You are not logged in.

Tuesday, November 8th 2005, 3:33pm

Torpedo Bulkheads

Is there a rule of thumb on how broad the ship should be before a torpedo bulkhead can be usefully added? If so, should that rule of thumb be added to the Design Rules for Gentlemen?

Tuesday, November 8th 2005, 3:45pm

I've seen it suggested that it's pointless or impractical if the ship's beam is less than ~75-80 feet. The smallest vessel I'm contemplating it for is a carrier in the 16,000 t range, primarily because I'm working with a short and beamy design rather than a long and lean design.

I don't think this is something I'd want to have solidified as a rule, though, provided the presence or absence of the TBS is accounted for in any situation that is gamed or scripted out.

Tuesday, November 8th 2005, 4:58pm

The rule of thumb is not to use a TBS on a beam less than 80' (~25m).

Also, I remember determining that a bulge (if you take that route) should be roughly 14% of the non-bulged beam. (I.E. a ship with 80' beam inside bulges would be 91.2' outside them.)

Tuesday, November 8th 2005, 5:25pm

Should this be put in the Design Rules for Gentlemen so new players don't have to ask the question?

The 14% rule makes sense if you're using the bulge as an anti-torpedo defence, less so if that's not it's purpose.

Oh, well, so much for that torpedo bulkhead on my CAs. A pity, but so be it.

Tuesday, November 8th 2005, 5:39pm

Emphasis on 'rule of thumb', I believe. One could put a torpedo bulkhead on a cruiser, but it doesn't tend to do much good. If your hullform suits it, I'd say to go ahead.

RLBH

Tuesday, November 8th 2005, 5:52pm

<chuckle> For those of us who are not naval architects by trade, what sort of a hull-form would be suitable?

Tuesday, November 8th 2005, 6:08pm

One that is as beamy and full as possible. Both of which have negative effects on other cruiser qualities.

Tuesday, November 8th 2005, 11:43pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
<chuckle> For those of us who are not naval architects by trade, what sort of a hull-form would be suitable?

What Red Admiral said.

You don't seriously think I'm in that business. No, I'm a humble pool attendant and student, I'm afraid.

RLBH