You are not logged in.

Sunday, August 19th 2007, 4:11am

Good news, bad news...

The good news is, I finally was able to snag my old Siamese, Brazilian and Filipino files off the old, dying Win95 machine (before dropping the format:c nuke on it for disposal. RIP.).

The bad news is, my new WinXP 'puter doesn't have a 3.5" floppy drive. :rolleyes:

So a run to the computer store will be necessary before I can resume full play, hopefully soon. USB is a wonderful thing...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Swamphen" (Aug 19th 2007, 4:11am)

Sunday, August 19th 2007, 4:16am

Don't ya just love Bill Gates right about now Swampy?

Sunday, August 19th 2007, 11:39pm

I have some more 5 1/4" disks for you, if you need them to transfer the files from your old machine *smile*

cockroach

Unregistered

Monday, August 20th 2007, 8:15am

RE: Good news, bad news...

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen
The good news is, I finally was able to snag my old Siamese, Brazilian and Filipino files off the old, dying Win95 machine (before dropping the format:c nuke on it for disposal. RIP.).

The bad news is, my new WinXP 'puter doesn't have a 3.5" floppy drive. :rolleyes:

So a run to the computer store will be necessary before I can resume full play, hopefully soon. USB is a wonderful thing...

Simple solution, Swampy: Transplant the hardrive.

Monday, August 20th 2007, 11:01pm

I agree. During the "upgrade" (*) of my computer, I noticed that there is lots of space inside the tower for additional HDs so as long as the HD works, it could easily be done.

(*) Looking at it from a Wesworld POV, the "upgrade" would fall into the "Total Reconstruction" category.

Friday, August 24th 2007, 3:22pm

Heh, given its relative age it may as well have one of those 8" floppy drives! :D

Transplanting hardware would be not of the good, for three reasons I can think of:

1. We cause technological disasters. Blacking out half of Orlando is our greatest achievement (so far). Killing computers? Piece o' cake.

2. The old computer had a rather bizzare fault. When you powered it on, it would start - and then, five or so seconds after pushing the power button, it would spool back down. Took it to the shop, they couldn't find the problem. Brought it home, it was working for a week or so - then started again. And this time it started trying to power itself back up 8o , spontainously starting up again (only to spool back down again) a minute or so later. (Once it may have even tried that without pushing the button first...) Took it back to the shop, still couldn't find the problem. They claimed it might be in the power cord. :rolleyes: Whatever the problem was it was probably nothing to do with the harddrive, but I'd be skittish given our history with technology. ("I've never seen/heard anything like that before!!")

3. The required data having been placed on floppies, the format:c bomb has already been dropped on the old computer, thus allowing it to be shipped off to the thrift store for some other suckergeek to pull their hair out overacquire for whatever purpose. :evil:

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:35am

Back from the week's 'vacation' (unfortunatly marred slightly by another eruption of Mt. Sinus...) and have, at long last, secured all the old data onto the new computer.

Now to go through it 8o and recalibrate to start producing reports again...

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:43am

Alergy season swampy?

Monday, September 10th 2007, 3:47am

Actually I think this one was a bug. Thankfully it didn't hit a day later!