You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, July 16th 2004, 3:00pm

The Beer Hall Putsch, 8 - 11 Nov, 1923

8 November 1923

There are reports of a disturbance in Munich, where Bavarian leader Gustav von Kahr is delivering a speech to local industrialists and government officials. Witnesses say several dozen men, apparently members of the NSDAP, surrounded the building where the address was to take place, then entered it. At least one gunshot has been heard.

9 November 1923

It appears that Munich is the scene of the latest putsch to be attempted against the Weimar Republic.

It has been confirmed that approximately ninety members of the NSDAP, lead by party leader Adolf Hitler, barricaded themselves into a beer hall after taking state commissioner von Kahr prisoner. The senior army and police commanders in Bavaria are also thought to be inside the hall. Munich police have surrounded the establishment but are keeping their distance, as a number of those inside are armed members of the SA, the party’s paramilitary arm.

A number of patrons who were in the beer hall have since been released, and reported that Herr Hitler has declared a start to a revolution aimed at overthrowing, “the November Criminals”. Hitler further claimed that Commissioner von Kahr, General von Lossow, and Col. Von Seisser are engaged in a strategy session with him, rather than being prisoners, but no independent confirmation is possible at this time.

The witnesses also reported that Herr Hitler claimed to have taken control of a number of government buildings around the city. The Observative has since learned that only one, the army headquarters, has actually been occupied at this time. Attempts to occupy the nearby barracks have failed dismally as soldiers there await orders from the proper chain of command.

Chancellor Wilhelm Cuno expressed optimism that the stand-offs could be resolved peacefully. “Mr. Hitler is entitled to express his opinions, but I urge him not to resort to violence. I ask that he contact the senior police officer present to discuss how the situation can come to a quiet conclusion.”

10 November 1923

While Adolf Hitler and his supporters remained holed up in a tavern, NSDAP supporters occupying the army headquarters fled under cover of darkness last night. Two policemen were overwhelmed during the break-out and sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries at the hands of the SA thugs.

Police officials are continuing to attempt to negotiate an end to the NSDAP occupation of the building, which is now into its third day. One source told the Observative, "We're not getting very far. He [Hitler] is attempting to negotiate our surrender, rather than his, and frankly, he sounds quite tired."

Elsewhere, the last of several small groups of Hitler supporters have been rounded up and jailed after sporadic acts of violence and vandalism against Jews and other residents of the city.

11 November 1923

The Munich Putsch has concluded on a tragic note.

At approximately four this morning, gunshots were heard within the beer hall where Adolf Hitler and his supporters had been surrounded for over three days. Soon afterward, a number of clearly dejected, exhausted NSDAP members left the hall and surrendered to police.

Upon securing the hall, police discovered the bodies of Adolf Hitler and General Otto von Lossow in a back room. Commisioner von Kahr was taken to a nearby hospital but pronounced dead upon arrival. Meanwhile, police commandant Col. Hans von Seisser was helped from the hall, having sustained a gunshot wound to his left knee. Before being taken to hospital, Col. Seisser told a small crowd of reporters, police officers, and onlookers:

“Herr Hitler attempted to coerce Commissioner Kahr, General Lossow, and myself into supporting his revolution, threatening to kill us all and then himself if we did not cooperate. The three of us did not give in, however, and Mr. Hitler became increasingly agitated. He was also frustrated that somebody - he never did say who - wasn't present to help him, and he seemed not to be sleeping a great deal.

“This morning, when Commissioner Kahr yet again refused to join him, Hitler lost his temper and shot him in the face. General Lossow and I attempted to subdue him, but he shot the general, who fell onto him and pinned him to the floor. I went to kick the gun from his hand but he shot my leg out from under me and then quickly shot himself. As the man said, he had a bullet for each of us, and one for himself.”

All three of the deceased were transported to the city mortuary pending their release to family.

Friday, July 16th 2004, 3:11pm

Footnotes

Speaking out of character, I had intended to write the Putsch up as a much larger, violent event. It seemed like more fun.

However, three factors came into play since I had that thought:

1) Economic conditions are better than they were historically. Reforms have started almost a year earlier than they actually did.

2) Due to some timely loan assistance, Germany managed to pay its 1923 reparations, preventing France (and Belgium) from invading as they did historically. Combined with point one, there's probably less support for the Nazis at this time than historical.

3) General Erich Ludendorff is in prison for a short stretch, as a result of mischief in 1922. Historically, Ludendorff took part in the putsch and appeared to secure Kahr's, Lossow's and Seisser's cooperation (they promptly took off at the first chance and put the putsch down). He also gave Hitler the idea of marching into the city center on the 9th, which he incorrectly hoped would break the police lines.

This being the case, I decided that Hitler would get holed up, run out of ideas quickly, and make good on the threat he uttered to the three Bavarian officials when he first took them prisoner.

Friday, July 16th 2004, 5:33pm

Well, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Perhaps someone more evil than Hitler will rise to power... somewhere...
In the meantime, using hindsight, it was probably a good thing.
Nice article.

Friday, July 16th 2004, 5:41pm

Good question. It might be answered if/when the NSDAP gains a new leader.

Friday, July 16th 2004, 8:02pm

If things are "on the up" in relation to the econemy and standard of living, it will be increasingly difficult for a group to gain popular support when their aim is to turn the country on it's head!!

However, I know a lot of Sci-Fi stories where a change in the time line has had untold results.......we can only wait and see!

Friday, July 16th 2004, 8:18pm

Agreed - which is why the Putsch has fizzled out worse than historical. It didn't exactly do well in the first place.

The onus remains on the German government to be responsible for the wellness of the people - something which didn't seem to factor into their mindsight historically, but is perhaps sinking in here. If they fail in this, the NSDAP or some other bunch might yet get another chance to overthrow democracy.

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 1:55am

Well from here on in, German events can slowly take a drastic turn from the historical time line. Very interesting story.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 2:43am

Beerhall...

It´s interesting to read an alternate history like this. Especially because I´m german. Let´s see what you´ll make of it...

Keep it coming,

HoOmAn

Monday, July 19th 2004, 2:32pm

Quoted

Well from here on in, German events can slowly take a drastic turn from the historical time line.

Yes, they can. Or, they can converge back toward somewhat similar to history. Hitler's death doesn't guarantee that Germany will be a happy place later on - just makes it more likely, perhaps.

Now I have to sort out the 1924 Reichstag election results, and start thinking about the 1925 presidential election...