You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, February 27th 2012, 6:32pm

A tour de force of drawing skill, but impractical from a design point of view. :(

Monday, February 27th 2012, 6:35pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
A tour de force of drawing skill, but impractical from a design point of view. :(

Thankyou! It's a real design with just some own details..

Monday, February 27th 2012, 6:54pm

Excellent drawing of an (IMHO) ugly ship!

Monday, February 27th 2012, 9:42pm

So Gibbs and Cox, unable to sell it to the Soviets, manage to convince the USN to build it!

Monday, February 27th 2012, 11:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by eltf177
So Gibbs and Cox, unable to sell it to the Soviets, manage to convince the USN to build it!

And you have to wonder about the design philosophy that puts a couple of seaplane catapults on the stern of what is essentially an aircraft carrier.....

Monday, February 27th 2012, 11:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

And you have to wonder about the design philosophy that puts a couple of seaplane catapults on the stern of what is essentially an aircraft carrier.....

You noticed that too, huh? :P

Monday, February 27th 2012, 11:25pm

Quoted

Quoted

The USN carriers had hangar-deck cross-deck catapults for the same general concept; Launching and recovering scouts without disrupting flight deck operations.

Said operational concept was never really put into routine practice, tho.

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 11:34am

Quoted

They were on the original design, and never made a whole lot of sense to me either. The only thing that made sense was this allowed you to launch search aircraft that didn't reduce the number of strike aircraft.

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 2:18pm

I must know more about this design...

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 3:25pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor

Basically, it's a design that Gibbs and Cox pitched to the Soviets in the 1930s. The Soviets, showing unusual wisdom and intelligence for communists, declined, citing cost and the extremely poor probable results of mixing a battleship intended to be shot at with an explosive floating airfield.

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 5:07pm

I guess Mexico would love to have a ship like that and I guess Iberia would love to shoot at it. :)

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 5:56pm

Quoted

There are 3 or 4 designs of the concept floated, this one being the largest with 12 16" guns, 32 knots, and coming in around 74,000 tons.

I'm fairy sure there's discussion about it over on WPDB somewhere.

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 8:36pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Basically, it's a design that Gibbs and Cox pitched to the Soviets in the 1930s. The Soviets, showing unusual wisdom and intelligence for communists, declined, citing cost and the extremely poor probable results of mixing a battleship intended to be shot at with an explosive floating airfield.

Another problem was that these designs were in violation of the Washington Tready as they vastly exceeded 35,000 tons. Thus the US government refused to allow such treaty breakers to be built.

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 9:10pm

8o

Wow, now thats an LPH!