005, 4:54pm

Wasn't that supposed to be a secret???
:-)

Monday, December 5th 2005, 4:54pm

Heh, well, if they are, it's no concern of Germany's. :)

Monday, December 5th 2005, 5:02pm

A ride for a friend at the end of the 999 express.

Harlock's keeping a low profile at the moment, but that doesn't mean they aren't enjoying themselves someplace in the world.

Monday, December 5th 2005, 5:09pm

So with parts of the Treaties being removed are applied German politics will alter to suit their new situation.

It will be interesting to see what a renewed Germany does in this Wesworld.

Monday, December 5th 2005, 5:27pm

Yep. Germany intends to be active on some fronts, less so on others, but there should be at least SOME interest in what Germany's up to for the foreseeable future, at least by European nations. Chile..... well, Chile's a LONG way from Germany so is probably less affected than many.

Friday, December 9th 2005, 7:13am

I'm sure I also speak for GC here as well:

Iberia cordially invites the Reichsmarine to visit some of it's ports and naval bases.

Friday, December 9th 2005, 7:47am

Speaking of Iberia... is CG finnished moving? If so when can we see some info on Iberia?

Monday, December 12th 2005, 4:00pm

well, latest news is that the pile in the living room has been diminished to a poit where they can see the kitchen door. Christmas at home has been cancelled, so I'd assume we can expect him back maybe end of Jan or so....