You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, October 29th 2011, 12:10pm

Vickers-Supermarine Presents...

... the optimum solution for conversion training and fighter combat training.
The new Vickers-Supermarine Spitfire Trainer

Developed as a private-venture during 1941 as a conversion-trainer and advanced fighter combat trainer, the Spitfire Trainer is based on the standard Mark IV but the forward cockpit is moved forwards and a second cockpit with a bubble canopy installed in the rear fuselage.
The Trainer is offered with three wings;
A unarmed
B two .303in machine-guns and one gun camera
C the standard fighter wing with two 20mm cannon and four .303in machine-guns.
There is a choice between the 1,185hp Merlin V or the 1,650hp Merlin VII.

Specifications:
Spitfire Trainer; 36.10/31.1/12.7/242 sq ft; with 1x 1,650hp Merlin VII (new two speed supercharger); max speed 408mph at 25,000ft; time to 20,000ft 5.7 min, range 470 miles and service ceiling 43,000ft. With 1x 1,100hp RR Merlin IV; max speed 366mph at 15,000ft; range 500 miles and service ceiling 37,000ft.

Saturday, October 29th 2011, 5:16pm

I can see it being useful as a conversion trainer, but not really as a fighter combat trainer. You're not streaming green pilots into fighter training - they should presumably already have their wings and be able to fly already. More advanced training with regards to tactics really has to be taught on the ground and then flown by self because you're training yourself how to react rather than how to actually do manoeuvres. I'm not sure how period appropriate it is, but you can also have airbourne lessons between an instructor and trainee; the instructor sets up various scenarios in the air but acts as a real reacting red aircraft.

I'm not really sure how useful the Spitfire conversion trainer would be itself. There were no major handling vices for pilots so conversion should actually be fairly simple. It's not like a big multi-engined type.

Saturday, October 29th 2011, 5:30pm

Bulgaria requests to buy six with the 1,650hp Merlin engine.

Saturday, October 29th 2011, 6:05pm

Well its a big step from aircraft like the Miles Master, and some air forces in Wesworld don't have high-perfornance advanced trainers, to aircraft like the Spitfire and even more powerful fighters.
Anyhow some of the current Spitfire customers might want some, like Bulgaria, and some might want a fast trainer irrespective of thier fighter fleet.

Not only that but with the C Wing your're getting a two-seat fighter so when times are tough you still have a fighter and in peacetime you can have a trainer. Also that backseater in wartime could be a navigator, spotter etc etc.

Saturday, October 29th 2011, 7:04pm

Well, the Master's a very good advanced trainer for the Hurri and Spitfire, so I wouldn't be too worried about graduating pilots straight from Masters into Spitfires. When we get to the early jets I would see a much stronger case for a two-seat fighter trainer, but I think there's a decent argument to be made for the two-seater Spitfire.