You are not logged in.

Friday, September 8th 2006, 10:58pm

I've been fencing...

for frighteningly close to 30 years. I have never seen a serious injury.

Quoted

I did the math once and the kinetic energy from two professional football player hitting each other at full speed is equal to a sub-compact hitting a brick wall at about 30 km/h. The pads don't dull the pain and they certainly don't stop serious injuries (which I note soccer has a distinct lack of), they just keep players from killing each other.

Friday, September 8th 2006, 11:02pm

I wish I could say that about the length of time I have between injuries playing football as an amateur

Friday, September 8th 2006, 11:19pm

Fencing. I've caused some pain with sabre and flicks to the elbow but that not really serious. Made one of my friends bleed after hitting the pommel after a lunge. More serious injury, at a fencing competition earlier this year when one guy got a sabre stuck about an inch into his guard hand - i've no idea how.

With American football, simply don't run straight into each other. If you want to floor someone, go for the legs. Only injuries from rugby are from being stood on. The things about American football; tackling off the ball, and throwing the ball forwards - what on earth are you thinking?

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 12:30am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
With American football, simply don't run straight into each other. If you want to floor someone, go for the legs. Only injuries from rugby are from being stood on. The things about American football; tackling off the ball, and throwing the ball forwards - what on earth are you thinking?

Hits are rarely head on, but they're still as vicious as all hell. Except in very rare circumstances, like blown coverage or a lack of containment in the running lanes, players don't go untouched. And it's not tackling, what you're talking about is called blocking and it's designed to keep the defensive players from taking the ball carrier's head off. As for throwing the ball, the whole object of the game is to advance the ball pass the goal line, thus passing.

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 1:07am

I would suggest finding a recording of George Carlin describing football in relation to baseball to truly understand the game.

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 1:10am

Question from the ignorant: which is closer to actual war-like tactics, Rugby or American Football. I wouldn't classify Soccer in the same grouping as the style of play is different.

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 3:14am

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro
Question from the ignorant: which is closer to actual war-like tactics, Rugby or American Football. I wouldn't classify Soccer in the same grouping as the style of play is different.

Couldn't say as I don't know much about Rugby. However, American Football (the standard 11-man and 8-man versions) can be best described as chess played with real people. In terms of objectives and the advancement of lines, American Football is very war-like.

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 5:08am

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD
I would suggest finding a recording of George Carlin describing football in relation to baseball to truly understand the game.

I have that somewhere on the computer... Heh.

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 11:22am

Quoted

which is closer to actual war-like tactics, Rugby or American Football. I wouldn't classify Soccer in the same grouping as the style of play is different.

A few moves from rugby were banned to make things a bit safer. Now you simply can't charge at the enemy from a penalty at 5m. Rugby is about getting tackled, then offloading the ball to the outside man who runs free without opposition. There isn't any room for individuals in rugby.

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 11:34am

There is no "I" in "team"!!

..but there is an "M" and an "E"

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 12:06pm

Quoted

There is no "I" in "team"!!

Quoted

...but there is an "M" and an "E"

I bet you said that in traing one day and got told - WES! - FIVE LAPS OF THE GROUND.

AIGF.

Hockey - I'm still trying to figure how people get punched behind play? Like you got a stick - wtf is the punching for?

If you want nasty - play lacrosse.

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 12:09pm

Quoted

A few moves from rugby were banned to make things a bit safer.

Yeah but they had to do that in cricket too.

Cheers,

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 1:02pm

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval

Quoted

A few moves from rugby were banned to make things a bit safer.

Yeah but they had to do that in cricket too.

Cheers,

I get the impression that those changes are made to make things a bit safer for the ego of the batsmen and allowing them to score more runs.
:-)

Edit: forgot one thing!

[SIZE=4]NO HAIR ON THE PITCHES!!![/SIZE]

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 6:16pm

Quoted

Edit: forgot one thing!

[SIZE=4]NO HAIR ON THE PITCHES!!![/SIZE]

So they're all black holes ?

Saturday, September 9th 2006, 8:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval Hockey - I'm still trying to figure how people get punched behind play? Like you got a stick - wtf is the punching for?

Its not like that hasn't happened before, like when Mcsorley swung his stick at the head of Donald Brashear....and connected or when a frustrated player smashed his stick down on the boards only to hear his coach screaming in agony because his hand was in the way. Occationaly you get neandertals on skates who finnaly discover a hockey stick...

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval If you want nasty - play lacrosse.

Hockey with less equipment and more golf swings.

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 10:22am

Quoted

So they're all black holes ?

I wish they were so they could suck the umpires right in.
The English here on the board will probably know that I am referring to Umpire Darrell Hair... But since this is a Football thread, I won't go on about that.

Quoted

Occationaly you get neandertals on skates who finnaly discover a hockey stick...

A miracle they know how to move on the ice. :-)

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 10:27am

The sad thing is there are hundreds of very skilled players that don't make the cut in the NHL, I'd like to possess half their skill when playing casual pickup Hockey....

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 8:35pm

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval
If you want nasty - play lacrosse.

It's got nothing on Hurling,(Duck now!) , and to get an American opinion on it, we have only to look to The Duke himself, who when in Ireland for the filming of "The Quiet Man" was invited to view the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final, and asked at half time if he would like to be down on the pitch with a hurley (stick). He answered "Well Sir, I sure wouldn't want to be down there WITHOUT one!!"

P.S. Anyone coming to Ireland during the season, let me know and we can organise tickets so you too can get The Duke's point of view!!

Tuesday, September 12th 2006, 1:16am

Quoted

I get the impression that those changes are made to make things a bit safer for the ego of the batsmen and allowing them to score more runs.

I think it was a visiting Indian team using the same play that prompted the English to decide that it wasn't cricket.

Cheers,