You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, September 19th 2011, 10:38am

polish medium bomber

Lublin LWS-12 AN-2 (mod. 1942)

This is a drawing of a polish medium bomber which will be introduced in limited numbers. I will be the only medium bomber in the polish airforce and it will be used for night operation exclusively as the polish aircraft industry could not compensate the losses that would be sustained in daylight bombings within an acceptable timeframe.
The bomber is supposed to operate in small groups (4 - 8 planes), drop bombs especially on civilian targets and infrastructuce in the enemy mother land. Small Targets such as vehicles and trains can be strafed with the considerable gun-armament.
The direct effect of those attacks will be low but the polish air command thinks that it will have a big psychological impact on the enemy population and may tie considerable military resources (night fighters, flak etc.) of the enemy.
The performance statistics of the plane are top-secret.....However Dresden, Leipzig, Madgeburg, Dessau, Halle, Berlin, Königsberg to name a few will be within combat range....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Monday, September 19th 2011, 3:57pm

An interesting looking design; it seems rather like a scaled down PE-8 with radial engines. The length seems a bit too long, but without a plan view the side view isn't definitive. Overall it has a delicate look to it.

The defensive armament is rather light; nothing for ventral defense, and while the waist positions might accommodate gunners, they do not add much. The bomb aimer is not going to be happy with the fixed forward guns right over his head.

Monday, September 19th 2011, 5:26pm

I agree with you, looks a bit too long....
Concerning the guns above the bomb aimer's position is not optimal but as I discribed the Plane is used more in a multi porpuse role comparable to german "Zerstörer" as in a classic medium bomber role. Therefore the guns are needed. External gunpods would decrease the top speed.
Don't know if I would agree on the defensive Armament issue. Compared to allied medium bombers it is maybe too light....but as I mentioned the plane has a totally different role within the polish air doctrine...there will be no carpet bombins with hundreds of planes. If encountered by enemy nightfighters the first choice would be evasion.

Lublin LWS-12 CN-2 (mod. 1942)
- shortened airframe

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Daidalos" (Sep 19th 2011, 5:28pm)

Monday, September 19th 2011, 5:41pm

Lublin LWS-12 B-4 (mod.1942)

This variant will be introduced in very limited numbers as sea reconnaissance plane for the the polish naval air arm.

Monday, September 19th 2011, 6:24pm

I like this design, looking forward to more.

Monday, September 19th 2011, 9:52pm

I like it too. I think it's a good choice to go with an multi-role aircraft. I know it's very difficult, but i would like to see a top or front view of this aircraft :D

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 10:55am

Quoted

Originally posted by parador
I like it too. I think it's a good choice to go with an multi-role aircraft. I know it's very difficult, but i would like to see a top or front view of this aircraft :D

I would also, as I suspect would most of those following this thread.

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 10:58am

Well, don't know if I will find time to do that.... it's much work with paint.....