You are not logged in.

Sunday, July 11th 2004, 4:09am

Destroyers

I have recently designed a couple of destroyers, laid down between 1900 and 1915 but I have come up with some questions:

1. When was tripple and quad torpedo tubes started to be used.

2. How was the aritllery evold on destroyers, I know the grew from like 75mm in 1914 to 120mm in 1918.

3. What's the diffrence between a torpedoboat and a Destroyer in the german Hochseeflotte, they look quite similar to me?

4. Do you know any good site on WW1 destroyers and torpedoboats?

Tuesday, July 13th 2004, 1:37am

I can answer a few questions for you. Triples began making an appearance on british destroyers with the V and W class DD's laid down in 1917, and were carried over in the Shakespeare and Admiralty leader class's. The triple mount made an earlier appearance on the British build Aetos class destroyers for the Greeks in 1911. It wasn't till the DD leader Codrington and the A class in 1928 that quads got introduced. HMS Glowworm was the first British DD to mount quintuple mounts reintroduced later in the I, J, K and L class DD's.

The French started using triple mounts on the 2100 tonnes (Chacal) class laid down in 1922/23 and then the 2400 tonnes (Bison) class. After that they tried various combinations of torpedo setups first with the last two ships of the follow on to the Bison class, the Aigle class DD's Milan and Epervier which ditched a triple mount in exchange for two double mounts. They continued this arrangement with the Cassard class untill the Le Fantasque class were laid down with thre triple mounts. The follow-on Mogador class featured two twins and two triples. As far as I can tell the French had no quad mountings in or prior to WW2.

The germans started with triples in 1925 with their type 23 class torpedo boats and moved to quads on their type 34 (Leberecht Maass) class DD's. Our Geman natives on the board may be able to tell you when the germans planned to introduce a quintuple mount if it was in the works.

The Italians introduced triples in 1924 with the Sauro class and from what I can tell were quite content to keep it to triples on their destroyers.

The Japanese began using the triple mount on their Special Type (Fubuki) class in 1926, and moved to quads on the Shiratsuyu class in 1933. The only Japanese destroyer to build with a quintuple mount was the Shimikaze laid down in 1941.

The U.S. used triple mounts on the Wickes and Clemson (four stackers) class's in 1917/18. they then moved to quads in the Farragut class in 1932 and then quintuples on the Benson class in 1938.

Tuesday, July 13th 2004, 2:00pm

destroyers

Thanka,

I just uploaded my destroyers on my homepage, there seams taht I'm a couple of years ahead om time, my F-class from 1917 carries quads and the D-class from 1904 a triple tube.