You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 4:27am

Nordmark Diplomacy

As part of my ongoing effort to get caught up on Nordish affairs, I'm trying to get a handle on how they get along with their neighbors, and what history lies between them.

Accordingly, I'm wondering if people'd be willing to speak up here with their own accounts for their nations' interactions with Nordmark. I'm particularly interested in hearing from adjacent players - Russia, Poland, Germany, Britain, Ireland, Canada, and especially Denmark - but any input is helpful.

Thanks!
Carnival da yo~!

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 4:38am

Ireland: Ambivalent. As long as they stay in the North Sea and Baltic Sea, they might as well be on the other side of the world.

France: Ambivalent. Nordmark's got some nice things going for it - Swedish iron ore and a large merchant fleet - but from the French point of view, they're a hopped-up minor power

Chile: Friendly. Nordmark's been a traditional military supplier, although that's slowed substantially in recent years. (OOC: this is because of the inactivity of past Nordish players in general and the presence of more active European partners, not anything IC substantial.)

Bulgaria: Ambivalent. Bulgaria has no substantial dealings with Nordmark aside from the exchange of embassies and minor sorts of trade.

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 4:59am

Greece: Who?

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 7:29am

Brazil: It depends on what direction relations with the SAE go. From what I have gathered (and more experienced hands please correct me if I a wrong), Nordmark has been close with the SAE in the past. Given that Brazil and the SAE dont like each other very much, this is problematic. As it stands now, things would be rather cold given the support that Nordmark has given the SAE in the past. Baring a major shift in policy, I dont really think that things would thaw out at all.

Thailand: Who? Ah, they are near the Danes. Wonder what they have to say about them?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 12:25pm

Russia

Nordmark-Russia relations have been uneventful. While not coordinated, their mutual efforts re: the Lithuanian Crisis seem to have worked effectively.

Up to this point, the bottom line for both governments seems to have been "Lets keep things quiet, because we each have bigger problems/opportunities elsewhere."

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 2:40pm

Relations between Germany and Nordmark are rather complex.

There are two treaties in force at the present time:
a Non Aggression Pact as well as a Mutual Defense Treaty ; the first was written by a prior Nordish player and the second by a prior German player. Though it is not in the treaty text, the UK is, apparently, a party to the second treaty.

The two treaties differ on important points, and in the past I have tried to interest the Nordish players in resolving them, without success.

Pragmatically, Germany and Nordmark have strong trade ties and it would not be in the interest of either to upset that. Germany is concerned about the much talked-about ties between Nordmark and the SAE - given SAE bellicosity vis-a-vis South America, Nordish support of SAE adventurism there would be a threat to Germany's growing interests in that region.

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 2:45pm

I'm unaware of any specific dealings between Nordmark and Peru. This is probably also true of Persia and Hedjaz.

Bharat/Nordmark relations have long been neutral. For a while, Bharat's anti-colonial mindset meant that it was a bit grumpy about how Nordmark treated Argentina post-1921. However, it is likely that any sympathy for Argentina evaporated during the South American War of the mid-thirties, given that Bharat and Nordmark's mutual long-term ally, South Africa, was on the other side of that conflict.

What Nordmark thinks of Bharat is of course a whole different matter.

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 3:24pm

Great Britain - fairly warm relations, I think since the Great War, certainly the 1920s brought about economic interaction. GB sold some South Atlantic Islands (South Shetland I think) in 1922. So that would indicate a level of long-term peaceful and stable relations before we joined the Mutual Defence Treaty with Nordmark and Germany (partly to form a bloc to dominate the North Sea, partly to tie Germany up so she could never again rampage across Europe with a free hand and partly becuase both nations pose perhaps the biggest trade competition in Europe so we like to keep close). Attempts to widen the economic links founded when Earl briefly came back. The potential is there to form a huge trading bloc that would dominate Europe but PETA gets in the way.

Argentina - One war in the 1920s and volunteer help during the SA War and the use of Nordish B-17 bombers against Argentina in the same war equals fairly cool relations. Saying that before the war some attempt was made by Nordmark to invest in Argentina (one rail line and a couple of other minor projects) but the SA War killed all progress dead. Not public enemy one but perhaps public enemy number three.

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 3:30pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Not public enemy one but perhaps public enemy number three.

Public enemy number one is obvious, but who's number two? :P

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 3:42pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood

Attempts to widen the economic links founded when Earl briefly came back. The potential is there to form a huge trading bloc that would dominate Europe but PETA gets in the way.

Gee, that's not quite the way I remember it. Germany was ready to propose Nordmark for PETA membership when Earl had to depart; and Britain chose not to ditch the Commonwealth for PETA.

My memory must be fading. :rolleyes:

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 4:08pm

I think we covered pretty much the entire history of Nord-Canadian relations last night on IRC. If you have further questions, let me know.

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 4:29pm

Yeah Germany backed the PETA but I did mention perhaps more economic agreements between us but you and Earl felt that PETA offered the better choice.

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 6:48pm

Nordmarkian relations......

Denmark - salient points
-Some sabre rattling in the 1920's which caused Iberia and Italy to send units to Denmark as a trip-line.
-Denmark was on high alert when the assassination of the Nordmarkian Royal Family happened, due to fear of being blamed (see above).
-Denmark as a result doesn't "trust" Nordmark, and have instigated the Octopus and Erilaz programs to aid in it's defence.

Iberia - With the exception of the 1920's Denmark incident, Iberia's dealing with Nordmark would be neutral

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Mar 8th 2012, 6:51pm)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, March 9th 2012, 2:05am

Belgium/Lux/Saud/Yemen - Neutral, little interaction.

Netherlands &Kongo : Reasonable relations. Like Nordmark, both have very close ties to SAE.

Around 1934 the Land administration received some feelers from two nations about leaving AANM (which then featured Mussolini's Italy) and joining a new Alliance with SAE and Nordmark in one case and Germany, Nordmark and the UK- that mutual defense treaty Duncan talked about. In neither case did the Dutch and Nordmark players actually start talking about it. As it happened, SATSUMA left Clieto, the nice & gentle Land admin was voted out, and the pro-Italian militaristic semi-fascist DMZSPD took power and would not abandon AANM, so those talks were discontinued.

The Netherlands and Kongo rather strongly supported SAE in the South American war, which should be popular with the Nordmark populance.

Beyond that, and permission for various weapons, participation in various royal reviews...basically no interaction.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Mar 9th 2012, 2:09am)

Friday, March 9th 2012, 3:31am

United States of America - mixed ambivalence. The official line taken by the Wilkie Administration is that America desires peace but shall not abandon her international committments.

Romania - ambivalent

Friday, March 9th 2012, 7:34pm

All right, that covers most of the ground I needed.

But what do PETA and SAE stand for?
Carnival da yo~!

Friday, March 9th 2012, 7:37pm

SAE is South Africa(n Empire)

PETA is some sort of European trade bloc.

Friday, March 9th 2012, 7:52pm

People Eat Tasty Animals :p

Australia is too far away to care thought would probably support Canada in any conflict.

Mexico has purchased ships from Nordmark in the past, though Nordish involvement in the South American War soured relations a little bit. However, Mexican relations with the SAE have improved quite a bit while relations with Canada and Chile have gone down, so Mexico could be looking to improve relations with Nordmark, plus I have lots of cheap oil to sell.

Friday, March 9th 2012, 8:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
...while relations with Canada and Chile have gone down...

Not really that much. Relations aren't warm, but neither are they strained.