You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, January 6th 2012, 11:28pm

HMS Hood

HMS Hood as she appeared on the fateful day in May 1941.

Friday, January 6th 2012, 11:34pm

Ah, now that looks splendid indeed. One of my favorite ships... though I'd swear from the photos that there was more sheer forward. Maybe that's just an optical illusion.

Friday, January 6th 2012, 11:39pm

Nice work Hood!

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 12:48am

Indeed she looks splendid James, well done!

HMS Hood has always been my favorite warship, shame she never got the refit she deserved. She would have been a far more usefull ship than rebuilt QE's.

Speaking of refits, any chance you have refit pictures drawn up or any plans to do so?

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 3:18am

WW Hood's already had her refit; she got it around when R&R did, due to the pile-up I arranged in one of the Fleet Problems.

Or are you referring to some of the more historical proposals?

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 3:44am

Excellent self-portrait!

Strangely, it took me a long time to appreciate this ship's looks. For the longest time I thought she was kinda ugly.

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 7:12am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
WW Hood's already had her refit; she got it around when R&R did, due to the pile-up I arranged in one of the Fleet Problems.

Or are you referring to some of the more historical proposals?

I was talking the historical preposals.

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 5:16pm

Awesome !!!!

Monday, January 9th 2012, 10:58pm

I have now upgraded the drawing and added a few bits and made a couple of alterations.

I am currently drawing Hood as completed in 1920 and then I'll attempt a refit drawing. Lastly I will redraw my WW refit too!

Monday, January 9th 2012, 11:02pm

I'll look forward to that! :)

exigeant

Unregistered

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 8:43pm

Excellent drawing, I look forward to the new versions.
Afraid I am with the Rock Doctor, except I still find it not an attractive ship, I have read on another forum that her cancelled sisters would have been marginally better looking, but as always beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 8:46pm

Quoted

Originally posted by exigeant
I have read on another forum that her cancelled sisters would have been marginally better looking, but as always beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

As I understand it, the following Admirals would have a slightly altered armour scheme, and the aft mast was just aft of the second funnel, rather than being separated by the boats. Think there were some other tweaks there, as well.

exigeant

Unregistered

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 9:26pm

Indeed, they were called 3/4 sisters :]
As I have read the visual changes were to move the funnels closer together, the main mast was moved to the funnel, the gap between foremast and funnels increased, the bridge and fighting top lowered, and an increase in the flare at the bow, all of which i believe improved the appearance.
The armour scheme called for a reduction of the main belt and barbette thickness and an increase in horizontal armour over magazines and machinery spaces.

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 9:34pm

Quoted

Originally posted by exigeant
...all of which i believe improved the appearance.

Hm... perhaps it would.

Saturday, January 21st 2012, 1:30pm

HMS Hood as completed in 1920. The aircraft are the Fariey Flycatcher.

Saturday, January 21st 2012, 11:18pm

Absolutely awesome drawing!

Sunday, January 22nd 2012, 12:28pm

The unbuilt Admiral Class sisters of Hood. Changes include increase bow flare, extra foretop space, forward funnel moved further aft and the mainmast stepped by the after funnel.

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 10:29am

......see my last comment....lol

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 6:03pm

Weren't the later Admirals supposed to have the additional 5.5" guns in the aft deckhouse that didn't make it aboard Hood?

exigeant

Unregistered

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 2:33pm

thanks for the nice drawing of the follow on admirals, think it is visually better than the original.
from what i have read online and in books, both the hood and the follow ons had the planned 16 x 5,5 inch mounts reduced to only 12 mounts