You are not logged in.

Thursday, September 11th 2008, 1:31pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
The DB 627 was the smallest of the bunch but still significantly longer and wider than the Merlin. I'm not sure how much power it produced but I think it was around 1700hp at altitude. The two stage arrangement is a bit complicated as the air intake is on the right hand side where it enters into one supercharger, then it passes out and underneath before entering the other supercharger on the left hand side, the exiting and entering the aftercooler mounted aft before turning again and running down in between the two banks of cylinders. For the Merlin, air enters underneath and smoothly bends round into the eye of the first supercharger, it then passes straight to the second before going upwards through the intercooler and then along between the cylinder banks.

It just illustrates the bulk of adding superchargers and intercoolers to an engine. I've got photos of a two-stage single turbo setup which is just massive.

Isn't Junkers working on the Jumo 213 as well or going with the longer term prospects of the 222? The BMW 802 isn't bad but the BMW803 is an extremely complicated engine of massive proportions.

As historical, Junkers Motoren is working on the Jumo-211E (the pressurized cooling loop version of the Jumo-211) and the Jumo-222 in parallel. Once the Jumo-211E is working (probably late 1936, early 1937), then the -211F will follow and the -213 will be developed from the -211E and -211F.

The BMW-803 is of limited interest, certainly: the thing is HUGE, and HEAVY. It could be interesting for certain particular purposes, but I've doubts I'll see a true use for it.

The -627, being based on the -603, would be a bit bigger than the Merlin, the -603 is a good deal bigger engine than the Merlin.