You are not logged in.

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 1:57pm

Philippine Army Equipment

The existing Philippine encyclopedia is thin on details of the equipment used by the Philippine Army, and trolling the archives has thus far turned up few leads. So I must ask if anyone might recall prior posts or conversations where this subject may have come up? If so, could you point me to it or let me know what might have been shared with you?

From what I have found, and from my own personal preferences, I have come up with a short list of small arms for starters; I have found leads for artillery but need to track them down before discussing them further.

My ideas so far:

Pistol: Colt M1911 in .45cal
Submachinegun: Thompson M1928 in .45cal (found some reference to this in Land Equipment)

Rifle: Mauser 98k - in 8mm Mauser
Light Machinegun: ZB26 in 8mm Mauser
Medium Machinegun: ZB37 in 8mm Mauser
Light Mortar: Hotchkiss-Brandt m35 in 60mm
Medium Mortar: Hotchkiss-Brandt m31 in 81mm

If anyone sees issues with this, please share your view. Before I can decide which direction to go in the future, I need to establish where I am.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 3:32pm

Why the Mauser rather than the Springfield M1903, and the ZB37 rather than the BAR? American-sourced small arms seem more likely given the Filipino-American relationship in the past (SATSUMA notwithstanding).

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 3:47pm

There has been a considerable trade with Czechoslovakia too, especially Skoda, over the years.

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 3:54pm

True, but the Philippines existed as a nation before Czechoslovakia came into being; so they'd have needed another supplier at nation start. I'd have expected the initial Filipino small arms being ex-Iberian war captures, replaced by American arms and then a smattering of Czech stuff in the late 20s and 30s. Just my two cents, of course.

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 4:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
True, but the Philippines existed as a nation before Czechoslovakia came into being; so they'd have needed another supplier at nation start. I'd have expected the initial Filipino small arms being ex-Iberian war captures, replaced by American arms and then a smattering of Czech stuff in the late 20s and 30s. Just my two cents, of course.

"Iberian war captures" would have been Mausers in 7mm Spanish (or Iberian), I suppose. That whole chapter in Philippine history is very confusing. Some stuff I've read suggests that Denmark played a surprisingly prominent role in the Philippines' transition to independence. Or maybe that was retcon'd at some point.

In any event, I was hoping to jog anyone's memories of specific pronouncements of prior Philippines' procurement.

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 4:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
Some stuff I've read suggests that Denmark played a surprisingly prominent role in the Philippines' transition to independence. Or maybe that was retcon'd at some point.

I've... never heard of that. Odd, though I suspect Mac can confirm or deny that for you.

This thread did seem to have some information on the Iberian-American War together with Filipino independence. I'm not certain, though, if this was just a proposed outline or the canon story.

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 4:19pm

Well, I found it in this thread, which appears ancient and of uncertain (in my mind) validity.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Philippines has had an uneven historical development. ?(

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 4:24pm

Quoted

Well, I found it in this thread, which appears ancient and of uncertain (in my mind) validity.

Hum! Interesting...

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 4:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Hum! Interesting...

Now you see my quandry.

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 4:32pm

I think Brock's link is the correct one. It fits in with the general history of WW, while the other I think was just an idea being floated around at the beginning of the sim.

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 4:38pm

Yes. That thread fit with what was presented to me as the "common knowledge" of Wesworld history: the US did not / could not decisively beat Iberia but did assure Filipino independence. Still, worth confirming.