You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 1:26am

Canadian Aerospace 1942

New offerings from Canada, Eh.

[SIZE=3]De Havilland Canada CF-14 "Monarch"[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Crew: 1
- Length: 22.4 ft
- Wingspan: 21 ft
- Height: 12 ft
- Wing area: 135 ft²
- Empty weight: 4,750 lbs
- Loaded weight: 6,500 lbs
- Powerplant: Orenda Oneida II (1750hp)
- Armament: 4x12.7mm MG (nose), 100 pound payload
- Armour: 6mm Backplate for Pilot

Performance
- Maximum speed: 435 mph @ 25,000 feet
- Max Range: 750 mi
- Service ceiling: 37,500 ft
- Rate of Climb: 4,134 ft/min

Developed from work conducted by Miles Aircraft in Britain and Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation in Australia, through CADRE. Option packages include airship trapeeze rig and strenthened landing gear for carrier operations. Intended to replace the CF-8 "Archeopteryx" fighter for airship operations, and being evaluated for carrier duty.

[SIZE=3]Avro Canada CF-10 "Hammerhead"[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Length: 35.25 ft
- Wingspan: 40 ft
- Height: 12 ft
- Wing area: 262 ft²
- Empty weight: 10,310 lbs
- Loaded weight: 14,000 lbs
- Powerplant: Orenda Onondaga II (3000hp)
- Armament: 4x20mm cannon (nose), 2,000 pound payload
- Armour: 8mm Backplate for Pilot, self-sealing fuel tanks

Performance
- Maximum speed: 462 mph
- Max Range: 748 mi
- Service ceiling: 33,650 ft
- Rate of Climb: 2,618 ft/min

Advanced air superiority fighter design in development since 1939, based on principles and experience with the similar XCF-9 and CF-12 types.

[SIZE=3]Canadian Car & Foundry CF-15 "Frisbee"[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Length: 28.6 ft
- Wingspan: 32.5 ft
- Height: 14.75 ft
- Wing area: 475 ft²
- Empty weight: 13,107 lbs
- Loaded weight: 16,722 lbs
- Powerplant: 2xPratt & Whitney Canada R-2000-7 radial engine, (1,370hp)
- Armament: 4x20mm cannon (nose), 2,000 pound payload

Performance
- Maximum speed: 425 mph
- Max Range: 1,064 mi
- Service ceiling: 34,492 ft
- Rate of Climb: 3,000 ft/min

Evolution of the "Zimmer-Skimmer" type, a much enlarged development of the CF-175 intended as a carrier fighter-bomber.

[SIZE=3]Canadian Vickers CB-18 "Sledgehammer"[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Crew: 2
- Length: 40 ft
- Wingspan: 50 ft
- Height: 15 ft
- Wing area: 320 ft²
- Empty weight: 9,871 lbs
- Loaded weight: 15,500 lbs
- Powerplant: Orenda Oneida II (1750hp)
- Armament: 1x12.7mm MG (nose), 2x12.7mm MG (Dorsal turret), 2,500 pounds of bombs or Torpedo
- Armour: 8mm Backplate for Pilot, self-sealing fuel tanks

Performance
- Maximum speed: 295 mph
- Max Range: 1,264 mi
- Service ceiling: 25,500 ft
- Rate of Climb: 1,578 ft/min

Carrier dive and torpedo bomber, developed through CADRE from the Supermarine Type 322 testbed, the CB-18 features a variable-incidence wing to increase flexability in carrier operations. Intended to replace CB-6 "Pterosaurs" in RCNAS service.

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 2:08am

Comments and observations:

De Havilland Canada CF-14 "Monarch"

I have my doubts about the stated service ceiling of this design, particularly for our period. 37,000 feet is at the edge of the stratosphere, and I have reservations whether a piston engine would operate at such altitudes. The climb rate is also very surprising – are there historical comparisons for an aircraft of similar weight/horsepower? Beyond that, other than the rather odd configuration of tailplane and canards, I don’t find anything totally improbable.

Avro Canada CF-10 "Hammerhead"

My first reaction to this design is how is the pilot supposed to see how to land it? The forward view from the cockpit is obscured by the forward fuselage and the situation would, I think, be made worse by the forward canards. However, I realize that such concerns can be overcome, and the design is reminiscent of the The Kykshk J7W1 Shinden. Assuming that the engine could be made to develop that much horsepower, and the structure of the aircraft absorb it, the performance figures do not look impossible, merely at the high end of the spectrum.

Canadian Car & Foundry CF-15 "Frisbee"

Given the projected performance figures for the historical Vought XF5U, the performance figures cited here are within reason; however, the question remains whether such an unconventional aircraft could actually attain the performance in service. As the XF5U never flew, the question will remain unanswered. Certainly the earlier V-173 proved that such a design could fly but I remain unconvinced that this configuration is reasonable for the time.

Canadian Vickers CB-18 "Sledgehammer"

I think that the performance of this design is still at the extreme optimistic end of the spectrum. Taking the Supermarine Type 322 as an real-world comparison, this aircraft is heavier and suffers from the drag of the turret – supposedly has a higher top speed – 295 mph vice the Type 322’s 279 mph. Even with a marginal increase in available horsepower, I have difficulty accepting that speed. Moreover, the loaded weight of the CB-18 is more than 3,000 pounds more than that of the Type 322 – does this represent fuel load to account for the CF-18’s far longer range? Or is it structure, taking into account the turret and other defensive armament, and a heavier payload?