You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 6:58pm

The Hungarian Army 1940-41

The potential composition of the post-Trianon Hungarian Army had been discussed about a year ago.

While there was general agreement on the overall size, details were not worked out at that time. On Brock's suggestion I have proposed to provide some additional details on force structure, composition and equipment.

This thread is to collect such information and to provide a place for comment.

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 7:06pm

Structure of the Hungarian Army 1940

The current forces of the Hungarian Army comprise seven regional 'corps' and one Mobile Corps, detailed as follows.

The regional corps are, in effect, miniature divisions and would, upon mobilization, provide cadres for two war-service divisions - each existing infantry brigade providing the core of the mobilized division and the divisional troops being divided and joined with mobilized recruits.

The Mobile Corps is intended to provide a cavalry division and - subject to available equipment - an armored force of divisional strength.

Troop tables and details of current equipment will follow.

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 8:14pm

Troop Table - Hungarian Infantry Battalion

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 8:55pm

Troop Table - Hungarian Infantry Regiment

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 8:56pm

Troop Table - Hungarian Infantry Brigade

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 10:25pm

Troop Table - Hungarian Hussar Regiment

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 11:44pm

Troop Table - Hungarian Bicycle Infantry Battalion

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 2:31am

Troop Table - Hungarian Artillery Regiment

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 3:38am

Troop Table - Hungarian Reconnaissance Battalion

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 12:38pm

Blimey you've been busy!

All looks good to me. I've no complaints or suggestions to improve these OOBs. I like the use of bicycles and cavalry, the Hussars have a fine tradition.

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 1:16pm

Thank you!

I have a few more troop tables to do - while there are a lot more that could be done, there is little need to do them for an NPC nation.

Next task will be to begin detailing the equipment.

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 1:17pm

Troop Table - Hungarian Horse Artillery Regiment

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 1:18pm

Troop Table - Hungarian Engineer Battalion

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 2:39pm

Summary for Consideration - Small Arms

I would propose for consideration the following small arms for use by the Hungarian Army:

Pisztoly 29M – Model 1929 Automatic Pistol (9x17mm) – indigenous design (OTL)
Pisztoly 37M – Model 1937 Automatic Pistol (9x17mm) – indigenous design (OTL)

Gyalogsági Ismétlõ Puska M95 – Model 1895 Infantry Rifle (8x50mmR) – Mannlicher design, of Great War vintage
Gyalogsagi Hosszú Puska 31M – Model 1931 Infantry Rifle (8x56mmR) – indigenous development of Mannlicher Model 1895
Gyalogsagi Puska 35M – Model 1935 Infantry Rifle (8x56mmR) – indigenous development of the Puska 31M

Gepkarabely 39M – Model 1939 Submachinegun (9x25mm) – indigenous design (OTL)

Solothurn Golyószóró 31M – Model 1931 Light Machinegun (8x56mmR) – of Swiss origin, license built and imported

Schwarzlose Géppuska 07/31 – Model 1907/31 Heavy Machinegun (8x50mmR) – Schwarzlose design, of Great War vintage
Schwarzlose Géppuska 07/31 – Model 1912/31 Heavy Machinegun (8x56mmR) – Schwarzlose design, of Great War vintage

The 39M "Danuvia" submachinegun is an indigenous design first introduced in small numbers in 1940 (OTL). I propose that it's development would have been pursued in WW and would be coming into limited service.

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 2:44pm

Summary for Consideration - Infantry Support Weapons

I would propose for consideration the following infantry support weapons for use by the Hungarian Army:

Model 35M Light Trench Mortar – Hotchkiss Brandt Mle 35 (60mm) – of French origin, built under license
Model 31M Medium Trench Mortar – Hotchkiss Brandt Mle 31 (81mm) – of French origin, built under license

Model 36M Antitank Rifle - Solothurn S-18/1000 (20mm) – of Swiss origin, imported

I have not found specific data on trench mortars used by the OTL Hungarian Army; the French-designed Hotchkiss-Brandt weapons were widely used by European nations in the OTL and are in wide-spread use in WW. I propose that they were adopted by the WW Hungarian Army and manufactured domestically to meet local needs.

The Solothurn antitank rifle was adopted by the OTL Hungarian Army in small numbers and would be used in WW as a substitute antitank weapon.

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 2:53pm

Summary for Consideration - Artillery

I would propose for consideration the following artillery weapons for use by the Hungarian Army:

Model 35M Antitank Gun – Breda Cannone de 47/32 M32 (47mm) – of Italian origin, imported

Model 15M Mountain/Infantry Gun – Skoda M15 (75mm) – of Great War vintage
Model 17/35M Light Field Gun – Skoda M17 (nominal 80mm, actual 76.5mm), modernized – design of Great War vintage
Model 14/35M Light Field Howitzer – Skoda M14 (100mm), modernized – design of Great War vintage

Model 30M Light Antiaircraft Gun – Oerlikon (20mm) – of Swiss origin, imported
Model 36M Light Antiaircraft Gun – Bofors (40mm) – OTL Swedish weapon; in OTL manufactured under license
Model 29 Heavy Antiaircraft Gun – Bofors (80mm) – OTL Swedish weapon

The OTL Hungarian antitank gun, the 37mm PAK36, was not adopted by the WW Heer. Italian support for the Hungarian Army has been mentioned previously, so I propose that small numbers of the 47mm Breda were acquired as the Hungarian Army's primary antitank gun

The Skoda weapons forming the bulk of the artillery park are all of Great War vintage and are presumed to be hold-overs from the old Austro-Hungarian Army. Many of the weapons are presumed to have been modernized and fitted for motor traction.

The Oerlikon 20mm autocannon is a common weapon in WW armies and is proposed as LAA weapon for the Hungarian Army.

The OTL Bofors 40mm LAA gun was manufactured in Hungary in relatively large numbers. I propose that it is in low-rate production for Hungarian service.

The OTL Bofors Model 1929 HAA gun was manufactured in 80mm for Hungary. I propose that relatively small numbers were acquired for domestic air defense.

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 2:57pm

Those proposed weapons look ok to me. I see no problems with them.
Using Hotchkiss Brandt and licence-producting them seems an obvious choice as they were the standard-setting mortars of the day.

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 10:33pm

Proposal - Indigenous Tank Design

Historically Hungary's first tanks were a number of Italian Ansaldo tankettes acquired in the early 1930s. In last year's discussion of Hungary, there appeared to be a consensus that this was viable in WW.

The next series of OTL Hungarian tanks were based on Swedish Landsverk designs, on which the player base was not able to reach a consensus at that time.

The Toldi Light Tank is not a very sophisticated vehicle and its indigenous development would not be unreasonable for a nation with a modest industrial base and access to foreign design assistance. I would therefore propose that Hungary did proceed with such development and in 1940 would begin to field its first indigenously-designed tanks. The proposed design follows. I invite you comments on whether this is a reasonable development.

40M Toldi Light Tank

Length: 4.75 m
Width: 2.14 m
Height: 1.87 m
Weight: 8.5 tons
Speed: 47 kph (road), 25 kph (off-road)
Range: 190 km (road)
Armament: One 20mm 36M gun with 208 rounds and one coaxial 8mm 34/37M machinegun with 1,400 rounds
Armour: Hull: front: 33mm; side 13mm; belly 10mm; roof 6mm; Turret: front 33mm; side 13mm, roof 6mm
Engine: Ganz-built eight-cylinder Büssing NAG 155hp petrol engine
Crew: 3

(stats are all OTL)

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 10:39pm

I have no objections to the Toldi being fully developed by Hungary.

Monday, August 29th 2011, 11:37am

No objections from me, the Toldi looks a nice little tank. A nice stepping stone to bigger things and teaches them the basics of armoured warfare and is capable enough to defend the nation without seriously upsetting its neighbours.